Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Trio, TTI, Touro, Sara Schenirer, WITS, EEC, New seminary
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 11:02 pm
I heard Touro takes some cleps now too

amother Maple wrote:
All of their different programs have pros and cons, so depending what she wants to come out with is how I would choose.

some questions to think about after deciding what Undergrad/Grad options seem to be the best fit.

How much is self study vs live classes vs prerecorded classes. Are there exams and tests from the college or do they take college level tests like cleps etc. Is she self motivated?

Some are easier to get financial aid from if that's a consideration/some give grants or scholarships.

Most of these programs are through other colleges, If she is going to work in a secular workplace, find out if the degree will say the frum college or the random college they work through.

A side note, I was told if you go to one frum program for undergrad, then it's very hard to gte into a different program for grad school. I did not find that to be the case. I switched back and forth between Touro, Sara shenirer, TTI, and Touro. They tell you they may not take you, because they want you to stay with them.

Touro undergrad seems to be the longest. most of my friends who went there seemed to finish their BA the latest.
Since TTI and Sara Schenirer accept Cleps and each others courses, you can do a lot of self work and finish pretty fast. I finished BA SS in 11 months (part time- I was working full time). No grad school's batted an eye at where my degree was from. I ended up moving to Israel so did Touro's online school for my masters, in 10 months.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 11:08 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I heard Touro takes some cleps now too

Touro always accepted CLEPS- up to 12 credits but they couldn't be for core classes or classes required for your major.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 11:23 pm
To answer your original (I think) question:

No, these degrees are not respected by the big world. Many people are able to use the BA's to get accepted into Masters programs but many colleges have "figured out" the shtick and won't take students from the frum programs.

If your daughter wants to go into HR, she should get her degree from a "real" college.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
To answer your original (I think) question:

No, these degrees are not respected by the big world. Many people are able to use the BA's to get accepted into Masters programs but many colleges have "figured out" the shtick and won't take students from the frum programs.

If your daughter wants to go into HR, she should get her degree from a "real" college.

Do you mean that Jewish employers won't take them because they understand the shtick or do you mean that Non-Jewish employers won't take them?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Do you mean that Jewish employers won't take them because they understand the shtick or do you mean that Non-Jewish employers won't take them?

The post you quoted spoke about Masters programs, not employers. Once you have your Masters no employer cares where you got your BA.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:46 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
The post you quoted spoke about Masters programs, not employers. Once you have your Masters no employer cares where you got your BA.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Now that we know that it's tough to get into grad school with a TTI degree...we'll have to search for alternative options.

Anyone wanna recommend the best non-TTI frum program?

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. Now that we know that it's tough to get into grad school with a TTI degree...we'll have to search for alternative options.

Anyone wanna recommend the best non-TTI frum program?

This is not a given. There are lots of factors involved in getting into grad school, and no one from any program is ever guaranteed to get in. A lot is about the student and their GPA rather than the specific program they went through.

eyr613

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:23 pm
If a girl does tti, can she uses any of the credits from that ba to satisfy cores or elective and continue in touro ? Can she just take prerequisites for her major in touro and then apply to grad school?

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 7:38 pm
From what I’m told sara Schneirer is the most legit of the schools in this category — that’s excluding touro and yu as they are a diff category. In ss (at least in the psychology dept) you basically take only the classes required for your major. All the rest of the extra classes you do some independent learning and take a test to receive credit— assuming you got High school and sem credit you can receive your degree in a year. You do have to be pretty motivated to do all the independent classes . But they aren’t very hard. The classes for the major seem pretty decent level and comprehensive, not lower standard thank other schools.
I don’t know how the grad school compares yet… I’ve seen graduates of some of these programs and haven’t been as impressed as those from secular schools, but honestly the world has changed, and frum girls aren’t going to secular grad schools for the most part anymore. So our decision was ss was the best option for undergrad. For grad school will prob end up with that or touro though we are told crossover may not be possible as the schools are competitive with one another.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Dec 20 2023, 8:42 pm
If your dd is interested in HR, Touro has an IOP (industrial organization psychology) master's program which would be relevant.
I did Touro for undergrad, ss for grad- I had no problem finding a job, but I work for frum companies so it doesn't say much... I would try to find people in the field she's interested in and see what they say...
I enjoyed Touro, I liked getting the "real" college experience
One negative that I found in SS (similar in most frum programs I think) is that there is no freedom to choose what interests you- you are assigned classes to register for and that's it. By Touro I took electives based on what I was interested in, which was a big plus for me.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics