Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
First world problem

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 11:08 pm
Hi, my cleaning lady who is very sweet and I am ver nice to her and she worked for me for 12 years has a bit of an issue.

I feel terrible but I guess there is an insect problem in her home. A few weeks ago she came to my house and put her handbag on my couch. A few minutes later, there were ants crawling all over my wall and couch direct line to her bag. It was very obvious. I mentioned it to her nicely and she took it outside and came with a different bag the next time.

Then this week she came and I saw a roach crawling on my wall right near her bag. I never saw a roach in my house since I moved in over a decade ago. I cant be sure it came from her bag but given the history, plus Ive been to her home before (dropped off a meal for her when she was post surgery) , and the location, I assume it came from her bag.

Im so freaked out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 10:59 am
Is there anything I can do?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 12:14 pm
That’s really gross! Maybe buy a plastic storage bin with a cover and you can have her keep her bag and coat in there whenever she comes, this way it stays contained.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:16 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
That’s really gross! Maybe buy a plastic storage bin with a cover and you can have her keep her bag and coat in there whenever she comes, this way it stays contained.

Is there a way I can say this without being offensive? I am so horrified.

Ants I can manage. Roaches are another story though.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:18 pm
I’m so sorry but I’d let her go.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:20 pm
In my experience with roaches, it seems really unlikely that it would have hitched in her bag all the way to your house.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:24 pm
I don’t think the ants would be coming from her bag. It’s more like they live in your walls and we’re attracted to something in her bag.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:32 pm
I am positive the ants came from her bag. I watched the trail directly come from her bag. Ants are a recurring problem and there are no ants in my house. I never had that issue and I saw it unfold before my eyes.

As for the roach, I cannot be absolutely sure but again, I never had roaches ever. Suddenly, I see one right next to her bag and I know she has a problem with roaches given that I was in her apartment a few months ago. She moved to this apartment recently I believe so maybe this is a newer issue.

She worked for me for 12 years. I wouldn't let her go over this but I need some kind of solution.

Light1234

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:36 pm
Could you ask her not to bring a handbag?
You can supply what she needs or give her cash for a ride home.
Yes it can offend her, but nowadays infestation is a financial issue. It can cost hundreds or thousands to take care of. I would tell her that as nicely as possible. If she rents and does not own then she simply doesn't consider that side.
Maybe say, it doesn't bother me in theory, I see house spiders in the bathroom all the time, but I know an exterminator is a cost we can't afford right now. Something like that?

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 7:43 pm
amother Bone wrote:
In my experience with roaches, it seems really unlikely that it would have hitched in her bag all the way to your house.

Roaches can absolutely hitch a ride in a hand bag. I've had a terrible roach problem in my previous apartment and the would come with me everywhere Can't Believe It
I would shake out my stroller every time I left the house, and still they would hide in the crevices and come out when they saw food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette