Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
ADHD and Exercise

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:26 am
I have 20-30 pounds to lose and I need to do exercise.
But I have ADHD which makes it impossible to get into the routine of doing exercise.
I hate it and I'm pushing it off....for 6 years.
Any ideas?

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:27 am
Get a gym membership so money is on the line. It's usually a good incentive.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:28 am
amother Burntblack wrote:
Get a gym membership so money is on the line. It's usually a good incentive.

Knowing myself I'll push off signing up for the gym. Because, which gym? And when am I going?
I'm hopeless Can't Believe It

simchavsasson

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:28 am
Dance based exercise is the best way to get you through the door. It's fun.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:29 am
simchavsasson wrote:
Dance based exercise is the best way to get you through the door. It's fun.

I'm a couch 🥔 through and through.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:30 am
Exercise partner?

Doubling up is a general ADHD tool. It can be especially helpful with exercise.

mha3484

I got an apple watch and it tracks your steps. Just by doing my regular life I average around 7-8,000 which is like 3-4 miles of walking. I found myself really making it a mental competition of can I beat yesterday. Its really really motivating.

ETA I have the H in ADHD so my brain may work very differently.

Last edited by mha3484 on Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sapphire

Accountability is what works for me.

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:32 am
Do you have a friend who you could ask to go walking with for 30 mins a day? It's a good start.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:36 am
mha3484 wrote:
I got an apple watch and it tracks your steps. Just by doing my regular life I average around 7-8,000 which is like 3-4 miles of walking. I found myself really making it a mental competition of can I beat yesterday. Its really really motivating.

ETA I have the H in ADHD so my brain may work very differently.

I'm sadly lacking the H.
My favorite activity is reclining on the couch with Imamother for company.
I can't bring myself to do exercise!!

mha3484

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:38 am
When I started getting into this, I realized every time I walk from one room to another, to take my kid to a chavrusa a few blocks away, to go up and down the stairs to do laundry, I walk home from work many days. All this was adding up to a lot of of steps and a decent amount of calories burned. In my head it was just stuff I needed to do I didn't call it exercise.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:46 am
mha3484 wrote:
When I started getting into this, I realized every time I walk from one room to another, to take my kid to a chavrusa a few blocks away, to go up and down the stairs to do laundry, I walk home from work many days. All this was adding up to a lot of of steps and a decent amount of calories burned. In my head it was just stuff I needed to do I didn't call it exercise.

So I happen to walk a lot.
But for health and weight reasons I need to do actual exercise. And I'm saying this for years and still not doing it.

simchavsasson

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm a couch 🥔 through and through.

I get it. I have ADHD too. Zumba and dance stuff is the only thing that I like enough to get up. I often schedule long walks with friends or get someone else to pressure me to get up.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:14 am
I like to habit stack.

So something like - get clothes for shower - turn on music - use treadmill for 10 minutes - brush teeth - shower.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:20 am
I have to do it right away after something else or it doesn't happen. Also something short and consistent. If I need to wear special clothes or it's going to be a 45 min event my brain says forget it.
So it's right away when I get up, or right when I walk in from getting the kids to school. Has to be before I get started on something else (or open my phone/sit down).

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:30 pm
OP,
I could have written this post word for word. I could do with an accountability partner if you're interested...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 5:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm sadly lacking the H.
My favorite activity is reclining on the couch with Imamother for company.
I can't bring myself to do exercise!!

Same as you… everything you wrote … and I did sign up for a gym.. didn’t help… waiting to hear some good advice…

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:05 pm
Same here. BTW, money on the line was not enough for me. The money went down the toilet and I ended up canceling the membership (which was an adhd nightmare because canceling gym memberships is notoriously onerous). I hate any and all exercise. Hate dance/zumba. Hate yoga. Hate running, weights, swimming, you name it, there's not a single exercise I like except walking. So I do have a walking partner and I'm able to get out maybe twice a week. It's better than nothing, but I definitely need to do more and don't know what else to do.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 7:08 pm
I love swimming and boating, but neither are very practical where I live. (Haven't been able to go swimming for many years already, I don't even own a bathing suit anymore.)

I have a rowing machine which I sometimes use, I guess that's better than nothing.

If only I had the "H" I might be much better off...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise