Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
S/O Sephardi foods

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 5:04 pm
So many of you said that the Sephardi food is your favorite part of being Sephardi. I love Sephardi foods just don’t make it often.
Can you drop your favorite foods and recipes in here?

Can’t wait to try them all!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 7:05 pm
We love Mezze. Any recipes?

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:50 pm
What kind of Sephardi are you OP?

I grew up Ashkenaz and married a Moroccan guy. The food is so fun! I've learned a lot.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

I grew up Ashkenaz and married a Moroccan guy. The food is so fun! I've learned a lot.

I am very much ashkenaz, just realized I didn’t mention it in my OP
I used to eat Sephardi foods all time in seminary, and I wish I can create that in my home just don’t know where to start

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am very much ashkenaz, just realized I didn’t mention it in my OP
I used to eat Sephardi foods all time in seminary, and I wish I can create that in my home just don’t know where to start

When I get a few minutes, I hope to come back here with some recipes to share Smile

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:32 pm
amother Anemone wrote:

Important question!!

My friend was seriously dating a sephardi guy, Persian. She went and bought a bunch of "sephardic" food from a local grocery store to impress him. It was all Syrian or Lebanese or whatever and he literally hadn't in his life heard of any of it. She thought he was pulling her leg when he was baffled and when he didn't like the super hot spicy stuff.

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:43 pm
I love Lebanese kofta and mujaddara, Syrian lachmajin, arayes and kibbeh, Yemenite hawaij soup, Moroccan fish, Turkish shwarma, Persian dolmeh grape leaves, salad, laffa, and many more.

amother
Lightblue

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:54 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Important question!!

My friend was seriously dating a sephardi guy, Persian. She went and bought a bunch of "sephardic" food from a local grocery store to impress him. It was all Syrian or Lebanese or whatever and he literally hadn't in his life heard of any of it. She thought he was pulling her leg when he was baffled and when he didn't like the super hot spicy stuff.

Sorry, but most Syrian/Lebanese, don't use "hot spicy stuff" Our food is spiced just not burning mouth spices. Most common spices are Allspice, Cumin, & Cinnamon or hard to find Aleppo Pepper" My family doesn't use the Red pepper flakes. I associate hot and spicy with Mexican or Indian food.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:24 am
Some of our favorites are
Morocan salmon
Bukharian ploff
Syrian mazza

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 12:55 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
Sorry, but most Syrian/Lebanese, don't use "hot spicy stuff" Our food is spiced just not burning mouth spices. Most common spices are Allspice, Cumin, & Cinnamon or hard to find Aleppo Pepper" My family doesn't use the Red pepper flakes. I associate hot and spicy with Mexican or Indian food.

I literally have no idea and I seem to have offended you. I'm as Ashkenaz as they come lol and was just sharing what a friend told me. Maybe she picked up spicy versions, or maybe just for his palette they were too spiced but not spicy. Idk but it's certainly not personal.

Sidenote...She did actually end up married to the boy ... Maybe they bonded over a shared dislike of the foods she bought that they tried?

My point just was that different types of sephardi apparently have different foods, and there's might not be much crossover.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:01 am
Persian food actually features tons of veggies- dill, parsley- lots of dried lemon
It's unbelievably delicious stews with meatballs or meat cubes served over rice with crispy potatoes on the bottom.

amother
Eggshell

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 1:07 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
Persian food actually features tons of veggies- dill, parsley- lots of dried lemon
It's unbelievably delicious stews with meatballs or meat cubes served over rice with crispy potatoes on the bottom.

Please post recipes for the meatball stew, and the meat cube stew served over rice with crispy potatoes on bottom!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 2:36 am
Impossible to lump sefardi foods together. Persian and Moroccan cuisine for example are very different.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:39 am
amother Lightblue wrote:

I think they call it spicy instead of well seasoned ( the vinegar they use in some dishes is burning.... stuffed vegetables with tomato sauce full of vinegar...)

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:52 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
I think they call it spicy instead of well seasoned ( the vinegar they use in some dishes is burning.... stuffed vegetables with tomato sauce full of vinegar...)

Vinegar? I've never seen vinegar in sefardi food. Thought it's ashkenazi cuisine.

hodeez

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 8:58 am
Bukharian cuisine is rice and meat heavy. Worth the clogged arteries
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics