Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Baltimore schools- Bnos vs BY?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:35 pm
I send to BY.
There is no wrong choice, both schools are good. Personally I like BY and find it to be amazing. There are so many levels of classes and the school really works with you. The girls come out with top notch education in kodesh and chol. Bais Yaakov sweeps the stem competitions every single time-starting in middle school and they compete against all types of schools. Their other extracurricular groups also do amazingly well against all types of schools-debate, basketball, etc. BY just had production and they gave each girl a part that was perfectly suited to her. The administration cares about every girl, they are so accessible and really care about each girl and make things work. If your daughter needs tutoring, they have tutoring. If she needs or wants AP they have it too. The teachers are so warm and caring. OP, the best thing is to come and check out both schools. Bnos doesn’t typically have open spots since they cap the grades at 50. BY has bigger grades but smaller classes. One of my girls said how she has a huge class-22 girls. And in BY each teacher and administrator and everyone knows each girl. If I go pick someone up in the middle of the day and didn’t call first, I have so many people come over to me to tell me something amazing and special that my daughter did that day or something about my daughter to make me smile.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 11:46 pm
For Bnos, you really need to register your daughter for 4 year old nursery. There are usually spots if you apply early enough. Waiting till a later grade may result in not getting a spot.

My daughter who is in HS had plenty of girls join her grade over the years; a few transfers from BY, Cheder Chabad, and new families to town.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 2:14 am
I feel like there was more a difference in academics and clientele when Bnos began than now. There's still differences in style and feel and perhaps Bnos is a touch more right, but only a touch, and the academic level at Bnos has become stronger. The schools are now much closer in these respects. I wouldn't say one is simply better than another, one might be preferable for a particular girl.

The big question for Bnos is really that so many spots are taken by siblings and if you don't apply for nursery, getting in in a later grade is difficult. If you do have a choice, then visit both, you may get a real feel for which is a better fit.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 7:29 am
amother Rose wrote:
I feel like there was more a difference in academics and clientele when Bnos began than now. There's still differences in style and feel and perhaps Bnos is a touch more right, but only a touch, and the academic level at Bnos has become stronger. The schools are now much closer in these respects. I wouldn't say one is simply better than another, one might be preferable for a particular girl.

The big question for Bnos is really that so many spots are taken by siblings and if you don't apply for nursery, getting in in a later grade is difficult. If you do have a choice, then visit both, you may get a real feel for which is a better fit.

Sometimes there aren’t any open spots in nursery either. All taken by staff or siblings. I think academically BY is still slightly stronger. Baltimore will also make sure every girl has a spot in the proper school for her.
And if you don’t like uniforms, Bnos requires them in nursery. I know this was a turnoff for some parents.

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 8:33 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Sometimes there aren’t any open spots in nursery either. All taken by staff or siblings. I think academically BY is still slightly stronger. Baltimore will also make sure every girl has a spot in the proper school for her.
And if you don’t like uniforms, Bnos requires them in nursery. I know this was a turnoff for some parents.

I send my daughter to Bnos Yisroel. We are so happy there. It is such a caring school, each child is treated like an only child.This is my first girl, so at first I was disappointed about her needing to wear uniform in nursery. But honestly, once the year started, I loved it! So convenient in the morning lol, no fights about getting dressed Smile

There are at least 12 girls in my daughter's grade of about 38 girls, who are not staff kids or siblings of current students. So I don't think that statement is accurate at all, I don't think it ever happens that there are no open spots for non-staff and non-siblings, so yes, it is worthwhile to apply!

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:12 am
amother Ginger wrote:
So interesting. I actually found that there were some "more modern" teachers in the younger grades at Bnos. I don't know what "modern" means to you, though.

I'm the leaning modern amother (dim gray) who asked about the hashkafa and externals of the teachers at the 2 schools. Thank you to everyone who responded--it was super helpful. What I meant by "lean modern" was as far as externals, not internals. I am not MO, but I wear maxi skirts, booties, and have a very small nose ring. I only wear a full shietel, no lace. I can adjust clothing for a job (the nose ring is still there, though) but I don't wish to change my wardrobe for outside of school hours. I am very happy where I am holding. I don't teach kodesh and I have tons of experience, certifications, and education, lol. Again--thank you for the help.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:15 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
I'm the leaning modern amother (dim gray) who asked about the hashkafa and externals of the teachers at the 2 schools. Thank you to everyone who responded--it was super helpful. What I meant by "lean modern" was as far as externals, not internals. I am not MO, but I wear maxi skirts, booties, and have a very small nose ring. I only wear a full shietel, no lace. I don't teach kodesh and I have tons of experience, certifications, and education, lol. Anyhow--thank you for the help.

Except for maybe the nose ring, no one in Baltimore cares about any of that stuff one way or another

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:50 am
Quote:

Only junior nursery (3s) fills with only staff/siblings with rare spots open to others, as they only have one small class. However with senior nursery (4s), although staff and siblings get early admissions, there are still spots for new families. No, pull, money, etc won't help. I was told in the past it's a goral, but I don't know if it's true. The catch is you have to send for senior nursery or they don't guarantee a spot in kindergarten, 1st, etc. That said, both my girls have had new kids join after nursery. One daughter has the biggest grade in the school of 47 (2 classes of 23/24). They did not start out that big, but over the years a new girl came one year and another 2 another year-- and I know they turned people away from that grade because of size.

Yes uniforms started in 4s 2 years ago. We missed it in 4s and started in kindergarten. It actually isn't too bad and makes morning dressing easier.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:51 am
Quote:
I'm the leaning modern amother (dim gray) who asked about the hashkafa and externals of the teachers at the 2 schools. Thank you to everyone who responded--it was super helpful. What I meant by "lean modern" was as far as externals, not internals. I am not MO, but I wear maxi skirts, booties, and have a very small nose ring. I only wear a full shietel, no lace. I can adjust clothing for a job (the nose ring is still there, though) but I don't wish to change my wardrobe for outside of school hours. I am very happy where I am holding. I don't teach kodesh and I have tons of experience, certifications, and education, lol. Again--thank you for the help.

The nose ring may be an issue. I have seen a second small stud in an ear, but never a nose ring in any of the staff in Bnos.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 2:34 pm
As A Bais Yaakov graduate, past Bnos teacher, and current Bais Yaakov teacher, I really had a chance to feel out the 2.
Well, I graduated from Bais Yaakov and then taught in Bnos because that's where I was offered a position. After 1 year.... I switched to teach in Bais Yaakov.
Bnos is good if your daughter needs a smaller school with more individualized attention.
Bais Yaakov is good if your daughter is a regular run-of-the-mill girl who doesn't need extra attention.
Bnos is VERY individualized- sometimes too much I dont want to see , very quick to send girls to learning center and tutoring, even when they don't really need it.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, Jan 19 2024, 3:47 pm
Another thing I remember hearing from friends in Bnos was that because the school is so small, the administration can get overinvolved in the girls' politics and things like that. In BY it's basically let the girls be high schoolers and have their politics unless it really gets out of hand. Not a reason to choose one school over the other, but something to consider

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:43 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
As A Bais Yaakov graduate, past Bnos teacher, and current Bais Yaakov teacher, I really had a chance to feel out the 2.
Well, I graduated from Bais Yaakov and then taught in Bnos because that's where I was offered a position. After 1 year.... I switched to teach in Bais Yaakov.
Bnos is good if your daughter needs a smaller school with more individualized attention.
Bais Yaakov is good if your daughter is a regular run-of-the-mill girl who doesn't need extra attention.
Bnos is VERY individualized- sometimes too much I dont want to see , very quick to send girls to learning center and tutoring, even when they don't really need it.

When did you teach in bnos? A lot has changed over the years.

My girls go to bnos, they do not rush to send to the learning center. My daughter had some academic struggles and the school and us came up with a plan to help my daughter. She never went to the learning center. It was my following thru with the teachers help that pulled her back on track.

My girls don't need extra attention nor do most of their class. They love the attention, but could thrive in a bigger school if they needed.

My girls built a kesher with their teachers and get excited to see past year teachers in the hall, in the store, and just around town.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jan 21 2024, 11:55 pm
amother Blue wrote:
When did you teach in bnos? A lot has changed over the years.

My girls go to bnos, they do not rush to send to the learning center. My daughter had some academic struggles and the school and us came up with a plan to help my daughter. She never went to the learning center. It was my following thru with the teachers help that pulled her back on track.

My girls don't need extra attention nor do most of their class. They love the attention, but could thrive in a bigger school if they needed.

My girls built a kesher with their teachers and get excited to see past year teachers in the hall, in the store, and just around town.

My girls go to BY and every teacher that they’ve ever had, they’re excited to see the teachers and the teachers are excited to see them.
And everyone has a kesher with all teachers. I went to BY and when I see my teachers we shmooze. Some of my teachers taught or teach my girls. We all shmooze together.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 12:00 am
I am almost positive that the new rule (for the past few years) in Bnos is that you can only get a spot in the LC past 3rd grade if you actually have a diagnosis.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:12 am
amother Hyacinth wrote:
My girls go to BY and every teacher that they’ve ever had, they’re excited to see the teachers and the teachers are excited to see them.
And everyone has a kesher with all teachers. I went to BY and when I see my teachers we shmooze. Some of my teachers taught or teach my girls. We all shmooze together.

Then things must have changed. When I was in by and in a store and saw a teacher, I'd go to another aisle. And it wasn't just me. Most of us were like that.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:22 am
amother Blue wrote:
Then things must have changed. When I was in by and in a store and saw a teacher, I'd go to another isle. And it wasn't just me. Most of us were like that.

I guess you weren’t in my grade!

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:23 am
amother Eggplant wrote:
I am almost positive that the new rule (for the past few years) in Bnos is that you can only get a spot in the LC past 3rd grade if you actually have a diagnosis.

Are there tutors for girls who don’t have a diagnosis but need help?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 9:40 am
Speaking from experience-if you're an out of the box kind of person, not super conventional, you want Bais Yaakov

baltomom

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 10:18 am
Happy Bais Yaakov parent here, chiming to say that even though the school is large, the class size is small and girls do not get lost in the crowd. Although the administrators may not know every girl well, the teachers do, and if a girl needs special help of whatever kind there are support systems in place to provide it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics