Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any advice/leads for a child with low immunity?
Previous  1  2

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 7:44 pm
happyone wrote:
Please have her tested for igg, iga deficiency. There are treatment options such as IVIG. Vitamins won't help if a child is truly deficient, so simple labs would be recommended before embarking on a natural route.

I have an an appointment with the pediatrician, I hope he'll agree to do a full blood work-up so I'll have what to work with.
It'll be easier then groping in the dark.

The problem is that they don't see any of it as a major problem- and it's difficult for them to see the full picture bc I don't see the same doctor at each visit. When she needs to see a doctor I call in, and as she usually needs a same day appointment I just get to see whoever's on duty.

The last app when I got yet another course of antibiotics the doc said 'don't worry it's just xyz infection it'll clear up in a few days' (it didn't) I felt like saying 'I should know,I live with this child!'

Maybe I should have done.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:51 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
I have an an appointment with the pediatrician, I hope he'll agree to do a full blood work-up so I'll have what to work with.
It'll be easier then groping in the dark.

The problem is that they don't see any of it as a major problem- and it's difficult for them to see the full picture bc I don't see the same doctor at each visit. When she needs to see a doctor I call in, and as she usually needs a same day appointment I just get to see whoever's on duty.

The last app when I got yet another course of antibiotics the doc said 'don't worry it's just xyz infection it'll clear up in a few days' (it didn't) I felt like saying 'I should know,I live with this child!'

Maybe I should have done.

Can you ask for a referral to an immunologist?
Where about are you located? Maybe someone here can suggest a Dr in your area.

amother
Molasses

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 8:53 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
At what age did she did she grow out of it?

She’s 6 now. Still getting sick more frequently than my other kids, but not as dramatic as in the past.

Lemonade 2323

Post Mon, Nov 27 2023, 9:05 pm
amother Molasses wrote:

That's what I'm hoping for.
I'll look into which ones my insurance will cover.
Prob come back here for a recommendation...

Thanx all those who took time to answear.

Lemonade 2323

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 12:59 pm
happyone wrote:
Please have her tested for igg, iga deficiency. There are treatment options such as IVIG. Vitamins won't help if a child is truly deficient, so simple labs would be recommended before embarking on a natural route.

UPDATE: I called my pediatrician who sent a referral to the hospital for an appointment this afternoon.
They will do the necessary blood-work to check his immunity etc.

Thanks for this post which encouraged me to check before embarking on vitamins and what not.

Lemonade 2323

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Molasses wrote:

Thank you Molasses.

Please read my previous post.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 1:04 pm
happyone wrote:
Vitamins and supplements can absolutely help with antibody levels. It really depends on why they're low, but true primary immunodeficiencies are rare.

Lemonade 2323

Post Tue, Nov 28 2023, 4:20 pm
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Vitamins and supplements can absolutely help with antibody levels. It really depends on why they're low, but true primary immunodeficiencies are rare.

In a regular healthy child I agree. But the daughter I posted about was a preemie, born with multiple health problems. She was in and out of hospital the 1st 3 years of her life. She was on supplemental oxygen for much of that time & fed via an NG tube.

She's had low immunity in the past which she's been treated for.
Although vitamins etc have helped somewhat I agree with the advice of some posters saying she should have blood-work done before embarking further.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics