Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dealing with jealousy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:38 am
My oldest is 7.5 years old l, sensitive kid, very social, pretty good at reasoning. He has a hard time with jealousy.

At chanuka party his grandmother bought him the special present he asked for. He was disappointed because at the party an older cousin was showing off a similar present he just received from his parents. A present in the same category only more technologically sophisticated. I know this kid waited very long for his parent to agree to buying it for him. My son said he didn't know this model existed and if he knew it existed he would have asked for it.

My son is always like this he has very good taste and as soon as he sees someone that has something he feel he needs he wants it. if hes up to getting something form us or grandparents On the other hand we are very lucky, b"h between his grandparents and us he really get a lot. But he doesn't always get his way.

What lesson should I teach him? I validated his needs. I told him that sometimes he has special toys and his friends and cousins are also entitled to have special toys. I told him he's so lucky he asked for something and his grandmother got it for right away. This cousin begged his parents and waited so long. I told him his cousin is older and that makes a difference. My son said this boy is not much older and it usually doesnt make a difference. I told him If he still wants it at his birthday he could ask his grandmother. Did I say the wrong things?Any jewish books or cd that deals with jealousy?

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 11:52 am
I don’t have advice Just want to say these are hard issues that even adults struggle with so it’s normal for little kids to have a hard time with these big feelings too.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Dec 11 2023, 1:13 pm
There will always be a de luxe model of the new Bugaboo with genuine leather and diamonds or the new Iphone every year. You yourself need to set an example to your son. Do you emphasize you must have the newest car model or something older is good enough?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics