Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Protein in urine

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:08 pm
Took urine culture due to multiple accidents, results showed elevated level of protein. Funny thing is that Drs office said to make sure dc drinks more, but child keeps asking for drinks. This is a bit of a red flag for me, am I right to be concerned? The child asks for drinks but mostly doesn’t want water, rather sweeter drinks that I’m trying to limit. I think we had already checked blood sugar levels before, should we check again?

amother
Narcissus

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 4:13 pm
If it's not diabetes mellitus, I would want to be worked up for diabetes insipidus, recently renamed vassopressin deficiency or vassopression resistance. It's when the kidneys fail to concentrate urine either due to not enough of the hormone vassopressin, or because the kidneys don't respond well to vassopressin. Extreme thirst and excess urine are the main symptoms. Urine is usually dilute, and it's very common for people with it to crave sweet, cold drinks.

tweety1

Post Wed, Feb 14 2024, 7:28 pm
If she drinks sugary drinks she's not quenching her thirst thereby asking for more to drink. Only water really quenches thirst. It's a continuous cycle that won't end unless she's drinks water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics