Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Any drs on here that can help me diagnose

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:09 am
went to urgent care last night
and to dr today and have another different dr appt tom for another opinion cuz I forgot to mention something
3 yr old was fine all Friday and then Shabbas woke up totally not himself, saying his head hurt and wanting to sleep the whole day, he didn't feel like he had a fever
threw up also once in the morning
After Shabbas took him to urgent care he had high fever, so they took his blood and his WBC was 20,000 when the range is 4.400-12000
so they did x ray of lungs and dr said he is getting pneumonia
1. he has no symptoms of pneumonia no coughing or trouble breathing at all
2 forgot to mention to them that 2 weeks prior he got vaccines

today dr took a throat culture and he thinks it could be strep- but I really doubt that since he hasn't complained about his throat once
also today he is totally fine completely back to himself no complaing his hed hurts and is not even on Motrin

any advice I'm nervous about the WBC, should I start him on antibiotics like the dr said I should..

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:13 am
Did you go to your pediatrician? I don't love trusting random urgent cares. Refuah sheleima. Also don't see why it hurts to start antibiotics

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:15 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
Did you go to your pediatrician? I don't love trusting random urgent cares. Refuah sheleima. Also don't see why it hurts to start antibiotics

yes I went today, he said it might be strep, and that the x-ray could just be showing a virus in his lungs not bacteria
idk I don't want to start him on antibiotics cuz he's feeling perfectly fine today- he didn't even need motrin!

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:16 am
Follow up with a visit to your pediatrician and re check his blood work

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:16 am
Did they do flu test and covid test? It's rampant right now!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:17 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:
Did they do flu test and covid test? It's rampant right now!

no flu or covid test
but symptoms are gone today!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:19 am
Ig he has such high white blood cells, then he has an infection. If chest x ray shows pneumonia then yes, of course give him the antibiotics, you don't want to play around with that. Keep him home.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:26 am
dankbar wrote:
Ig he has such high white blood cells, then he has an infection. If chest x ray shows pneumonia then yes, of course give him the antibiotics, you don't want to play around with that. Keep him home.

k I hear but why cant high wbc be from the vaccine 2 weeks ago and then he has 12 hours of symptoms from vaccine

dr said the broncopnemonia could be viral and not bacterial..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:27 am
if he had bronopnemonia wouldnt he still have been sick today and needed meds and act sleepy and sick
why today was he completely fine

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:28 am
I would retake blood work and listen to my pediatrician.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 9:33 am
There is such a thing as walking pneumonia with no symptoms

tweety1

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 10:54 am
dankbar wrote:
There is such a thing as walking pneumonia with no symptoms

This. That being said with a WBC count of 20k I wouldn't even ask this question. I would find the closest pharmacy and start meds asap.

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:02 am
a cbc within a day or two of fever starting isn’t accurate bec the wbc rises giving a false indicator that there is an infection. Retake it in a day, an elevated wbc is normal just from the onset of a fever

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:08 am
amother Hyssop wrote:
a cbc within a day or two of fever starting isn’t accurate bec the wbc rises giving a false indicator that there is an infection. Retake it in a day, an elevated wbc is normal just from the onset of a fever

Is this from a medical source?

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
if he had bronopnemonia wouldnt he still have been sick today and needed meds and act sleepy and sick
why today was he completely fine

My dd developed walking pneumonia, only diagnosed after her fever and flu-ish symptoms went away. She seemed so much better, but you don't want to wait for it to get worse (she had very bad pneumonia as a toddler, she basically just cried on my lap for 5 days and couldn't eat and needed oral steroids). So I would give the antibiotic, pneumonia isn't something we play around with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics