Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Landlord or Tenant - toilet clogged

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:30 am
NYC, rent regulated building.

Who pays when there is a clogged toilet, because of a tenant's child's toy?

What was your experience?

Thanks in advance.

JenniferK

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:31 am
Tenant

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:31 am
Tenant

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:36 am
First time building paid but we got a "warning" that if it happened again we would have to pay for it.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:41 am
If tenant caused it like a toy it’s on tenant. If it’s because faulty pipes, or a clog deep in the pipes on the way out… it’s on the landlord.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:49 am
Ok thanks all.

I figured so. IRL others told me that their Management called the plumber, which usually means handled the bill. The super told me its on me, which makes sense.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:55 am
I call the plumber and pay but expect my tenant to reimburse if it's a toy.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok thanks all.

I figured so. IRL others told me that their Management called the plumber, which usually means handled the bill. The super told me its on me, which makes sense.

Most managements have their set plumber they use for their buildings. They most likely ask the tenants to reimburse the cost.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:21 am
My friend in Brooklyn had that too. Just not with a toy, but with bathroom use- I don’t want to gross anyone out and two tissues. The plumber snaked it and it only took him two minutes to snake it. Now what happens.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:10 am
Tenant pays if it’s their fault which in your case it is. My landlord insisted that we needed to pay when the (very old) toilet stopped working properly. That was incorrect and they backed down.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:11 am
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
My friend in Brooklyn had that too. Just not with a toy, but with bathroom use- I don’t want to gross anyone out and two tissues. The plumber snaked it and it only took him two minutes to snake it. Now what happens.
If it’s a toy they often can’t snake it and need to take the whole toilet out, remove the toy and then reinstall.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:13 am
amother Peach wrote:
If it’s a toy they often can’t snake it and need to take the whole toilet out, remove the toy and then reinstall.

That was us. It was a fortune but I'm happy to have my toilet back. These last few days were not fun.

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:14 am
My friends kid used the bathroom like sny human and his bowel got stuck. I’m sorry to gross you all out, and my friend is a nervous wreck. I don’t know what to tell her. We own a house, and I don’t know what to tell her.

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:00 pm
our neighbor's 6 year old flushed a ROLL of toiletpaper down our toilet. Our landlord at the time was a great handy man so he did the work himself (removing the toilet, etc) and split the cost with us AND had my husband help him. We apologized profusely. Splitting the cost was incredibly generous--- it SHOULD have been on us, but our previous landlord is a mensch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics