Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The email I'm not sending to my child's school (re tuition)
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Gray wrote:
There’s help for literally everything else. WIC and food stamps for the grocery, section 8/HUD for housing, Medicaid for insurance, a gemach for last season’s shoes and clothes, utility payment plans and winter shutoff arrangements for utilities, payment plans for credit cards, gemachim for new kallahs, food deliveries for yt. Just tuition for chinuch- which is the foundation of our world, there are no accommodations for that.

Honestly, with inflation these days I think everyone is broke. There are so many fundraisers going around constantly. Every school keeps trying to raise money. It’s just never enough. Hashem should help us all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:00 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
First of all, I am sorry for what you are going through. Second, if I was a school administrator, I would be annoyed that there is no apology in the letter. By causing their funds to be reversed, you likely caused them significant inconvenience and banking fees. The right thing to do is let someone know in advance that the check won’t go through, ie I am very sorry, but can you hold for 3 months.

I told them this in advance when they insisted on having the authorization. I offered instead to pay them smaller amounts when I had money (and cover the transaction fees myself) but they wanted specifically this. I reiterated it again when the first one bounced. They continued trying.

amother Navy wrote:
OP while your will to pay full tuition is commendable, I think you should reevaluate your attitute of no difference whether your bill is 25K or 50K. You don't want to still be paying tuition off when you're a grandparent.

(IYH Hashem will bless you with ample parnassah before then. But, you still have to be realistic for the here and now. And that calls for asking a reduction in tuition.)

I actually DO want to be paying off tuition when I'm a grandparent. That's when we will hopefully have less day-to-day expenses and actually be able to afford the chinuch bills we accrued. I will be very very happy to continue paying as long as I can, and plan to continue paying a portion of my income to chinuch even after I finish paying off all we owe.

amother Yarrow wrote:
I can’t fathom why you wouldn’t be asking for a tuition break when you clearly can’t afford to pay in full. And are you looking to switch schools?

I don't want a tuition break. I am happy to pay what they are charging, it is fair. But just as when I buy a car, they understand that I probably can't pay it all at once, I want them to understand that I can't pay tuition all at once.

What does a break help? It's not like the school needs less money if they set my tuition lower. It supposedly helps me, but I don't see how it actually benefits me. I want to pay for the services I am receiving. I just want more time. I finished paying off the tuition from 2 years ago, and I hope to finish paying off last year's sometime soon too - B"H now under $10,000 left from a $60,000 tuition bill.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:12 pm
Point noted about the apology. I probably should have apologized, I am still bearing a grudge from the incident at the beginning of the year and forgot my manners.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Point noted about the apology. I probably should have apologized, I am still bearing a grudge from the incident at the beginning of the year and forgot my manners.

It is interesting that they didn’t send reminders in advance. Our school definitely keeps asking for the tuition owed. I see no point in waiting for last minute from the school’s POV. Interesting incident.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yup, never mind that they just had a successful million dollar fundraising campaign, and they know tens of people who can cut them a check for 10 or 50k. I'm lucky if I can shnorr $18 from a few friends or relatives.
It's only fair to know where all this money goes for these schools.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 5:17 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
It is interesting that they didn’t send reminders in advance. Our school definitely keeps asking for the tuition owed. I see no point in waiting for last minute from the school’s POV. Interesting incident.

Oh, they asked, I explained, I sent what I could. I thought it was worked out, until the day school started. I do understand the POV of the school, when parents have no choice they suddenly cough up the money. I just can't forgive it.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Mon, Jan 22 2024, 6:14 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
This was my point too. I saw entitlement, no apology.
Yes I agreed to be underpaid but not to be paid late. That is 100% dependent on the tuition coming in.
I believe the post about the administrator upthread! They can’t find money out of thin air. I don’t blame them! I will probably not sign contract for next year because working for late pay is not sustainable but I really don’t hold them accountable. I hold the parents who are not paying accountable!
I don’t know what the solution is but the stress should be on the parents at least as much as on the school. I’m not blaming OP but I don’t like the attitude! It’s really entitled and frustrating for us on the other side. At least apologize and try your hardest to fundraise for the service the school is providing YOU.

I don't see where OP has an attitude problem, I didn't see her asking to be discounted or not to have to pay. She's asking for some understanding and a payment plan. With all due respect, I think your throwing all your frustrations on her.

Fyi, an employer has a responsibility to pay their workers regardless if there's money coming in or not. Your issue should be with the school, not with parents scratching together their last 2 dimes to pay these outrageous sums.
If you're a struggling parent too like you say, you should be able to be sympathetic to OP.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:55 am
How much is this month's tuition? PM me if you feel comfortable
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics