Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Taking kids to park after school
Previous  1  2  3

Do you take your kids to the park after school?
Usually (more than once a week)  
 23%  [ 31 ]
No/rarely  
 51%  [ 68 ]
Every so often/at least once a week  
 25%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 132

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:20 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
My question is where do you all live?
Just curious…
I happen to have no yard and live on a very busy street.
The closest park is a 25 minute walk.
I love being outside and I never go out with my kids.
Not only that, I almost never go out besides to the grocery.
I think k that other families where I live are like that too.
Some buildings have a shared yard at least.
I am a great mommy but I think it’s a terrible situation.
My son is getting older and the little one are being pulled off the furniture because the way have nowhere to climb.

If you have a suggestion of where to go and how to GeT out of here, please please tell me.
I live in Brooklyn (obviously)

I live in Brooklyn and we were at the park every day this week besides Shabbos and Monday. Where do you live that the closes park is 25 min away? We live 5 minutes from Friends Field, but even so every public school has a playground that’s open in the afternoons.
Also the one thing I love about Brooklyn is that we are always outside because we walk everywhere!
I would not manage inside our small basement apartment with the kids climbing the wall any other way

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:30 pm
I take my kids to the park after school any day the weather is good. But I enjoy it more than my kids do! I usually have to bribe them to go with me. But I think it’s important for them to use their energy and get some outdoor time after a long day at school and I enjoy the sun and outdoors. I’ll admit it, I have a better time than they do.

amother
Impatiens

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:48 pm
amother Peru wrote:
I live in Brooklyn and we were at the park every day this week besides Shabbos and Monday. Where do you live that the closes park is 25 min away? We live 5 minutes from Friends Field, but even so every public school has a playground that’s open in the afternoons.
Also the one thing I love about Brooklyn is that we are always outside because we walk everywhere!
I would not manage inside our small basement apartment with the kids climbing the wall any other way

I live in Boro park and the closest park is 25 minutes away…:

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:57 pm
There are not enough parks in Boro Park (Boro no park?) Especially nice big ones.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Mar 14 2024, 11:59 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Call me a bad mom but I don't take my kids to the park and I don't even sit outside with them.

I work a whole day and come home together with the kids. Firstly, I'm exhausted at that point. I don't have energy to sit outside and watch my 2 year old like a hawk and chase after her so that she doesn't run into the street.

Secondly, I don't have the luxury of sitting outside and doing nothing. I need to to cook dinner, do laundry, clean, cook for shabbos starting wed (I work friday). I can't leave the housework till after the kids are in bed because I'm usually crashing by them

I have a neighbor who has 6 hours of cleaning help every day plus often buys takeout. So of course she can sit outside all afternoon.

I do take my kids to the park on Shabbos afternoon, and Sundays in the summer we go to parks

I HATE that we changed the clock. It was do much easier when it got dark earlier.

Wow I could have written this myself!!

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:06 am
You and a shmillion other women in the same boat. "Bad" moms, unite!

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:08 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
I live in Boro park and the closest park is 25 minutes away…:

Oh sorry I don’t know BP Sad don’t know why I assumed Flatbush

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:08 am
When I had less kids I took to the park religiously. I now have a large family, I'm pulled in many different directions. Everyone is at different stages and it doesn't make anyone good or bad. I utilize my yard more often and that's what it is right now.

ray family

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 12:11 am
We live in Israel where there’s a park on just about every corner.
I take my kids to the park just about every day.

amother
Steel

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:05 am
I go to the park nearly every day from 4 30 for an hour or hour and half.

I live in a tiny apartment with no porch and my boys must use their energy in a healthy way. Either way, it's not like I can stay home and get much done. My toddler needs nearly constant attention so it's easier and happier to do it at the park. We take supper along some days.

I go shabbos morn to the park too.

I only work part time for reference.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:27 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm guessing your screen name needs to be updated Hi

Some lucky people still feel newlywed after six kids and twenty years of marriage.

amother
Molasses

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:40 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
I don't take them much only because they are staggered coming home with the oldest coming about 5:30. I work and come home with the kids. I happen to have a massive yard with a huge swing set and trampoline. They have bikes/roller blades and a basketball hoop. They can always play outside if they want. (I wish they would use my swing set more!)

This week was stunning but I have a newborn (bris tomorrow iyh so brand new) and couldn't go out. Dd actually begged me to take them to the park after school but I told her it won't work for now.
In the spring/summer we do a lot of parks and outdoor things usually. Once in a while after school works but not often.
I try to do supper in the park or meet my siblings once in a while also.

Mazel Tov on your brand new baby boy!
Please take care of yourself. Your kids need fresh air and fun at the park but first they need a healthy mommy . Make sure you’re getting enough rest. You just gave birth. When your baby’s a little older and your body feels stronger you can tuck him into the stroller and take everyone to the park.

amother
Tealblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 5:41 am
In Europe
Work full time
School chugim/clubs finish 5pm, 3/4 of these are exercise based (soccer, gymnastics, dancing for girls, ball sports etc).
If the weather is good we can walk to/from school (10 min walk) if I'm not rushing to work.
Our apartment block has a big enclosed shared outdoor space so the kids can all play there in summer
If it is very hot, I sometimes pack up the evening meal into a picnic and we eat in the shared yard downstairs which is a lot of fun.
We go to the park on shabbos - nothing is nearer than 15 min walk away.

So no park, but so much exercise built into the day

amother
Steelblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:23 am
US OOT
Absolutely not.
When the weather is nice, my kids play with neighbors outside and bike, etc.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics