Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Full renovation cost?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:00 am
If you recently did a full renovation on your home, how much did it cost? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure.

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:02 am
We are doing part of our first floor, including a kitchen and partial Reno of an existing bathroom, and the estimate is $200K

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 12:07 am
Wow just for a kitchen and part of a bathroom? Or is there more on that floor? Living room/ etc?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:22 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
We are doing part of our first floor, including a kitchen and partial Reno of an existing bathroom, and the estimate is $200K

Why so much? Are you doing very high end? I'm looking to put 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in my basement and was looking to spend 50k. I

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:47 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Why so much? Are you doing very high end? I'm looking to put 2 bedrooms and a bathroom in my basement and was looking to spend 50k. I

I do not think that’s the price currently.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 9:49 am
This is an impossible question to answer because a lot will depend on where you live - how large the space is and what rooms you are "renovating".

Of course what finishes you select.

Bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms to renovate.

Even a smaller size bathroom is very expensive because of the cost of skilled labor - I.e. a small bathroom has a toilet - shower - tub but just in a smaller space.

That said, most people who are renovating want to upgrade so I am assuming that someone wants more than the cheapest finishes - I.e. they want solid counters like quartz or granite; they want well constructed cabinets etc. And a frum kitchen is even more expensive because people need double for some stuff.

Good quality applicances - just middle level can be $10,000 or even $15,000 - again depending. Wall ovens are more expensive than a stove because the ovens are more expensive; the cabinet to hold the costs more money; you need a cabinet versus just a blank space to put the stove in AND installation of wall ovens costs money. A good hood over the stove costs money but is far better than a microwave over the stove - all just examples.

If you want an island that adds to the cost. An island with waterfall counters cost more. An island with bookmarked waterfall counters costs even more. Functional cabinets that have deep drawers are more expensive. Well made cabinets are more expensive.

Depending on the size of a kitchen in NY area, it would cost at least $25,000 for moderate finishes. A bathroom with a tile shower would be at least $20,000 if you want a tiled walk in shower as that costs about $8000 to build properly using licensed plumbers; skilled tile setters and workers who waterproof and build properly. The glass for a beautiful frameless shower door costs a lot. Mirrors and lighting.

If remodeling involves any structural changes, that adds to the cost. For example, opening up a kitchen if the wall is structural could be $5000 or even $10,000 depending on what type of replacement support is needed based on the engineer's report - which costs money.

Wood floors are expensive if that is part of the remodeling. Refinishing floors is obviously less expensive.

Painting a whole house interior professionally is expensive.

ETA And the cost of even small things that you don't think about adds up. Knobs and pulls for cabinets. A decent kitchen faucet can be $500 or even more depending on style and finish. Bathrooms need a LOT of hardware - faucets for sinks; shower and bath fixtures; all of the towel holders; hooks, rings etc.

The bottom line is that skilled labor is expensive

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:02 am
I’m following because I’m planning on also doing a kitchen and 3 baths, plus removing two walls, putting in central, fixing some doorways, replacing windows, refinishing floors, changing windows, adding insulation, redoing roof, and I’m also hoping to pay around 200k. It’s really starting to look as though the cost is closer to 400k

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:09 am
What ever you are quoted, be ready for it to end up double. Contractors, electricians, plumbers.... they will all claim afterwards that this and this wasn't included in the original quote and find ways to add on to the price.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:13 am

This is what it cost me ten years ago to do two bedrooms/bathroom/living room/kitchen in my basement. (Very cheap labor and materials) Most ppl I know doing it nowadays are spending more like 100k-150k for that.
Everything has gone up.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:15 am
amother Thistle wrote:
What ever you are quoted, be ready for it to end up double. Contractors, electricians, plumbers.... they will all claim afterwards that this and this wasn't included in the original quote and find ways to add on to the price.

This wasn't my personal experience with my GC

But I had very detailed specifications which were used to bid out my remodel and so the contract I got included costs for those specifications.

My GC was very honest and reliable - great to work with and used very skilled tradespeople. He wasn't the cheapest but you get what you pay for to a great extent. He was recommended and I also toured two of the places he was doing to get a sense of the quality of his work - especially the stuff like cabinets since I was using his cabinet maker for all of my cabinets and other wood stuff.

What is true is that when one does an extensive remodel, there are unexpected expenses that couldn't be foreseen. For example, I had to upgrade my electrical panel because there wasn't enough high voltage circuits to handle all of the new appliances I added when I remodeled the kitchen.

Also as renovation goes on, most people decide that they must as well do other things to upgrade since they workers are there - walls are open etc. For example, I had the flashing in my windows upgraded to protect against water intrusion.

Any construction budget always includes a contingency of at least 10% but I think most people need a larger contingency. I have known a few people who had to severely cut back towards the end because their contingency wasn't enough.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:38 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
This is what it cost me ten years ago to do two bedrooms/bathroom/living room/kitchen in my basement. (Very cheap labor and materials) Most ppl I know doing it nowadays are spending more like 100k-150k for that.
Everything has gone up.

I did 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms last year for 150k so I don't think 50k is so unreasonable for what she is doing.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 11:49 am
DD renovating in Brooklyn
Needed to dig out basement, full extension to the max allowed on each floor, build a 3rd floor, full gut out job, creating parking in front
700K. But she’s also picking some very high end things.
She estimated as the cost of buying a house
She knew what her total budget is

A move in house with everything she wants and in her neighborhood could run upwards $5mil.

Monyka02

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:51 am
We live in Lafayette, and we recently completed a bathroom remodel. The total cost was around $10,000.
Here's the breakdown:
Plumbing, tiling, and electrical work: about $5,000.
Quality tiles, a new vanity, and a shower fixture: around $4,000.
Dumpster rental and other repairs or modifications: $1000.

We hired Home Remodeling Lafayette for the job in case there are others who live in LA.

Last edited by Monyka02 on Sat, Mar 23 2024, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:02 am
amother Thistle wrote:

Why should they do work for free that wasn’t what you paid for? Be sure to know what’s in your contract and know that once you start more things will come up.

Our contractor let us know whenever something came up that wasn’t part of our contract so we could make an informed decision.

It’s also very hard to compare prices here because there are so many variables.

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:28 am
Monyka02 wrote:
We live in Lafayette, and we recently completed a bathroom remodel. The total cost was around $10,000.
Here's the breakdown:
Plumbing, tiling, and electrical work: about $5,000.
Quality tiles, a new vanity, and a shower fixture: around $4,000.
Dumpster rental and other repairs or modifications: $1000.

Hi! It looks like you are new here. Welcome!

Etiquette on this site is not to respond to old posts unless there is a pressing need.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:37 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I’m following because I’m planning on also doing a kitchen and 3 baths, plus removing two walls, putting in central, fixing some doorways, replacing windows, refinishing floors, changing windows, adding insulation, redoing roof, and I’m also hoping to pay around 200k. It’s really starting to look as though the cost is closer to 400k

Your number is shocking. I recently did an 1800 sq ft addition to my house for 400k. If you are just renovating, how on earth do you get to that number?

amother
Black

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:39 am

I’m doing the same thing and average was 50k but all basic no upgrades
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics