Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aliyah-What would you have done differently?

hugsfromhashem

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 10:06 am
This goes out to all those that made Aliyah, whether they stayed or came back.

For those that came back, what was it that made it too hard?

For those that are still there, if you had to do it over again, what things would you do differently and what do you wish you would’ve known?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 3:45 pm
I would have made sure to study something specific so that it would be easier to get a well paying job.
Other than that, nothing. But I came a long time ago and single.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 3:51 pm
Non, je ne regrette rien!
(No, I regret nothing! )
Can't think of anything that I would or should have done differently. I did my best, with a fat load of help from Hashem, and I'm still going on.
Well, maybe kept my paperwork and finances in better order. But that's a life long issue and not necessarily Aliyah related Wink

Edited to add, I came alone as an older single.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:12 pm
Nothing.

Some things seem not perfect -- I wasted all the benefits such as tax free car buying, tax free house buying, etc, by being too young and poor to utilize them.

On the other hand, had I come when I was older, I would have learned the language more slowly, had a harder time adapting, and worst case scenerio: just not came at all.

I came as a 18 YO single, btw, alone.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:25 pm
I made Aliyah as a young single. I was post college, post seminary, had more community in Israel than in America, and was horribly depressed. I came with no plan 3 weeks after getting my approval because I knew my life was going to be in Israel and I was never going to move forward or get any less depressed by staying where I was, and I wasn't going to manage to make any better plans without being less depressed. It took me months to get a stable place to live, and months more to get a job and really feel like I was on my feet.

I wouldn't say I regret doing it the way I did, because it was the best path forward, but there is absolutely nothing about the way I made Aliyah that I would recommend to anyone.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:29 pm
I made aliya as a newlywed at age 21.

I regret not buying right away. I didn't have the money then but I still don't have the money and prices have only gone up and up. We should've done everything we could to get loans back then.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:31 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I would have made sure to study something specific so that it would be easier to get a well paying job.
Other than that, nothing. But I came a long time ago and single.

Yes same. Or I should've gone to school as a newlywed here. I was too intimidated by the language. Now 12 years later, I'm more or less fluent, but logistically it would be extremely difficult to make it work.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:34 pm
I made aliyah at 19 after seminary. I think maybe being more careful with my finances, but I suspect that is more related to being young than to being in Israel.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
Yes same. Or I should've gone to school as a newlywed here. I was too intimidated by the language. Now 12 years later, I'm more or less fluent, but logistically it would be extremely difficult to make it work.
Same. But for me its over 20 years here and the thought of going back to school is beyond daunting and not happening right now. Sigh.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions