Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are people only putting in 4" spots, no 6" spots any more?
Previous  1  2

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:15 pm
Wow. Literally can't wrap my head around the fact that people would go through the work and money of changing their size spotlights because of a trend. Like who cares? Make believe you never looked at instagram. OF course someone in the field will tell you to get the in spots. They're the ones making money of this.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:25 pm
I did 6", I don't like the look of the small ones and how you have to put in many more when you use small ones.
I feel like designers could be obsessed with what's in style because they're constantly building but I'm not planning to move any time soon so who cares what's in style now, it'll be out of style in 5 years anyway so put in what you like.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
I already have the 6" old fashion ones, but all Im seeing on decorator Instagram pages are small 4" ones.

Am I wrong?

Where are 4" spots more appropriate and where are 6" spots more appropriate?

Im not seeing 6" spots lately.

I think if I want to switch my 6" spots for 4" spots, it would mess up my whole ceiling (8 holes to close up and patch).

We put in inserts by the 6" spots for the 4" to fit in because we installed 4" throughout the house

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Correct, but lets say you bought a house that has a few 6" spots, and the room needs way more light, do you add 6" spots that arent used that much these days, or switch them for 4", and have some ceiling patching to do, but have a more trendy look.

We had that. A few 6" and house needed a lot of light. Barely had lights throughout. Read what we did above. I don't remember what the inserts are called. No patching at all

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
We had that. A few 6" and house needed a lot of light. Barely had lights throughout. Read what we did above. I don't remember what the inserts are called. No patching at all

Im so curious about that, how would I see what that looks like?

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:49 pm
It’s called a goof ring, Not very pretty. Keep your 6 inch spots with retrofits and you can put in a modern chandelier. As per my electrician husband.

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:03 am
We recently put in lots of spots in my house. We did 4" ones in the public areas. In bedrooms hallways we did 6" because you get more for your money and not such a public area

DrMom

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:22 am
Oh no, 6" spots!

Now you'll never get a shidduch.

May as well break out the colored tablecloth and paper plates next Shabbat.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:27 am
amother OP wrote:
Im so curious about that, how would I see what that looks like?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=.....3Q%3D

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:38 am
DrMom wrote:
Oh no, 6" spots!

Now you'll never get a shidduch.

May as well break out the colored tablecloth and paper plates next Shabbat.

Its all priorities, Im cheap on clothing.

The entire cost of a ceiling full of spots is probably the equivalent of one or two nice dresses or coats in a typical frum store, and way less costly than the designer shoes and boots I see many wearing.

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Its all priorities, Im cheap on clothing.

The entire cost of a ceiling full of spots is probably the equivalent of one or two nice dresses or coats in a typical frum store, and way less costly than the designer shoes and boots I see many wearing.

Wow, I thought recessed lighting was $100-$150 a piece! I guess either you don't need many lights, or nice dresses are really cheap by you.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:52 am
We did 4 inch (used to have 6 inch) and it's been a nightmare. Dunno if it's the brand we bought (not enough lumens?) Or just the configuratuon but we ended up doing tons of spotlights and it's still not bright enough. I'm assuming 6 inch would have eliminated that problem
But placement is also very important and there's some sort of formula to know how many spots you need in a room. And wish we had placed them differently because I feel like there are shadows.
Also with these LED spots, they were very bright at the beginning but 2 years later I feel that they have dimmed.

The sparkling and sheetrock and paint was also a horrible mess to deal with

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 12:53 am
amother Lemon wrote:
Wow, I thought recessed lighting was $100-$150 a piece! I guess either you don't need many lights, or nice dresses are really cheap by you.

Our playroom needed 8 spots. Our living room got 12. They were 100 apiece. 800-1200 dollars would get me a looooot of clothing! I don't spend more than $100 or so a dress. The clothing I get for the kids are way cheaper than that. (Clearly I don't shop in Jewish stores!)
That being said, these spots are for life. They're not being changed no matter how trends change.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics