Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
American speech therapist job in Israel?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:10 am
A friend is asking me if a licensed SLP in the US can get a job working here. She has a work visa. Assuming she can, where would she start looking for a job? Her hebrew is not very good yet.

Thanks!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:15 am
She needs to be licensed in the state she is working in as well as the state she is servicing children in. Many of us work remotely for abysmal pay, but in Israel it stretches more. I speak fluent Hebrew and it is hard finding a job there that pays well, its not worth it to work at an Israeli place. Her best best is teletherapy.

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:20 am
She can work remotely. Speech therapists can do zoom sessions. I know a few people who do this from Israel.
The problem is that she will likely be working in the evenings and late at night.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:23 am
essie14 wrote:
She can work remotely. Speech therapists can do zoom sessions. I know a few people who do this from Israel.
The problem is that she will likely be working in the evenings and late at night.

Yes, I work 4 PM- midnight. I take a one hour break to serve supper, shower etc. It is very hard as a young mother. During the day I run errands, make supper, doctor appts. I dont have a minute to breathe. Not sure how sustainable this is long term because I cant keep up like this. Also, the remote jobs do not pay as well and youwill be a 1099 employee which isnt great for maternity leave, so I have to budget in putting money aside for when I take a few weeks off after I have a baby.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:40 am
Thank you, this was very helpful information. I will pass it on. Any recommendations for teletherapy companies? She is currently licensed in Maryland.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 12:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you, this was very helpful information. I will pass it on. Any recommendations for teletherapy companies? She is currently licensed in Maryland.

Theres a facebook group called Telepractice for SLPs she can join.
The going rate is usually $55 as a 1099. It is horribly low for the amount of years we put in and the fees, loans etc. It balances out a bit in Israel since tuition is low, rent can be cheaper and insurance is basically free.
She should get licensed in NY, CA and Florida. They pay the most.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:13 am
Presence Teletherapy. they are always looking for slps.

https://presence.com/

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 1:38 am
Global teletherapy based in Maryland-tho in looking them up now-I see they joined with Presence Learning.
I’m pretty sure many in Israel work for them

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 2:09 am
U get $55 an hour living in Lakewood lol

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 2:36 am
amother Khaki wrote:
Yes, I work 4 PM- midnight. I take a one hour break to serve supper, shower etc. It is very hard as a young mother. During the day I run errands, make supper, doctor appts. I dont have a minute to breathe. Not sure how sustainable this is long term because I cant keep up like this. Also, the remote jobs do not pay as well and youwill be a 1099 employee which isnt great for maternity leave, so I have to budget in putting money aside for when I take a few weeks off after I have a baby.

Why don't you register as an atzmait in Israel? I am self-employed in the US and an atzmait in Israel (not speech therapy, but I don't see why that would make a difference). I file taxes in both countries and pay SS and bituach leumi, but I get full maternity leave paid by bituach leumi. Are you an Israeli citizen? Did you calculate that this would not be worth it to you? (It might not be, I don't know what you're paying now, but that does get you paid maternity leave for 16 weeks I believe.)

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:51 am
amother Honeydew wrote:
U get $55 an hour living in Lakewood lol

Yep. Speech is the worst job for me. I dont know anyone that is happy with it.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 11:52 am
amother Babypink wrote:
Why don't you register as an atzmait in Israel? I am self-employed in the US and an atzmait in Israel (not speech therapy, but I don't see why that would make a difference). I file taxes in both countries and pay SS and bituach leumi, but I get full maternity leave paid by bituach leumi. Are you an Israeli citizen? Did you calculate that this would not be worth it to you? (It might not be, I don't know what you're paying now, but that does get you paid maternity leave for 16 weeks I believe.)

Will look into it. Spoke to a few other SLPs in Israel and was told do it like this.
I am an Israeli citizen
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions