Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I need to give a resume first

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:04 pm
I applied to a few jobs. They were very vague with job description and hours.
I messaged them asking about the job description and hours and they came back and asked for a resume. I would prefer not giving them one if the job us totally not what I am looking for or hours aren't what I am looking for.
Could I just tell them I prefer not giving them one until I hear about the job?

Einikel

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:09 pm
Why would you not want to give it? Do you not have one yet?

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:12 pm
I usually send my resume automatically with every job I apply for, because if I’m not a fit for them it’ll save everyone time. Once you are reaching out, I feel it’s counterproductive to not include your resume

They don’t want to waste time describing the job to someone who they may not consider anyways. You don’t want to waste time sending it to a job you may not consider anyways. But taking 5 seconds to attach a resume to an email is not wasting time in fact it saves it for you and for them, so you avoid scenarios like this of unnecessary back and forth

mom923

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:44 pm
Why do you not want to give? I've always sent a resume with all job inquires. Shouldn't be anything super personal..? If it ends up not being shayich you can just thank them for their time and move on.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
I applied to a few jobs. They were very vague with job description and hours.
I messaged them asking about the job description and hours and they came back and asked for a resume. I would prefer not giving them one if the job us totally not what I am looking for or hours aren't what I am looking for.
Could I just tell them I prefer not giving them one until I hear about the job?

Nobody will consider you or discuss the position without a resume they can hold in their hand.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 10:52 pm
You want to make a good first impression in case you do end up being interested in the job, so you want to sound professional from the first email contact.

I'm also looking for a job. Even if I just want more information, I include a brief paragraph describing my relevant experience (copy-pasted, I don't write a new one every time) and attach my resume. That way they know who I am, why I am asking, and if it's worth their while to respond. It also saves time and awkwardness for me because otherwise I would need to start explaining myself when we are already a few emails or conversations in.

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 4:17 pm
If someone refused to send me a resume, I wouldn't even bother writing their name down on a memo slip. I would a. wonder what they're hiding and b. get the idea that they have an attitude problem, that being that they're doing me a favor applying for this job. That doesn't bode well. Don't waste my time. I understand you don't want to waste your time, but you're the one job-hunting.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 5:16 pm
Of course you give your resume!

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Mar 07 2024, 7:30 pm
It’s not considered applying for a job without submitting a resume and references in my opinion
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics