Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Can someone explain please

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:20 am
The importantce of having a baby be able to rest feet on something while sitting in highchair? What does it affect?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:21 am
It makes a difference in having someplace to ground their feet and their seated positioning and posture. It gives more stability when sitting.

honey36

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:18 am
Can you imagine eating on a bar still with your feet dangling and now where to put them? Most bar stools for have a bar that goes across the middle to at least rest your ankles on, but even that I don't fine super comfortable. Much more pleasant to eat with feet planted firmly on floor (I think for most people.) why would babies be different ?

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:19 am
It’s not a must but they definitely eat better with it.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:23 am
Honestly, as a very short person, my feet rarely sit on the floor in chairs...

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 6:47 am
I'm an OT. Having a footrest helps with overall body positioning and stability while eating. It's not a necessity for a typical baby, though beneficial. But if a baby has poor core strength and/or is having feeding problems, having good positioning with feet resting on a footrest, abdomen supported, etc.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:21 am
I have the 4 mom high chair and it doesn't have a foot rest. My baby's been in it since 7 months. He'd just be reaching it now. Bh he eats nicely anyway. When I go elsewhere and put him in the high chair- he uses the foot rest to help him climb out.... I'm not sure it's a bad thing that mine didn't come with one.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:22 am
honey36 wrote:
Can you imagine eating on a bar still with your feet dangling and now where to put them? Most bar stools for have a bar that goes across the middle to at least rest your ankles on, but even that I don't fine super comfortable. Much more pleasant to eat with feet planted firmly on floor (I think for most people.) why would babies be different ?

I never understood the ‘why would babies be different argument’ Babies do tons of things that I don’t enjoy or find comfortable. I don’t like sitting on the floor, I certainly don’t lie on my tummy on the floor. I don’t drink from bottles, I don’t drink formula certainly. I can go on and on. I don’t think babies and adults enjoy the same things at all

honey36

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 7:51 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
I never understood the ‘why would babies be different argument’ Babies do tons of things that I don’t enjoy or find comfortable. I don’t like sitting on the floor, I certainly don’t lie on my tummy on the floor. I don’t drink from bottles, I don’t drink formula certainly. I can go on and on. I don’t think babies and adults enjoy the same things at all

Ok, maybe your right. That was just my own way of explaining it to myself. I see a difference in how my babies eat when they have some extra stabilization by their feet vs. feet dangling. I've heard this from others as well. Makes sense to me but I don't have any way to prove it actually makes a difference.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:23 pm
Thank you for teaching a FTM new information Smile

mom923

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 4:40 pm
It’s also for choking safety chas’v if they’re choking they have something to push their feet against to cough the food out.
But yes also to teach proper posture when sitting. And for comfort. Not comfy to have your legs dangle for the whole meal.

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 5:10 pm
I have the IKEA antilop high chair without a footrest. I never saw it made a difference. All my kids were good eaters bh.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 1:17 pm
I think it's a safety thing. When they are positioned better, which is helped by having their feet firmly on a footrest, it helps them have more control and less likely to choke. I think as they grow older and they sit better on their own, they need it less.
So I guess it depends - if you're the type who serves your baby only pureed food, I don't think it's as necessary (babies can gag on applesauce too, but they won't choke on it). If you like to give your baby more of a variety like chicken or vegetables that aren't pureed, I'd say try to make sure the baby is more secure.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 2:20 pm
amother Daylily wrote:
I have the IKEA antilop high chair without a footrest. I never saw it made a difference. All my kids were good eaters bh.

I have that high chair too but I bought a foot rest for it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics