Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Stew

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:42 pm
I would like to make some type of stew for supper. What meat can I buy for this? Beef stew cubes usually end up being chewy...can I put a roast or something?
What's affordable and soft?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 12:44 pm
Stew meat shouldn’t be chewy. Are you cooking it long enough? Stew needs low and slow

tweety1

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:30 pm
Finger meat! It's delicious. When cooked low and slow it literally melts in your mouth.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 2:57 pm
As posted stew meat shouldn't be chewy as it is intended to be braised.

The standard way to braise is to initially have the pot come to a boil and then IMMEDIATELY turn it down very low so it is simmering. If you boil animal protein it will become very tough,

My rcommebdation would be to cook longer at a lower flame and add vegetables a bit after the meat so they aren't over done,

Or you could be getting bad meat as anything cut up could be a mishmash of the worst cuts of meat.

You could buy a nice chuck roast and then just cut it up yourself as it is easy to do - you don't need butchering skills. That way you are assured you have good quality chuck roast. Just make sure that your pieces are more or less same size.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Dec 05 2023, 3:12 pm
American beef stew meat. Sear it first and make sure recipe includes a tenderizer such as beer or red wine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics