Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Urgent…is ct scan with contrast ok
Previous  1  2

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:29 am
They generally don’t reccomend ct scan for kids

It seems they don’t have another option

I’d personally go travel to the next hospital with mri

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:38 am
amother Honey wrote:

Really terrible response, sorry. The symptoms indicate the chrohns/colitis route in which case a CT is needed. Her child is acutely ill.

amother
Hosta

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:55 am
Healthcare provider here- mom, you did the right thing. The posters saying mri or no contrast don’t know what they are talking about. Ct scans better evaluate the GI tract for causes of the symptoms you are describing better than an MRI and the contrast better evaluates and gives a much better picture as well.

You are a mom doing your best to help your child.
Refuah shelaima.

Orangehead

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:55 am
She needs a GI work up. Did you go to your pcp for this issue? She needs stools cultures, stool cal protection, esr,crp, celiac panel, cbc

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 4:57 am
Refuah Shelaimah
Please keep us posted OP

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:10 am
amother Honey wrote:

And you know this how? Please! They do ct scans for pediatrics all the time. Right now she needs to deal with an acute issue. If you know anything, MRIs and CT scans read different things.

Op, you're doing the right thing. Let's hope they find something mild and treatable.

dena613

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:23 am
For crohns colitis usually they do lots of stool tests to rule out lots of things.
There is a marker for high inflammation (indicating crohns) too.

When they ruled everything else out, they usually do colonoscopy to confirm, but could do MRI/CT to check other details

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:26 am
rubyred wrote:
Is the contrast by mouth, IV, or both? All are okay and necessary for accurate diagnosis. If getting IV contrast make sure the child is given IV fluids after to flush the contrast out of the system.

This!!

No matter what they tell you, the child needs either iv fluids or A TON to drink after.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:28 am
amother Aster wrote:
And you know this how? Please! They do ct scans for pediatrics all the time. Right now she needs to deal with an acute issue. If you know anything, MRIs and CT scans read different things.

Op, you're doing the right thing. Let's hope they find something mild and treatable.

I guess because I was a young adult who had many many mri because they didn’t want to ct scan. Also my children in hospital they said they don’t rush to ct scan to kids. As well as my mom was a nurse for 40 years who said the same.

But maybe in this case it’s needed! I’m sure it’s done.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:39 am
dena613 wrote:
For crohns colitis usually they do lots of stool tests to rule out lots of things.
There is a marker for high inflammation (indicating crohns) too.

When they ruled everything else out, they usually do colonoscopy to confirm, but could do MRI/CT to check other details

Stool tests is part of the process earlier on but in this acute situation but CT is definitely indicated and colonoscopy as well if that's the route it takes.. been there done that.. DH has Crohn's.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:41 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I would skip the contrast. They can see whatever they need to without.

That is incorrect information and potentially dangerous in this situation. Please don’t give any medical advice in the future.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:46 am
Hi
Thankyou everyone for responding
My child had ct scan with contrast and they see inflammation. Nothing else is confirmed yet

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:53 am
It is good they did it, contrast and all! And the radiation isn't so much, don't worry.

I had similar things as a kid, put me through tons of tests to find out what's wrong (and yes, I really had hemorrhoids too). Just as encouragement, they did eventually get to the bottom of it, put me on lots of medication and b"H after many years the problems mostly went away.

Wishing your child a speedy diagnosis and a refuah shleimah!

amother
Trillium

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 5:57 am
Davening for your child!

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:18 am
I would skip the contrast. They can see whatever they need to without.

What professional advice!! So informative!!
Should've consulted with you before my husband had his CS done with contrast. Perhaps they might've noticed his tumor more significantly without the contrast. Banging head:banging head

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:17 am
Very health conscious mama here. I would do the CT with contrast. Get to the bottom of the symptoms.
Detox later. Right now you need answers!

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:52 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi
Thankyou everyone for responding
My child had ct scan with contrast and they see inflammation. Nothing else is confirmed yet

Refuah Shelayma, MeHayra

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 9:04 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
What professional advice!! So informative!!
Should've consulted with you before my husband had his CS done with contrast. Perhaps they might've noticed his tumor more significantly without the contrast. Banging head:banging head
Contrast comes with its own set of risks. Abdominal CT scans are very accurate even without contrast.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 9:10 am
Contrast comes with its own set of risks. Abdominal CT scans are very accurate even without contrast.

Brushing your teeth comes with its own set of risks....Since OP already had the test done, your point is moot.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics