Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help please-health insurance

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:29 am
I currently only have health insurance through a Medicaid plan. My OB doesn't take it and I am unemployed rn. Is there any way for me to get on a private insurance once I'm expecting, and how?

amother
Burntblack

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:39 am
I'm confused. Did you just lose your job? Because if you did then you can continue your coverage thought COBRA

If not I'm not there are any other options for private insurance. What was your plan when you went to an Ob who doesn't accept medicaid? You may need to switch docs to someone in network with medicaid

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:08 pm
You can ask Advanced advocacy if they do this

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:20 pm
I don't know your exact situation but most likely if you can get it from my private insurance broker between now and January 31st. Maybe becoming pregnant is a qualifying event too? Ask the broker.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:22 pm
amother Blue wrote:
I don't know your exact situation but most likely if you can get it from my private insurance broker between now and January 31st. Maybe becoming pregnant is a qualifying event too? Ask the broker.
thanks! Any recommendations of one?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks! Any recommendations of one?

Achiezer in the 5 towns can probably help

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 5:59 pm
I had this situation when I got pregnant a few months ago and was unemployed/on Medicaid (NJ)

I signed up for separate insurance through the marketplace that my dr accepts, but since im on Medicaid I don’t get any discounts on the premiums. The plans were horrible and im paying around $800 per month for it.. planning on canceling it the second the baby is born

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:04 pm
amother Electricblue wrote:
I had this situation when I got pregnant a few months ago and was unemployed/on Medicaid (NJ)

I signed up for separate insurance through the marketplace that my dr accepts, but since im on Medicaid I don’t get any discounts on the premiums. The plans were horrible and im paying around $800 per month for it.. planning on canceling it the second the baby is born

You didn't have a problem with them not covering pregnancy because you weren't on from before?

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:09 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
You didn't have a problem with them not covering pregnancy because you weren't on from before?

What do you mean?

I was already on Medicaid but my obgyn didn’t accept it, and I didn’t want to switch doctors. Medicaid allows me to have another insurance through the marketplace, I just don’t get any tax breaks (premium discounts)

So I currently have both insurances, Medicaid and marketplace plan

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:10 pm

Since the Obama days it's been illegal for insurances not to cover pre-existing conditions.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Since the Obama days it's been illegal for insurances not to cover pre-existing conditions.

Including pregnancy? This is great news for me
Thank you

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 6:17 pm
Including pregnancy? This is great news for me
Thank you

In NJ you have even higher eligibility chances if you are currently pregnant, as they raise the income limits (for Medicaid)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics