Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
How do frum people vacation?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:14 pm
I'm trying to figure out how it's possible.
Needs to be near minyanim, no pritzus (private villa), do you really kasher everything? What about keeping chalav yisrael and kemach yashan in these places? Id love to go but I cant figure out how...

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:19 pm
So many places have kosher food available so you don't have to kasher anything. When dh was a coffee drinker we brought a tiny electric kettle along but that's it. Yoshon is not an issue for us but we're very strict in meat hechsherim and chalav Yisrael. We've done miami and eaten in many restaurants and had a lovely time without the beach. Arizona is another option. Cancun. Los Angeles.
As for pritzus, the women are dressed like the women here dress on the summer. U keep to yourselves and avoid the beaches.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:20 pm
Why does vacation equal those places? We’ve explored so many different areas of the US and had a great time.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:22 pm
A) Near or in places that have all these things. Driving distance to a minyan and don't stay for Shabbos, or walking and do.

OR
B) Bring everything. A big cooler is your friend if you are driving.

We rent a house with a self cleaning oven. It's nice if it's a gas stove so we can kasher the grates and use the stove top. If not, we have a portable burner we bring, but these days a couple Betty Crockers can be easier, especially since it cuts down on pots. We don't put anything down in the sinks and use towels as trivets. We hold by kashering microwaves so we do that once we've been in for 24 hours.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
Needs to be near minyanim, no pritzus (private villa), do you really kasher everything? What about keeping chalav yisrael and kemach yashan in these places? Id love to go but I cant figure out how...

Near a minyan is, bh not crazy hard to do these days. If you don’t want prizes, stay in your house. Otherwise, just stay focused on what you need to focus on. We kasher the oven and the microwave, when we are in a house. Our Rav holds you don’t need to specifically kasher the stove because turning on the burner will get it hot enough to self kasher. We are not majors on cy or yashan, so that’s not an issue for us. If we are driving, we will take most of our food with us. If we are flying, we will take meat and chicken, and buy the rest at our destination.

amother
Outerspace

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:35 pm
We don't go to hotels, we look for more secluded Airbnb type of places. Take along our own meat, cheese, bread. We make food on our sandwich press like French fries, parev hot dogs, tuna cheese melts.
Disposable barbecues are good also.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:35 pm
Half of Lakewood is in Miami or Orlando now. There are kosher restaurants and kosher groceries. You don’t need to kasher. You buy bread yogurts cereal milk and go out for pizza bagels fleishig. You find empty spot on beach and a private pool. We walked on Miami boardwalk and mostly all chassidim and frum families in cover ups.
Plenty of minyamin and shuls

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:

We rent a house. We used to kasher, but now I bring or buy electric griddles/ crockpot / betty/ kum kum. Cover the counters with a tablecloth and good to go.We grill every day on a grill (or two) that we bring. We do not eat out even of available due to large family, cost, and we want to be out and about and not inna restaurant.

We freeze meat and milk and bring, or buy at destination. Ive only done this with a crowd and for a long period if time in the summer so yoshon was not an issue!
For a couple of days if I didnt think I could obtain I would being bread or live without.

I think pas yisrael would be harder, but we are not makpid on that when traveling.

If we are flying we will order new cooking things to a Walmart, but then need to toivel.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:47 pm
We go to random Airbnbs and take along yogurt, baked goodies, tuna, cold cuts, rolls,pickles, olives, frozen schnitzel, noodle soup and a few other things and we're good. I think it depends how big your kids are. Ours are little so they don't eat much.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 9:58 pm
Wanted to add to my post above that we have bought portable grills at location also! (Need to toivel though). One time we bought a picnic table too!

While these utensils have a cost it is usually less than my family eating out once! Its part of the vacation cost.

Some airbnbs will let you send packages in advance, but many won't. Thats why I pickup.

honey bunny

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:01 pm
What about swimming in a private pool? How do you know which air bnbs are close to shuls?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:04 pm
We live OOT midwest. lets say we go to another drum midwest community for two days. we stay in a hotel a ten min drive from shuls and kosher stores. It's vacation, so we'll eat out there. Well also bring or buy snacks and food for meals in our hotel room, like sandwiches cereal and milk. (Lots if times the hotel has kosher cereal and we bring CY milk) just need a fridge in the hotel room. Bring noodle soup and hot water kum kum. That's another meal. Not hard at all.
We don't go to exotic places Very Happy

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Jan 25 2024, 10:05 pm
honey bunny wrote:
What about swimming in a private pool? How do you know which air bnbs are close to shuls?

Google maps for routes.
Google addresses of shuls and stores and hotels.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics