Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Khoresh Sabzi - Persian Herb Stew

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:50 am
I am sure many of you have your family's recipe. This was my first time making this stew and I thought it was delicious.

Khoresh Sabzi

Excerpt From: Limor Chen - My Tel Aviv Table

Persian Herb Stew

Khoresh sabzi, or ghormeh gabzi, is a fragrant green stew full of herbs, cooked with red kidney beans and dried lime. It’s considered one of Iranian cuisine’s most iconic dishes, passed down through generations. My father taught my mum how to make various types of khoreshs (stews) and she used to cook the most exquisite sabzi, usually for Friday night dinner and always served with basmati rice. She appreciated its nutritional value, and we appreciated its delicious taste! The dried lime and dried fenugreek leaves are two ingredients that are important to create the distinct flavour; both can be found in Middle Eastern shops.

SERVES: 4

2 medium onions, diced
2 tbsp rapeseed/canola or vegetable oil
600g/1lb 5oz lamb, diced (can be made with beef)
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
90g/3¼oz/½ cup dried red kidney beans, soaked for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight, or ½ x 400g/14oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 dried limes, crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
Large bunch (150g/5½oz) of coriander/cilantro, finely chopped without the stalks (the herbs can be prepared in a food processor)
Large bunch (150g/5½oz) of parsley, finely chopped without the stalks
½ bunch (75g/2¾oz/2 cups) of mint leaves, finely chopped without the stalks
2 tbsp dried fenugreek
3 tsp soft brown sugar
1½ tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
Sprinkle of sumac, to garnish

In a large saucepan, sauté 1 diced onion (keep the other for later) on a medium heat with a splash of the oil for 3–4 minutes. Once slightly golden, add the lamb and sear on all sides, stirring constantly. Add the cumin and coriander and mix for 2 minutes.

Add enough water to cover the lamb by about 1cm/½in (about 1.5l/52fl oz/6½ cups) and bring to the boil. Add the beans and dried limes, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 1½–2 hours, covered, until the meat is tender, skimming off any foam from the top.

In a large frying pan, sauté the other onion on a medium heat with a splash of oil for about 3–4 minutes. Add the turmeric and stir for a further minute, then add all the chopped herbs. Turn down the heat to low and mix it all together, stirring occasionally until the herbs have wilted and turned a darker green, about 5 minutes. This is important because by doing this the herbs will create the unique flavour and texture for this dish.

Add the herbs to the saucepan with the meat. Add the dried fenugreek, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Simmer for another hour to allow the flavours to develop and the sauce to reduce.

Serve this green aromatic herby stew with white basmati rice and a sprinkle of sumac.

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:55 am
Looks yummy, but wow that's a long list of ingredients.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 11:57 am
DrMom wrote:
Looks yummy, but wow that's a long list of ingredients.

It's mostly spices. I generally put together all the spices and herbs that are added in a miniature bowl along with the rest of the ingredients.

Then when I am cooking I just dump them in - I.e. I put together all the stuff that is added together.

Can of beans - I didn't cook the beans from scratch. Very Happy

I did the greens in a food processor so that was super fast and easy

I try to prep as much as possible when I have time and feel energetic.

If you look at the ingredients they are pretty much basic pantry ingredients except for the dried lime which I had to source when I decided to try the recipe.

workingmom613

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 2:02 pm
They Sell the mix frozen in pomegranate And u can buy that add water and dried limes And I add chunks of meat as well Don’t tell me mil

chestnut

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:00 pm
Where do you get dried limes? Are they essential? Can I sub fresh limes?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 3:06 pm
chestnut wrote:

They should be available at any kosher market that has Sephardic shoppers. I got mine in Los Angeles at Glatt Kosher. They are also widely available through mail order

Fresh limes aren’t a substitute as these are more like a dried spice than a citrus juice.

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 4:39 pm
I make ghormeh sabzi all the time, it's so good. It also comes out great in an instant pot. With a crisp crunchy tadig it's absolutely incredible.

samantha1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:07 pm
workingmom613 wrote:
They Sell the mix frozen in pomegranate And u can buy that add water and dried limes And I add chunks of meat as well Don’t tell me mil

You can also buy them dry in a can in evergreen .I won’t tell your mil if you don’t tell mine.

samantha1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:10 pm
chestnut wrote:

I do fresh lemon juice and it comes out amazzzzzing. I can’t get dried limes where I live so I do tht instead

samantha1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:12 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am sure many of you have your family's recipe. This was my first time making this stew and I thought it was delicious.

Khoresh Sabzi

Excerpt From: Limor Chen - My Tel Aviv Table

Persian Herb Stew

Khoresh sabzi, or ghormeh gabzi, is a fragrant green stew full of herbs, cooked with red kidney beans and dried lime. It’s considered one of Iranian cuisine’s most iconic dishes, passed down through generations. My father taught my mum how to make various types of khoreshs (stews) and she used to cook the most exquisite sabzi, usually for Friday night dinner and always served with basmati rice. She appreciated its nutritional value, and we appreciated its delicious taste! The dried lime and dried fenugreek leaves are two ingredients that are important to create the distinct flavour; both can be found in Middle Eastern shops.

SERVES: 4

2 medium onions, diced
2 tbsp rapeseed/canola or vegetable oil
600g/1lb 5oz lamb, diced (can be made with beef)
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
90g/3¼oz/½ cup dried red kidney beans, soaked for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight, or ½ x 400g/14oz can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 dried limes, crushed
½ tsp ground turmeric
Large bunch (150g/5½oz) of coriander/cilantro, finely chopped without the stalks (the herbs can be prepared in a food processor)
Large bunch (150g/5½oz) of parsley, finely chopped without the stalks
½ bunch (75g/2¾oz/2 cups) of mint leaves, finely chopped without the stalks
2 tbsp dried fenugreek
3 tsp soft brown sugar
1½ tsp salt
2 tbsp lemon juice
Sprinkle of sumac, to garnish

In a large saucepan, sauté 1 diced onion (keep the other for later) on a medium heat with a splash of the oil for 3–4 minutes. Once slightly golden, add the lamb and sear on all sides, stirring constantly. Add the cumin and coriander and mix for 2 minutes.

Add enough water to cover the lamb by about 1cm/½in (about 1.5l/52fl oz/6½ cups) and bring to the boil. Add the beans and dried limes, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 1½–2 hours, covered, until the meat is tender, skimming off any foam from the top.

In a large frying pan, sauté the other onion on a medium heat with a splash of oil for about 3–4 minutes. Add the turmeric and stir for a further minute, then add all the chopped herbs. Turn down the heat to low and mix it all together, stirring occasionally until the herbs have wilted and turned a darker green, about 5 minutes. This is important because by doing this the herbs will create the unique flavour and texture for this dish.

Add the herbs to the saucepan with the meat. Add the dried fenugreek, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Simmer for another hour to allow the flavours to develop and the sauce to reduce.

Serve this green aromatic herby stew with white basmati rice and a sprinkle of sumac.

Can I ask , do u actually check all those herbs for bugs?

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:34 pm
samantha1 wrote:
Can I ask , do u actually check all those herbs for bugs?

You don’t use parsley or mint to cook?

samantha1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:46 pm
Amarante wrote:

I use the dried chopped herbs in a can

samantha1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:47 pm
Amarante wrote:

Did u mean in general? Not so much but when I do I buy prechecked, but this would need a lot which would cost a fortune.

shani1

Post Tue, Nov 14 2023, 6:48 pm
samantha1 wrote:
You can also buy them dry in a can in evergreen .I won’t tell your mil if you don’t tell mine.

Lol that’s what I do. I buy the saadaf can of ready sabsi herbs. And when I told my mil about it she asked me to buy a few cans for her too!

LO

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 7:46 am
My husband is trying to limit red meat. Would this be possible to make with chicken or turkey? Has anyone tried?

samantha1

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 8:47 am
LO wrote:
My husband is trying to limit red meat. Would this be possible to make with chicken or turkey? Has anyone tried?

I’m sure would b fine. My father is off meat, I made it for him with beans and mushrooms instead of meat .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics