Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Link?? Recipe?? Bus??
Previous  1  2  3

Does this bother you??
No, under 30  
 6%  [ 7 ]
No, over 30  
 19%  [ 20 ]
Yes, under 30  
 31%  [ 32 ]
Yes, over 30  
 42%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 102

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:41 am
bp1234 wrote:
It’s just so abrupt. Every morning I wait for the “bus?” text. For all those saying no time, I rly wonder how many milliseconds seconds more it takes to say “Gm where’s the bus”?

As a person texting with a horrible popped up flip phone keyboard (iykyk) I tell you it takes time. Lots of backspacing and retyping. But yes, I’m makpid to write it out. And I don’t use x for not, no or nisht and other text speak that makes me go bananas when I read them…
(So a simple text can take a looong time to write lol! And that’s why I text very infrequently).

amother
Red

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:46 am

Last edited by amother on Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:47 am
seeker wrote:
I like what you did there!

Alas none of my messaging apps, as far as I can tell, have a feature that lets you filter or search for messages that I sent. This isn't the first time I've wanted that, btw. So I quickly realized that it's a lost cause.

I think the answer is probably that it depends on the audience and context. If it's between friends of mine, we definitely zip out replies like "link?" We have enough interactions and background with each other that we're really not going to be bothered with this stuff. When we want to shmooze, we'll shmooze. When we want details about the supper picture someone shared, we'll "recipe?"
I think I've done this on imamother too.
Whereas if it's on a whole community chat, that includes a bunch of my mother's friends, I may be more likely to use a sentence. I'm not sure if it's come up, to be honest. I'm usually more likely on the giving end than the asking end. If I'm getting something (like a link or recipe) it's usually because someone volunteered it. I don't think it's happened so it's hard to say theoretically if I would say "recipe? Or "recipe please?" or "can you please share the recipe?" Certainly now that I've seen this thread I would probably go with the latter on public chats.

Yes, there is some laziness in one word requests. But there's also laziness in not ironing my sheets. There was an era that would have been scandalous, and these days we just value other things. So I think in this era of sms communication we as a society don't value extra words as much. Somehow we value looking better in frequent pictures, though. So the world turns.

Love this!
Very true and well said

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 12:17 pm
Curious, do y'all write "hey that was funny!" Or "lol"?

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 5:32 pm
seeker wrote:
Curious, do y'all write "hey that was funny!" Or "lol"?

lol is different- it’s not asking anything of anyone. Although, lol is totally overused and doesnt really mean it was that funny. If something is hilarious, I would give it more of a response than just lol.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette