Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
NJ maternity and FMLA leave question

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 2:48 pm
I am just switching over to work on a W2 ( from self employment)
My question is : it seems like you have to have worked for your employer for 12 months to receive FMLA benefits . Does this also apply for Maternity benefits ( short term disability)?
I see something about having to work for 20 weeks for that. Does anyone know if I can still get them just at 20 weeks and not a full year?

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:20 pm
Hi,
I had been at my current job for about seven months when I gave birth. I’m a teacher and am paid twelve months even though I only work ten. Prior to that, I had worked at a different school for a year. I got full benefits from both maternity and family leave. Hope that helps.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:22 pm
How much does NJ pay for maternity and family leave? Does it take a while for the money to arrive?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:23 pm
Quote from NJ’s website -

To qualify for Family Leave Insurance in 2023, you must have worked 20 weeks earning at least $260 weekly, or have earned a combined total of $13,000 in those four quarters (the base year).

To qualify for Family Leave Insurance in 2024, you must have worked 20 weeks earning at least $283 weekly, or have earned a combined total of $14,200 in those four quarters (the base year).

So it sounds like you just need 20 weeks, not a year. Source: https://www.nj.gov/labor/mylea...../fli/

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:24 pm
amother Holly wrote:
How much does NJ pay for maternity and family leave? Does it take a while for the money to arrive?

NJ maternity leave is amazing. Best part of living in the state for me.

Claimants are paid 85% of their average weekly wage, up to the maximum weekly benefit rate set for that calendar year.
In 2023, the maximum weekly benefit rate is $1,025 per week.
In 2024, the maximum weekly benefit rate is $1,055 per week.

It took a few weeks for the money to come in for me but it varies based on how busy they are I believe.

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:24 pm
You can get disability and family leave but not FMLA if you've been working at your W-2 job for more than 20 weeks but less than a year.

Yes it takes a while for the money to arrive and it to get processed

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:26 pm
How do they determine weekly pay if I receive a yearly salary?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:29 pm
amother Holly wrote:
How do they determine weekly pay if I receive a yearly salary?

I assume you’re paid weekly or biweekly, not just a lump sum at the beginning of the year.

The link I posted earlier on the thread has all the information you’re looking for.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:37 pm
FMLA is just job protection. In my experience most NJ employers are desperate for you to return. I work in the medical field and was only there for 11 months and not yet at the minimum hours worked to make it but they unofficially honored it because they wanted me back after 6-8 weeks.
FLI is the umbrella term for the short term disability you take before and after the birth including continuous and non continuous.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 4:53 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
You can get disability and family leave but not FMLA if you've been working at your W-2 job for more than 20 weeks but less than a year.

Yes it takes a while for the money to arrive and it to get processed

What's the difference between family leave and FMLA?
I thought disability was for 6 weeks and FMLA for 12 weeks ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics