Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Am I supposed to tip the guys who put my couch together?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:11 am
I ordered a couch and paid extra for white glove service, which mean the men bring the couch in and put it togehter for me. I assume I should be tipping them also, right? How much would you tip?

abound

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:14 am
Where do u live? israel No

wanttobehappy

Yes $5/10

amother
OP

In the US.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:16 am
I did a few dollars.

LeMortedeLilac

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:26 am
No. You paid for white glove service so a tip isn't required. I think the tipping culture has gotten a little out of hand, generally. I don't tip my Amazon drivers or the FedEx guy. But during holidays, I need to tip school bus drivers, monitors, garbage men, recycling men, our mail lady... I am not tipping the person who makes my coffee at Starbucks or the bagger at the grocery store. I will tip a manicurist, masseuse, hair stylist, valet parker, waiter, etc. Uch... this totally became a rant, LOL. Sorry 😞

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:30 am
I do not tip. I offer a cold drink and some snacks

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:33 am
If they do a good job I'd tip maybe 10 each.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:21 am
10 for each guy

Anonymiss 1

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 9:59 am
Yes, you should tip them. Well before tips became expected everywhere, this type of service was one where tipping was appropriate. Depends how many people/how long it takes, but $10/pp for standard service.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:51 am
Ugh I hate tipping culture.

I do tip in this scenario because they're shlepping and working hard.
But I still really dislike the expectation.

I recently ordered an acai bowl at a store and the cashier turns the tablet around so I can select tip amount or decline. Hello?? I just paid $14 for my bowl why on earth is a tip expected? Service fees should include enough to cover any expected tip.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:54 am
Anonymiss 1 wrote:
Yes, you should tip them. Well before tips became expected everywhere, this type of service was one where tipping was appropriate. Depends how many people/how long it takes, but $10/pp for standard service.

Listen, I understand what you're saying.
But if I'm paying for a service and they did exactly that, nothing extra, why the expectation of a tip?

I once had a worker do something in my house. The guy went above and beyond, swept up my floor and left the place almost cleaner than before. In that case a tip is justified. They did more than the job I paid for required.
But if I'm paying to get my nails done and that's exactly what the manicurist does, why can't payment be enough????

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 10:55 am
Yes of course.

Don't you tip movers?

I tip delivery people who just bring me the furniture (for example) let alone someone who actually puts it together and presumably places it in the room.

And depending on how long it takes them to put together $5 or $10 is very low but I have ceased to be shocked by how little some people tip - well below the norm.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette