Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Face moisturizer for shabbos, non pore clogging but also
Previous  1  2

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 9:40 am
amother OP wrote:
I use a lot of moisturizer before shabbos but when I wash my face on shabbos morning my face becomes dry again. Does anyone have a recommendation for a very moisturizing moisturizer? Also thanks for the suggestions, just ordered the sprays too.

We have all been saying that we’ve been taught that applying moisturizer on shabbos is assur. Does your rabbi say otherwise?

nicole81

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:17 am
amother OP wrote:
I use a lot of moisturizer before shabbos but when I wash my face on shabbos morning my face becomes dry again. Does anyone have a recommendation for a very moisturizing moisturizer? Also thanks for the suggestions, just ordered the sprays too.

If your LOR says oil is Ok, I use this one at night even though we use moisturizer on shabbat. It's just so good.

https://www.kiehls.com/skincar.....aw.ds

They have smaller sizes, too.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:11 pm
Is it permitted to put on moisturizer with a shinuy on shabbos?

healthymom1

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 3:13 pm
Only liquid oil. I love the nourishing oil from mary Kay. Helps my skin so much

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 10:34 am
amother OP wrote:

Do you not feel comfortable asking a rav? I've been taught rubbing anything into skin unless it's a medical need is an issue. If you're dryness is a medical need/you have sensory issues there may be heterim but imamother is not a rav?

I don't wash my face on shabbos either.

nicole81

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:

Girl, according to everyone but the magen avraham to my knowledge, it is a direct violation of memahek, not just muktzeh or a geder. The spreading and smoothing of a cream is memareah. No one on here is going to give you an Ok.

amother
Petunia

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:28 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Girl, according to everyone but the magen avraham to my knowledge, it is a direct violation of memahek, not just muktzeh or a geder. The spreading and smoothing of a cream is memareah. No one on here is going to give you an Ok.

It can also be an issue with refuah if the skin is dry and chapped. I don’t know if oil avoids that issue or not.

amother
Calendula

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 7:40 pm
OP maybe skip washing your face shabbos shabbos morning. That will help it feel less dry.

Just moisturize really well before shabbos with layers of hydrating serum, moisturizer and overnight cream and leave it. Then shabbos morning use a hydrating spray.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 7:58 pm
AYLOR but AIUI, you can use anything that's as runny or less runny than olive oil. You could use straight olive oil or baby oil, just a dab'll do ya, or a commercial product like Burt's Bees serum.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 8:03 pm
I’ve been using this for years, and I now use it on my kids too. I make sure to spray from far away so I don’t need to shmear it in, if you spray from close you end up with too much product in one area. It’s good for face and body and smells so good.
https://us.nuxe.com/huile-prod.....aw.ds

Jalapeño

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

it really depends what you mean by moisturizer. as others have said many (though not all) mainstream Ashkenazi opinions hold that "moisturizing cream" is not allowed, and everyone agrees that a very thick cream is assur doraiysa as it is considered memarayach/memachek or the toldah of spreading under the umbrella of smoothing .

but as many suggestions here offer up, lots of rabbis (though not all) will allow you a use a liquid "moisturizing serum" or oil that often comes in a dropper or spray bottle that you can use on your face and body freely on shabbos, assuming your skin is undamaged//in it's normal condition (as one poster mentioned re: refuah). many good product suggestions on here about this.

if you feel for whatever reason that a serum isn't sufficient (though in my experience they can be even more moisturizing than a cream) then you need to ask a rav, which really you should do either way, since stances on moisturizing serums and oils vary dramatically by community.

nicole81

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 10:08 pm
Jalapeño wrote:
it really depends what you mean by moisturizer. as others have said many (though not all) mainstream Ashkenazi opinions hold that "moisturizing cream" is not allowed, and everyone agrees that a very thick cream is assur doraiysa as it is considered memarayach/memachek or the toldah of spreading under the umbrella of smoothing .

but as many suggestions here offer up, lots of rabbis (though not all) will allow you a use a liquid "moisturizing serum" or oil that often comes in a dropper or spray bottle that you can use on your face and body freely on shabbos, assuming your skin is undamaged//in it's normal condition (as one poster mentioned re: refuah). many good product suggestions on here about this.

if you feel for whatever reason that a serum isn't sufficient (though in my experience they can be even more moisturizing than a cream) then you need to ask a rav, which really you should do either way, since stances on moisturizing serums and oils vary dramatically by community.

Even if a serum is allowed, you need to be careful with ingredients. A lot of them include AHA, BHA, Niacinamide, Vitamin C, etc. All these ingredients have functions that are meant to smooth skin which is exactly what is prohibited. But face oil with no added ingredients can be found.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 10:50 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
It can also be an issue with refuah if the skin is dry and chapped. I don’t know if oil avoids that issue or not.

I would never tell anyone on a website like this what they should or shouldn't do, & everyone will hopefully speak with their LOR. One of the beautiful aspects of halacha is different minhagim, variations, & nuances which all are a part of, & under the umbrella of, Torah miSinai.

With that preface lol, my comment just has to do with chapped lips: So I was bummed out - but happy for an opportunity for mesiras nefesh for Shabbos - when I was answered by my lor that I was unable, even for my very very chapped lips, to use a liquid oil.

He patiently explained that there were different opinions regarding if used beforehand to keep moist, as a preventative, which he held not doing; & then regarding once my lips get chapped (finally responding to post/quote here) I would be entering into the problematic area re using an oil medicinally.

The one thing I was told I could do, is when eating foods with oil, like olive oil on a salad, one can purposefully eat messily so it spreads onto one lips. Sorry, I don't think that's helpful for whole face moisturizing, at least I hope not lol

It's so important to ask one's own shilah, as I presume people will get different answers according to who they ask.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics