Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
What kind of conversation topics do you enjoy?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:31 pm
Quote:

My least bearable topics are: kids. Alternative medicine. Cleaning. Cars .

We could definitely be friends IRL.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:32 pm
bgr8ful wrote:
isnt outer space absolutely fascinating??!

I dont know too much in depth, dont have the attention span to learn the name of every star or whatever, but I love learning abt space. it really puts everything into perspective.
in high school I came across a short video about how large the world is, how every star is bigger than earth, how there are millions of galaxies with millions of stars in them, how much infinite SPACE all of that is. we cant even comprehend what it means.
I think it was the first time I felt true awe of Hashem.

Same here, too bad I’m bad at math to get much further into it. But, I love astronomy. If I were you, I’d watch the crash course on you tube by hank green on astronomy. You’ll love it and learn a lot.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:33 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Anything science. Anything involving outer space. Anything involving history. Human psychology.

I don’t have a lot of likeminded friends. My brother is my intellectual buddy.

I love psychology and astronomy as well. Watch crash courses on you tube.

bgr8ful

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:34 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Because it makes you feel smaller than an ant, compared to the universe. You start to wonder if earth really matters. It’s terrifying.

I think its also a weird sort of comfort, to be so tiny.
if G-d can control all that wild, infinite space, taking care of me is easy peasy.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Quote:

My least bearable topics are: kids. Alternative medicine. Cleaning. Cars .

We could definitely be friends IRL.

Adding sports to this.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:42 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Same here, too bad I’m bad at math to get much further into it. But, I love astronomy. If I were you, I’d watch the crash course on you tube by hank green on astronomy. You’ll love it and learn a lot.

I changed my major so I wouldn’t have to take calculus 3 and 4 😆

But got to go wide instead of deep, and it was such a joy to take classes in astronomy and geology and the History of mathematics (like how different cultures had number systems and ways of solving problems without algebra or calculus or the concept of zero, how math evolved and ideas were shared).

We have so many atlases and science books next to the dining room table because those are the kinds of topics we’ll want to reference during dinner conversation.

amother
Zinnia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:43 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
I like many many more topics. I’m not bonded to those few.

My least bearable topics are: kids. Alternative medicine. Cleaning. Cars (lol dh can talk about cars a lot).

Do you have a science degree?

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:44 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Talking about storytelling - picking apart plots and character arcs, world building in fantasy/science fiction, the technical aspects of various storytelling media (ex. the logistics of a stage adaptation vs the animated movie it’s based off of; cool cinematography techniques; musical scores and motifs)…

The more posts I see from you the more I wish we could be friends 🧡
You're super cool!

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:45 pm
I think people should add their least favorite topics too, to make it interesting.

amother
Strawberry

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:52 pm
Ooh I love talking science! Astronomy, space travel, so much fun! Really any part of science, except biology
I do love cars as well though

I also enjoy history and literature- analyzing different literary elements of good writing, good plots and characters. (Former high-school English teacher here)

I love discussing books, especially ones that talk about human behavior

Sports is probably the most boring for me

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:33 pm
Yikes. I don't think I could have a conversation with any of you people.
Why is everyone so deep and thinky? Is there anyone here that's boring like me and doesn't follow intellectual conversations? I'm not the brightest bulb out there and sometimes think I'm plain dumb when I can't follow what people are saying and don't seem as interested as they are.

I honestly don't really know what I like talking about, I have to think about that. I know what I don't like.
I don't like talking about kids clothing and shopping. I also don't care to talk about kids schedules. like some women can go on and on about their baby's naptime and it used to be this time and now it's that time and blah blah. I don't care and I don't care to talk about mine either. I hate birth stories.
No sports, no science, no math, no history, no literature. hmmm. Do I talk?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:56 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Why is everyone so deep and thinky? Is there anyone here that's boring like me and doesn't follow intellectual conversations? I'm not the brightest bulb out there and sometimes think I'm plain dumb when I can't follow what people are saying and don't seem as interested as they are.

Half of them are lying. Or let's be less blunt and say they're "posing." You think people are willing to admit they like to discuss TV shows and gossip about celebrities? But look at some of the incredibly shallow threads that show up on this site. People post things that interest them, just as they talk about things that interest them. This website is a giant gabfest onscreen.

Some topics of convo are interesting only when you're at the same stage of life. I was more than willing to discuss the merits of Pampers vs Luvs or Nuk vs Playtex when I had infants, but never before or after. There's a reason why I have blocked at least 3/4 of the forums here, namely, they're of no interest to me.

I'm intelligent if by intelligent you mean someone who was good at book learning, but I hate talk of politics, history, bad news and anything heavy. I spent a good many hours being pseudo-intellectual in my college days, and have no desire to do that ever again. I enjoy light conversation and lighthearted literature. I like people who are funny and entertaining as long as they're not phony. If I want a lesson in history or poli sci or a dvar Torah, I'll attend a lecture; I don't want that from a person sitting next to me at a dinner.

bgr8ful

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 11:59 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Half of them are lying. Or let's be less blunt and say they're "posing." You think people are willing to admit they like to discuss TV shows and gossip about celebrities? But look at some of the incredibly shallow threads that show up on this site. People post things that interest them, just as they talk about things that interest them. This website is a giant gabfest onscreen.

Some topics of convo are interesting only when you're at the same stage of life. I was more than willing to discuss the merits of Pampers vs Luvs or Nuk vs Playtex when I had infants, but never before or after. There's a reason why I have blocked at least 3/4 of the forums here, namely, they're of no interest to me.

I'm intelligent if by intelligent you mean someone who was good at book learning, but I hate talk of politics, history, bad news and anything heavy. I spent a good many hours being pseudo-intellectual in my college days, and have no desire to do that ever again. I enjoy light conversation and lighthearted literature. I like people who are funny and entertaining as long as they're not phony. If I want a lesson in history or poli sci or a dvar Torah, I'll attend a lecture; I don't want that from a person sitting next to me at a dinner.

I dont think everyone on this thread is lying. theres a difference between an intellectual snob and someone who enjoys intellectual discussions every now and again.
I could talk abt silly things for a while too, books and movies and shows im enjoying, and the stupid little things that happen throughout the day.
I do find it boring if all someone could talk abt are recipes and baby sleep schedules, but everyone has their jam.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:01 am
amother Smokey wrote:

I honestly don't really know what I like talking about, I have to think about that. I know what I don't like.
I don't like talking about kids clothing and shopping. I also don't care to talk about kids schedules. like some women can go on and on about their baby's naptime and it used to be this time and now it's that time and blah blah. I don't care and I don't care to talk about mine either. I hate birth stories.
No sports, no science, no math, no history, no literature. hmmm. Do I talk?

I think you're with me Wink

amother Garnet wrote:
Nothing, at the moment. I'd much rather quiet than have to engage in conversation. TMI

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:28 am
The topic is less important than the company. I would talk to my father about anything since I love being around him and he knows so much about a variety of topics. I am regularly surprised at his knowledge and clarity.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:12 am
Iymnok wrote:
The topic is less important than the company.

True, personality and delivery make a big difference. Some people have great stage presence and can make the phone book sound interesting. Accent on the sound. But no matter how much I love or admire someone, I will still have zero interest in certain topics. To be polite, I will always feign interest, but inside my head I'm saying " you can't possibly think I'm interested in this."

No matter how great a raconteur you are, please don't tell me the plot of books you've read. If I want to read the book, this is a spoiler, and if I don't, why would I be interested?

amother
Mocha

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 10:20 am
amother Rose wrote:
Myself Hiding
you can be my friend
I hate talking about myself and love listening to others
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics