Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Bais Yakov of Pomona
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 5:44 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
You sound more bas mikrah type or YSV

Bais Yaakov Chofetz Chaim and Bais Yaakov of Monsey (Rabbi Portnoy) are possibilities too.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 5:46 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
We are chassiddim that don’t want to send to chassiddish schools.

When you call people like us wannabe’s, you are lumping everyone together and making assumptions about our intentions. Let alone putting yourself on a pedestal as if people envy you, whoever you are. It’s pretentious, condescending, rude and mean. We just want to live our life the way we understand is the right way.

Chassiddish places won’t work for us. If it’s a strict chassiddish place, our values don’t align. Lenient chassiddish places don’t work either because we specifically want a disciplined place that’s confident with their rules and isn’t afraid to impose them when they feel they’re important. And still, because our values are aligned, we have no problem following them.

If you look at us with disdain, please get out of your self righteous bubble and work on your middos.

There are legitimate concerns about influences and school environments. These are important considerations. But the schools that I admire are the ones that can stick to their principles without compromise and without stereotyping.

Look I’m talking from big time experience everyone with your views are a certain type! Otherwise you would all be accepted to Bais rochel

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:03 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Look I’m talking from big time experience everyone with your views are a certain type! Otherwise you would all be accepted to Bais rochel

That is really not true. Bais Rochel is extremely hard to get into to. They even don’t accept their very frum alumni’s kids.

There are lots of families who are wannabes . But then there is a whole segment of the Chasidish and heimish population like me and the amother you quoted who’s hashkafos don’t align with the Chasidish schools. Yet they care deeply about the ehrlichkeit and yiddishkeit and want to send to a school that aligns with that even if the school is not Chasidish. In Monsey it’s hard to fit in when you don’t fit into the far right Chasidish or yeshivish world and you don’t fit into the far left , the wannabes and those that are originally MO crowd . I chose to send my child to a school that many consider MO and even for me some hashkafos are more to the left . But I feel she will come out stronger and with a bigger love for yiddishkeit than sending her to a Chasidish school or even to a school like Bais Rochel. I was what a Bais Rochel parent looked like 20 years ago . I no longer fit their mold , since the school went very to the right of what they were and I don’t like schools that have a holier than though attitude, so it wasn’t a school I wanted to send my daughter to.

We each need to send our kids to schools where they would be a good fit. Even wannabes need a place too. And I was happy when BYOP opened because it meant a place for people that had a hard time finding a place. It’s sad that they are now having to be more selective due to a few bad apples.

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:30 pm
We sent to BYOP because we heard wonderful things about Mrs. Rube and were very happy with what we heard from her about her plans for the school. We were told by our Rav that they plan to have a clientele similar to YSV. We did try applying to YSV and they misplaced our application and by the time we realized and followed up with them we were basically settled on BYOP anyway. (We also tried Bas Mikrah and ... I forgot which, BY of M?, and both told us they weren't accepting applications as they were full of siblings.) I really wanted Bas Mikrah, didn't love the idea of YSV simply cuz it's so huge and I preferred a smaller school. So far very happy with BYOP, they're very warm and loving there, Mrs. Rube is very on top of things.
For reference, I would consider us JPF from yeshivish backgrounds, no TV or pets, strong hashkafic values, and the school aligns with that, I'm very happy with whatever I've seen come home from them.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

I understand that you think so. But answer me this. What do you know about me? What do our hashkafos look like? What are the rules in our house vis a vis technology? What are the books that we read? What do our shabossim look like? What level of tznius am I at? What is my driver in life? What are my opinions on any topic?

Do you know the answer to any of those questions? Humor me.

A school that cares speaks about these at the interview to see if it’s a good fit.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:03 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

What a horrible generalization!
FYI, Bais Rochel, or any other chassidish schools, hardly accept their own. So many in the box chassidish families go through hell getting their kids in to regular mainstream chassidish schools, schools from sects they belong to! Families that don't belong to any sect, have a way harder time with schools then others.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:10 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Such assumptions and generalizations are just sickening.

There are people who run away from everything and don’t like rules. True.

But there are people who want to be in place that aligns with their values. Because they want to live by their values truthfully.
See the difference?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 7:27 pm
amother Fern wrote:
We sent to BYOP because we heard wonderful things about Mrs. Rube and were very happy with what we heard from her about her plans for the school. We were told by our Rav that they plan to have a clientele similar to YSV. We did try applying to YSV and they misplaced our application and by the time we realized and followed up with them we were basically settled on BYOP anyway. (We also tried Bas Mikrah and ... I forgot which, BY of M?, and both told us they weren't accepting applications as they were full of siblings.) I really wanted Bas Mikrah, didn't love the idea of YSV simply cuz it's so huge and I preferred a smaller school. So far very happy with BYOP, they're very warm and loving there, Mrs. Rube is very on top of things.
For reference, I would consider us JPF from yeshivish backgrounds, no TV or pets, strong hashkafic values, and the school aligns with that, I'm very happy with whatever I've seen come home from them.

Wow. I'm happy for you.
How is it with Watching for the kids.
How's the parent body? What's the approach on watching?

amother
Fern

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow. I'm happy for you.
How is it with Watching for the kids.
How's the parent body? What's the approach on watching?

I can't tell you what the parent body does across the board, I know for sure some have TVs (or at least have kids who call it "watching TV"). I do know that the school did not give us regulations about what we as parents can or cannot do at home, they asked that we preserve the kedusha of our homes and they did give us a parent handbook that laid out rules about what students can't do, basically saying students can't own or have unlimited access to an internet-enabled device, cannot have social media accounts, and can't be on chats with other students, and that all screen time should be supervised and computers should be in public places.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 7:55 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:

Wow, what an obnoxious thing to say.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:01 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
You sound more bas mikrah type or YSV

It seems like those schools are hard to get into..

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:05 pm
amother Dill wrote:

I was told the same and still gave it a try. Bad Mikrah didn’t even give an application but YSV did and we actually got accepted there to our shock. But since I my daughter was accepted to two schools , I chose the smaller one. Don’t nix it without at least trying .

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:11 pm
amother Dill wrote:

YSV accepts more easily then Bas Mikroh.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics