Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Honey Getting hard
Previous  1  2

seeker

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:32 am
I don't think tap water is enough. Maybe your honey is less crystalized than mine? Mine is on the scale of bought 2lb package because it was the most cost efficient and our challah uses 1/2 c at a time - and then don't get around to making challah for half a year.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:37 am
Anything labeled honey is pure honey

Raw honey is completely unprocessed and refuse honey like the kind sold in the honey bar jars is pasteurized by t there are no ingredients added to it.

Raw honey is best described as honey “as it exists in the beehive” (1).

It is made by extracting honey from the honeycombs of the hive and pouring it over a mesh or nylon cloth to separate the honey from impurities like beeswax and dead bees (2).

Once strained, raw honey is bottled and ready to be enjoyed.

On the other hand, the production of regular honey involves several more steps before it is bottled — such as pasteurization and filtration (1).

Pasteurization is a process that destroys the yeast found in honey by applying high heat. This helps extend the shelf life and makes it smoother (2).

Also, filtration further removes impurities like debris and air bubbles so that the honey stays as a clear liquid for longer. This is aesthetically appealing to many consumers (2).

WhatFor

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:57 am
Amarante wrote:

Raw honey is completely unprocessed and refuse honey like the kind sold in the honey bar jars is pasteurized by t there are no ingredients added to it.

It is made by extracting honey from the honeycombs of the hive and pouring it over a mesh or nylon cloth to separate the honey from impurities like beeswax and dead bees (2).

On the other hand, the production of regular honey involves several more steps before it is bottled — such as pasteurization and filtration (1).

Pasteurization is a process that destroys the yeast found in honey by applying high heat. This helps extend the shelf life and makes it smoother (2).

Also, filtration further removes impurities like debris and air bubbles so that the honey stays as a clear liquid for longer. This is aesthetically appealing to many consumers (2).

According to an imamother thread from a year or two ago, this isn't true. Apparently they can legally add corn syrup and not disclose this in the US? Her son had a corn allergy and she went the distance to verify. Here's the thread:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....85810

She references another thread in her thread, and here's that one. I'm hesitant to post it, because according to the ima who actually did the research because of her son's allergy, there's false information in this thread. But I'll post it for context.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....85692

GLUE

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:58 am
In the US if the honey is not kosher for Passover there is a good chance that there is corn syrup in it.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:02 am
Amarante wrote:

Any honey from a Jewish company has added corn syrup and sugar. I am very sensitive to sugar and I don't feel good after. Raw honey I'm fine with but not the regular honey sold in Jewish stores. It tastes like pure sugar.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:18 am
So why get inferior honey with added ingredients. I have literally never encountered anything other than pure honey.

Sue Bee honey is your basic honey sold in all markets and is 100% pure honey and then there are all the special honeys that are made from specific flowers.

If I buy honey, I want pure honey just like I want pure maple syrup if I want maple syrup.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen