Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are you wearing a star of david?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 5:52 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Not only is it a matter of IYKYK, but even IYK, you may be wrong. There are other groups who dress modestly, and I myself have mistakenly thought that someone was an Orthodox Jew based on his or her mode of dress, only to find out that this was not so. The rabbi of our nearby Reform temple looks fresh out of Central Casting for Yeshivish: Big black kippah, dark charcoal-grey suit, white shirt, narrow dark tie, neat beard. One of my college professors also sported a neat short beard, white shirt and dark pants, and until the end of the semester I figured he was frum. No kippah, but technically he doesn't have to cover his head if he's not walking daled amos, davening or eating, none of which he did in class. He was Jewish, yes, but not Orthodox.The young woman in the midi-length skirt, twinset and half-pony hairdo is a member of a very conservative Protestant denomination.

I have no problem with Jews, secular or religious, wearing a Magen David. Your tzitzis is not designed to announce to others that you're a Jew; it's to remind YOU that you are and you have mitzvos to keep. You want to wear a Magen David, a menorah, a mezuzah, a dreidel or a piece of gefilte fish (Ashkenazim only) to announce to others that you're proud to be a Jew, kol hakavod.

What I have a problem with is nonJews who wear a Magen David.

Why are you bothered that non jews wear a star of david? Maybe they're pro Israel, jewish and you don't know it, or have Jewish relatives.

amother
Aconite

Post Wed, Nov 15 2023, 6:55 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:
Why are you bothered that non jews wear a star of david? Maybe they're pro Israel, jewish and you don't know it, or have Jewish relatives.

Most of the time they're just delusional Christians who think they're the real Jews

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 8:29 am
amother DarkRed wrote:

1. Its cultural appropriation. It's MY symbol, not theirs.

2. It gives the false impression that they're Jewish. Wearing a Magen David is not generally saying "I support Israel" or "I love my Jewish daughter in law." It means "I'm proud to be a Jew." And especially if the person is single, well, don't you see why that could be a problem?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics