Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Double stroller - side by side or front and back?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:21 pm
I'm looking to buy a double stroller (expecting my 2nd IYH). Ideally something that's not so big and heavy, pushes well, and can take an infant car seat with adapters. I live in Brooklyn. I was in Monsey and saw that everyone there with a double stroller has one with the 2 seats side-by-side, but I don't know if that makes sense for Brooklyn because sidewalks and store aisles are narrower and more crowded here. I also don't like the idea of pushing something so wide, I feel like the posture would be uncomfortable with my arms spread so far apart. But I've heard that strollers with 2 seats front and back are hard to push. Thoughts? I've been eyeing the Cybex Gazelle.

scintilla

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:26 pm
It's a matter of personal preference and you should try out both to see which you like better. In general the pros/cons are: side by side kids are more comfortable, easier to push, takes up more room; inline I think it's called feels like pushing a truck, kids feel more squished (especially since in many options bassinet must go on bottom) but fits in narrow spaces better.

For this reason you will see that the mountain buggy duet is very popular in Brooklyn, I had it in the past and loved it!! Fits in tight spaces, pushes beautifully and is just wide enough for kids to be comfortable. Can have a bassinet too.

Other popular side by side options are valco duo and another valco that's slightly narrower, I think the valco slim twin, and the baby jogger & city options of which there are a few.

My personal opinion - hate hate the inline ones!! You couldn't pay me to push one!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:27 pm
I only have 2 and that was 20 years ago. I lived in queens, not Brooklyn. I loved the front and back for non-twins. Twins I think need a side by side, when you have an older and younger, the older cheps the younger and is best if she is not in reach.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:32 pm
I find front-and-back strollers hard to steer/turn. I have the mountain buggy and it's only 24.5 in wide, similar to front and back strollers like uppababy. Baby monsters and valco slim twin are also narrow side by side options.

That being said, my kids, ages 2 and 1, are fighting all day in the stroller so much so that I push with 1 hand and am using the other to hold one down from hurting the next... so it makes me rethink not getting a front-and-back, lol.

If I would get front and back, I would probably go for something like the cybex. Doesn't look like you're pushing a train. Haven't tried it though

amother
Sunflower

Post Thu, Jan 04 2024, 11:50 pm
From previous posts on here I know likely a majority will say they like side by side better, but I love the back and front -

Pros
- kids don't bother each other

- there are lots of squishy stores in Brooklyn - it's so much easier to fit down an aisle with such a stroller.
The really tiny stores you cant always fit a side by side down, and even the bigger stores, it blocks people more often... I can park my front to back stroller on the side of the aisle and other can pass while a side by side you offen can't do that.

- I can take the front seat off when I ever I want - a big plus in Brooklyn where not everyone has space to keep two separate strollers. So if my toddler is in playgrounp and I'm just with the baby I just easily remove the front seat. When I'm with them both I put it back on.

- when toddler is older and I just have one child who needs the stroller I could use the same one without the second seat, so I don't need to spend on another stroller

- unlike a side by side stroller, there's usually multiple configurations - like the baby can face you and the toddler to the outside and when they baby gets bigger he/she can also face outwards.... And sometimes when my kids are enjoying each other's company I let them face each other....

Cons -
-Lots of times they are harder to fold and put into a car
- people say they are heavy and hard to navigate (not an issue for me, but maybe bec I never had the other type I'm just am unaware of the difference)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics