Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Morah / Rebbe Gifts
Previous  1  2

How much are you spending per Morah/ Rebbe gift?
Free - $10  
 11%  [ 16 ]
$10 - $20  
 11%  [ 16 ]
$20 - $30  
 18%  [ 26 ]
$30 - $40  
 4%  [ 7 ]
$40 - $50  
 16%  [ 23 ]
Over $50  
 27%  [ 39 ]
I'm not giving them gifts  
 10%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 142

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:37 pm
Rebbe $150
Boys English teacher $50

Girls : they did a class collection so I contributed to that and am also giving $25 to each teacher

No bussing or therapists

But I just saw a letter in the voice from a tutor saying not enough people remember them this time of year 🤔

I’m in Lakewood

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 2:46 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Rebbe $150
Boys English teacher $50

Girls : they did a class collection so I contributed to that and am also giving $25 to each teacher

No bussing or therapists

But I just saw a letter in the voice from a tutor saying not enough people remember them this time of year 🤔

I’m in Lakewood

So morah gets 35 and rebbi 150? Why oh why? I feel like we are so misogynistic. The morah who supports her family and works through pregnancy and sleepless nights. The morah who is there for your daughter, builds her and cares for her....is worth 1/4 of the Rebbis worth? Can someone explain?

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 3:36 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
So morah gets 35 and rebbi 150? Why oh why? I feel like we are so misogynistic. The morah who supports her family and works through pregnancy and sleepless nights. The morah who is there for your daughter, builds her and cares for her....is worth 1/4 of the Rebbis worth? Can someone explain?

The rebbe is with my son 3x more hours in the year than my daughters teacher Is
I gave him extra than that because my son has major behaviour problems that take up lots of his time. My daughters do not.

Do the math and you’ll see the rebbe is with the boys 3x as many hours . At least with my kids that’s the case. Everyone complains about the rebbe getting paid more well yeah. By hours is probably less pay.

Additionally I said I contributed to the class gift for my daughter’s teachers . I’m giving another gift in addition to that.
My sons class didn’t have a collection

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:39 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Rebbe $150
Boys English teacher $50

No bussing or therapists

I’m in Lakewood

I don't understand how someone isn't embarrassed to ask for tips.
And what's 'this time of year'? Why do they need to be remembered now?

mommy100

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:46 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
In Brooklyn norm for rebbe is 200. Morah 54-100. Bus Morah 40-50. Bus driver 40-50. Therapist 50.

Therapist in Brooklyn here and $50 is definitely NOT the norm it’s on the very high end if I get at all.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 4:52 pm
When did it become the expectation to tip busdriver and bus monitors? One kid has 2 bus drivers and one bus monitor...
I'm suppose to tip all of them??

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 5:12 pm
Every year I do based on what we can afford that year and how many morahs.

This year I did $150 for the two rebbeim, chipped in for the morahs, and probably $20 range for playgroup morahs.

(The playgroup morahs get paid a lot more than the rebbeim for a lot less work! The rebbeim it’s my way of giving tzedaka to them)

gilamom

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 8:53 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
In Brooklyn norm for rebbe is 200. Morah 54-100. Bus Morah 40-50. Bus driver 40-50. Therapist 50.

huh? Not the norm in the school I work in, not the norm for the school my daughter works in and not the norm in for any of the schools my kids are in.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:24 pm
Our school PTA requests $30 per child from each family, pools it, and distributes it to all staff including admin, specials teachers etc.... not sure how they divide it up.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
The rebbe is with my son 3x more hours in the year than my daughters teacher Is
I gave him extra than that because my son has major behaviour problems that take up lots of his time. My daughters do not.

Do the math and you’ll see the rebbe is with the boys 3x as many hours . At least with my kids that’s the case. Everyone complains about the rebbe getting paid more well yeah. By hours is probably less pay.

Additionally I said I contributed to the class gift for my daughter’s teachers . I’m giving another gift in addition to that.
My sons class didn’t have a collection

Your significantly exaggerating. The rebbeim are with the boys maybe 25-50% more hours than the Morah (Morah 8:30-12:30, Rebbe 8:30-1:30 or maybe start at 7:30 and find me another job where you get paid to daven shacharis with a minyan and then Sunday 9-1) and yes their hourly rate is typically close to double the morahs.
The only reason collections aren’t made for Rebeiim is because of the ridiculous belief that men need more than the $10-20 we give the morahs.
I understand the reality and I am not fighting that , I just hate when it’s whitewashed .

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:44 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Rebbe $150
Boys English teacher $50

No bussing or therapists

I’m in Lakewood
m
As someone who tutors privately on the side, I wouldn’t expect and rarely get any sort of present from private students, because the pay is double or so what I get from teaching. The whole idea behind tips for teachers is that we get paid ridiculously low amounts.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Teachers $30, Rebbe $180, Rebbe assistant, $100, bus driver $50, bus teacher gift of dairy chocolate truffles.

What is the Rebbe assistant doing that you're giving him $100 and the teacher is only getting $30? Wildly curious what he does.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 10:14 pm
I haven't given anything yet....( I didn't get to it and now they have vacation so will give when they go back and it's still chanukah). I'm so nervous to see what the total is going to be Can't Believe It

Between my 2 older boys they have
2 Rebbe
3 English teachers
1 bus driver
1 tutor
1 speech therapist

Preschool age son
1 teacher
2 assistants
1 speech therapist
1 OT
1 Bus driver
1 Bus Morah

Baby
Babysitter

And this is just 4 kids.... Lots of people have more.
How much will the total be around Can't Believe It ? I don't want to seem cheap, and want to give something ... at the same time we dont have a lot of extra money....

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 4:27 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Your significantly exaggerating. The rebbeim are with the boys maybe 25-50% more hours than the Morah (Morah 8:30-12:30, Rebbe 8:30-1:30 or maybe start at 7:30 and find me another job where you get paid to daven shacharis with a minyan and then Sunday 9-1) and yes their hourly rate is typically close to double the morahs.
The only reason collections aren’t made for Rebeiim is because of the ridiculous belief that men need more than the $10-20 we give the morahs.
I understand the reality and I am not fighting that , I just hate when it’s whitewashed .

I did the math on a thread here last year and I’m not exaggerating.
My son’s rebbe is with him Sunday 915-2, every other day 845-3, and Friday 845-12.
My girls English yeah sf is Monday - Thursday 915-1145, and fridsy 915-1045.
In addition the boys have an extra month of school in the summer (yes a full month), and every school break the boys have off far less.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 4:43 am
I'm in Brooklyn and giving 50-75 rebbe, 25 teacher, 10 bus driver.

If it's not enough I'm more than happy to take returns.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 5:52 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
I did the math on a thread here last year and I’m not exaggerating.
My son’s rebbe is with him Sunday 915-2, every other day 845-3, and Friday 845-12.
My girls English yeah sf is Monday - Thursday 915-1145, and fridsy 915-1045.
In addition the boys have an extra month of school in the summer (yes a full month), and every school break the boys have off far less.

Not like that in any school I have ever worked out, maybe a small minority.

amother
Mulberry

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 6:02 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Not like that in any school I have ever worked out, maybe a small minority.

These are the schedules for my family and are typical of Lakewood.

care4u

Post Fri, Dec 08 2023, 7:20 am
notshanarishona wrote:

My kids' rebbeim are til 245. So it's 2+ hours more per day.
Same Sunday. All together it's 15+ hr difference per week.

Plus they start earlier in the year & end later- so a month more than girl school teachers.

Ftr, I give english/Hebrew female teachers abt the same & men/women English teachers.

It's not about gender.

There's an inyan to pay a rebbe for a son. Tuition isn't direct.

Yes, this is Lakewood schedule.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics