Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
S/O bracelet-Did you love your jewelry?
Previous  1  2  3

essie14

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:48 pm
I picked out my ring. DH and I went together and he wanted me to love it.
Didn't get any other engagement jewelry.
After we got married, he told me he's never going to pick out jewelry for me because he knows his taste will probably not match mine, so when he wants to buy me a gift we always go together.

My in laws bought me diamond solitaire earrings as a gift during our first year of marriage and I love them but they're pretty classic.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:32 am
I chose all my jewelry. So, I guess yeah. And this was 31 years ago.

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 7:59 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t think you automatically love the jewelry just because you love the guy. I also think that if you do love the jewelry it may make a person be more excited to wear it, show it to her friends, and be engaged. But I hope that if you don’t like the jewelry, that it would detract from your feelings for the person.

I didn’t love the aesthetics of my ring. Now I do and it took an eternity band to make it feel balanced on my hand. I loved my chassan and couldn’t wait to get married. The ring was everything I asked for and more (the everything and more was the “problem”, he incorporated everything I liked in different jewelry pieces into a single ring. It was super well meant, huge effort and attempt to listen, and a lot). We are married over 10 years (hence the 10 year anniversary eternity band -I could have asked for one sooner, but I wanted it to be a 10 year band, not another bauble). I could not be happier with him and I think you don’t always need to say everything you think. The ring was as much for him to be proud of as it was for me to wear. More than once over the years, has he said that styles change and if I want to reset my ring, I absolutely can. Honestly, I hope to wear it in this setting until 120.

I think your view is skewed.
There is a massive difference if you chose your jewelry and it didn't come out to your expectations vs if you weren't given a choice.

My in laws went all out with expensive gifts but didn't allow their DILs to choose. MiL felt she has a knack for knowing what suits people and allowing to choose would mean for too much back and forth.
No none of her DILs like their jewelry.

I think it's silly to spend $$$$ on massive diamonds and expect the recipient to wear or on their face when it doesn't suit them.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:23 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
I made one specific request during the engagement not to receive pearls imagine my surprise when in the yichud room that's exactly what I got!! Sometime after sheva brochos I finally got the courage to question why I got pearls... So apparently they were gifted to him for his kallah and he felt bad to say no. So yeah, never wear them. Oh well
Rest of jewelry was a mix, some I liked some OK. Now we choose together Smile

Omg I thought I wrote this post! I got a pearl diamond necklace because his relative is in the business didn’t give him a choice. Even though u told him please doing water your money in pearls….

Well at my Sheva Brachos my MIL gifted me with a classic Diamond necklace I love and still wear.

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:27 pm
Got a choice of bracelets, did not chose my earrings but they are classic, got a choice of setting and a beautiful 2 carat diamond, chose my candlesticks, dh chose my watch and I loved it until it was stolen Sad

They spoiled me, and I’m not ashamed to say I loved it.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics