Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids ages 3-9 and the hours of 5-8 pm are extremely tough
Previous  1  2

dena613

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:05 am
Incredible kids tehillim army at 6 PM.
Live stream at tehillimarmy.org

While older kids are occupied, bathe, change, etc younger kids

dena613

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:07 am
Does the three yo get home earlier? Can you give them attention earlier?

Can you read kids a book?

Can you have coloring sheets or specific games set up for other kids while you work with one kid on their HW?

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:17 am
I usually do bedtime myself and this is how I do it. I try to alternate bath night so I'm not bathing everyone every night. 3 year old that comes home early gets his shower right after eating when he comes home my young school age kids like your 9 year old comes home and after eating/playing he takes a shower. During my 5 minutes peace one kid off my head I do homework with young elementary age (like your 6 year old.) If homework is too long we continue in bed. The days there is no bath all kids get hand face washed. And of course teeth brushing. A couple of rules to stop chaos. Each kid gets a timer for brushing teeth . No one is allowed in the bedroom during bedtime of a sibling.

A 9 year old bedtime should be in the 8:00 hour and the 3 year old much earlier. Story time during supper so the kids listen and don't act silly. Bedtime routine is bath/washup. Quiet reading until it's their turn for lights out. Shma* and goodnight and music cd.
*5 min.ute timer to talk to mommy.

I set up a chart with times so kids know what is expected of them. I have a 7 year old she earns a trading card every 2 weekday night she in bed on time. She gets about 1 pack every 2 weeks.

It's very important for 6 year old and 9 year old to own a watch so they feel in control of bedtime

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Someone asked if they can stay in my home during the week due to a local simcha and I felt like saying no! It’s insanely hectic! I feel like a madwoman

I’m not handling this well

That’s understandable. I think people forget when they are past this stage. It’s really hard and demanding

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 12:40 am
What helps me is telling myself I am in control and can do it. Kids feel when mom is out of control and take advantage.

Be prepared for them and keep an eye out for the balance. If one kids starts up, stop it there before it is out of control. Offer a healthy snack, supper, or something to do. I find when they are busy, they find less to get on each others nerves...

Cleaning up can wait until they are in bed. It is easier yourself than doing with them awake.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:13 am
Is it possible that they are tired?
My 3 year old goes to sleep around 6:15.
6 year old at 7 and 9 year old at 8.
Each one has bis own quiet bed time.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 8:13 pm
In my house, for the ones over 7, we discuss a nighttime routine with each kid at the beginning of the school year and try to stick to it. My 9 year old can do her hmwk alone and just brings it to me to sign. The incentive for following the routine is that the last 10 minutes before their bedtime are reserved for private time with me or dh. But if they're late, they miss it. My 8 yr old cried when she misses it cuz she saves whatever little news she has during the day to tell me then!

Also, after the baby goes to sleep at 6.45 is quiet time. No more noisy games, running, screaming....u can read, color, play a calm board game, shmooze, take a shower...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics