Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
I was supposed to be a twin

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:44 am
I was supposed to be a twin. My mother miscarried one.
Does that make me genetically predisposed to having twins?

myfriends715

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:49 am
it depends if your other twin was identical or fraternal.. there is a genetic trait to fraternal twins but identical twins is just a "accident:

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:49 am
I always heard twins "skip" a generation - dont knwo it its true or not

Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 11:57 am
Pineapple wrote:

In my family we have fraternal twins. It skips a generation (by us dunno medical facts). I better watch out cause my generation is an "on" one.

greentiger

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:23 pm
I have heard that too, but even if it IS true you have no way of knowing if your grandmother also ovulated two eggs and they just werent fertilised -baiscly it may have skipped a generation but just cuz there are no twins YET doesn't mean anything. Just thought that was interesting.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:44 pm
Pineapple wrote:

I've heard that as well. My father is a twin and we don't know if he and his brother or identical or not. When I was pregnant (and carried big) with my son, I had EVERYONE bothering me--Oh it's for sure twins because you're sooo big AND it skips a generation. I knew I was right but NOBODY else believed me!
My grandmother claims that there was NO history at all of twins in the family but I guess you can't really know that because unfortunately in the "alte heim" shtetle life of Eastern Europe nobody really kept track of things like infant mortality rates--say there was a twin who died at birth, etc. There's really no way of knowing so far back.
My grandmother likes to say she had twins before it was "fashionable."

Strawberry

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 2:57 pm
well my father is a twin and my great grandfather (his fathers father) was a twin. Tons of cousins are twins and it really does go by every other generation from simple calculations. I'm just aware of the possibility.....thats all.

Zus

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:14 pm
It skips a generation if it's on the father's side. If your father has frat twins in his family (he is a twin or one of his parents etc), he himself can't 'make' a set of twins because he can't influence his wife's ovulation, but he can pass the 'double ovulation gene' on to his children so that his daughters could have twins again too. That's how it seems to skip a generation.

If it's on the mother's side, you can have generations of mothers and daughters and granddaughters who are all twins.

KiKi

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:25 pm
Two sets of twins in for our family! One set of twins, a sandwich, then come the youngest set! And I'm one of 'em! Is there a likelihood that I will have twins...? I also heard that it sorta skips a generation... Oh well.. Preg now with my first iyh... @ 1st dr's visit, one of the questions: any history of twins? I'm like Yah, BIG TIME! My mom has like 9 sets in her family, both of her sisters have twins (only 1 set) and my dad's side, 2 twins, but not within the immediate family... Strong likelihood, huh?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:28 pm
My mother is a twin and she never had twins. her father was also a twin. Noone in my family ever had twins, including my parents' grandchildren.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:38 pm
And then there are people like me - no twin history in the family at all, and I had identicals!

Zus

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 3:39 pm
Yeah me too. But identical twins aren't genetic as far as we know. Just a fluke of nature.

shosh

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 4:45 pm
And I had fraternal twins, without any history of twins, as far as we know, on any side of the family!

GAMZu

Post Mon, Jul 28 2008, 7:18 pm
Zus wrote:
It skips a generation if it's on the father's side. If your father has frat twins in his family (he is a twin or one of his parents etc), he himself can't 'make' a set of twins because he can't influence his wife's ovulation, but he can pass the 'double ovulation gene' on to his children so that his daughters could have twins again too. That's how it seems to skip a generation.

If it's on the mother's side, you can have generations of mothers and daughters and granddaughters who are all twins.
That makes total sense. Smile Simple and brilliant Very Happy

raizy

Post Fri, Aug 08 2008, 12:10 am
well my mother had twins fraternal. and I was suppose to have a twins but one didnt make it. so it doesnt have to be that it skips a generation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more