Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Should I stop the medication? He can’t sleep. Help

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:12 pm
My son started focalin a few days ago and since he started he can’t fall sleep at night. Will this side effect go away soon or should I stop the medication?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:26 pm
Is it extended release? We had this issue so switched to the regular and it resolved.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Is it extended release? We had this issue so switched to the regular and it resolved.

Yes because we already tried the regular and he reacted badly to it

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 7:51 pm
Did you ask the doctor who prescribed it?

Insomnia is a known long-term side effect of this class of drugs. Maybe you can try lowering the dosage.

But if that doesn't help, I'd stop it. I can't imagine that the benefits outweigh such a major side effect.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:14 pm
For my son, it was temporary and then after a few nights he was able to fall asleep regularly.
Can you change the time of day when he takes it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:37 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Did you ask the doctor who prescribed it?

Insomnia is a known long-term side effect of this class of drugs. Maybe you can try lowering the dosage.

But if that doesn't help, I'd stop it. I can't imagine that the benefits outweigh such a major side effect.

He’s on the lowest dose. I don’t know if I should give it to him again tomorrow morning and I won’t be able to reach the doctor until after the weekend. He fell asleep at 11 tonight. He’s usually sleeping by 8

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:38 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
For my son, it was temporary and then after a few nights he was able to fall asleep regularly.
Can you change the time of day when he takes it?

I’ve been giving it to him first thing in the morning. Is there a better time?

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:48 pm
Did you ask your Dr about using melatonin?

My daughters psychiatrist didn't want her on melatonin regularly (shes ok with boys taking it) and gave her an additional non stimulant to take before bedtime that one of the side effects is drowsiness. She used to take gaunfaucine for that and now has switched to clonidine which is more drowsy making and was needed when her focalin dose went up.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:48 pm
My son is also on adhd meds. Not that one. He gets melatonin every night to fall asleep.
Unfortunately it's a well known and very annoying side effect.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 22 2023, 8:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’ve been giving it to him first thing in the morning. Is there a better time?

For some kids, there's a rebound effect. They take the stimulant and it settles them. Then it begins to wear off later in the day and that can cause insomnia. So they take a short-acting medicine later in the day. But if your son has only been taking it for a few days, it might be a side effect that will subside.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)