Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I need help keeping my emotions in check!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:16 pm
One of my children have an issue that needs to be addressed. Its not medical. Just a minor social thing that needs to be taken care of. I need to speak to teacher, principal, therapist etc.

This is all a first for me.
In general, I'm a pretty emotional person. I cry for every little thing. like when I'm very nervous. so now that I'm starting to deal with this and initiating phone calls, following up.. my voice cracks and sometimes I start crying or need to work super hard to control myself not to.

I don't know what to do. I'm not a baby! I'm in my 30's. I need to get a grip. Its not like this is a major issue BH. I don't know why I can't handle this and why I even cry. its almost a dumb thing that I'm taking care of.

any tips please?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:22 pm
Try deep breathing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:23 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Try deep breathing.

How do you do that while you are on the phone and start crying mid conversation?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 10:57 pm
This isn’t good advice, but when I feel like I might cry in such situations, instead I start to get snappy or disconnect.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
One of my children have an issue that needs to be addressed. Its not medical. Just a minor social thing that needs to be taken care of. I need to speak to teacher, principal, therapist etc.

This is all a first for me.
In general, I'm a pretty emotional person. I cry for every little thing. like when I'm very nervous. so now that I'm starting to deal with this and initiating phone calls, following up.. my voice cracks and sometimes I start crying or need to work super hard to control myself not to.

I don't know what to do. I'm not a baby! I'm in my 30's. I need to get a grip. Its not like this is a major issue BH. I don't know why I can't handle this and why I even cry. its almost a dumb thing that I'm taking care of.

any tips please?

Practice makes perfect. Its ok to be emotional. Let it out, really. It might be triggering something in you that makes you emotional.
You may be connecting the situation to something you went through.
So before making that phone call, practice what you want to say outloud.
Write yourself a script or notes so you stay grounded.
Keep a cup of water nearby and take a sip when you feel overwhelmed.
And deep breath.
If you get emotional and your voice cracks, its ok to acknowledge it and say, excuse me, I get emotional when talking about this. Its an important issue for me.
If its too much, its ok to say, may I call you back?
Gam Zeh Yaavor.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 11:19 pm
You don't have to deep breathe for an hour. You're allowed to pause in the middle of your convo and take a deep breath or two if you feel yourself starting to crack. The trick is to breathe well BEFORE you get to the point of no return, as soon as you start feeling mildly distressed. Then pause for a deep breath or two as often as necessary.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 7:29 am
What is making you so emotional? Fear of authority? Sadness that your child has this? Think it through before the phone call.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics