Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Are people only putting in 4" spots, no 6" spots any more?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 10:56 pm
Im only seeing the 4" integrated recessed spots used now.

Lighting people and decorators seem to be using only 4".

Are there exceptions where 6" spots are better than 4"?

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 10:59 pm
You can order on Amazon 6 inch ones

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 11:06 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
You can order on Amazon 6 inch ones

I already have the 6" old fashion ones, but all Im seeing on decorator Instagram pages are small 4" ones.

Am I wrong?

Where are 4" spots more appropriate and where are 6" spots more appropriate?

Im not seeing 6" spots lately.

I think if I want to switch my 6" spots for 4" spots, it would mess up my whole ceiling (8 holes to close up and patch).

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 11:08 pm
Sunco Lighting 12 Pack 6 Inch Ultra Thin LED Recessed Ceiling Lights Slim, 4000K Cool White, Dimmable 14W=100W, 850 LM, Smooth Trim Damp Rated, Canless Wafer Thin with Junction Box - Energy Star

They are showing smaller ones. We put these in. I may do 4" around dining room table.

This is something you should ask a decorator. I am really not sure how big of a deal to close up the holes and make smaller holes is

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 11:15 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
Sunco Lighting 12 Pack 6 Inch Ultra Thin LED Recessed Ceiling Lights Slim, 4000K Cool White, Dimmable 14W=100W, 850 LM, Smooth Trim Damp Rated, Canless Wafer Thin with Junction Box - Energy Star

They are showing smaller ones. We put these in. I may do 4" around dining room table.

This is something you should ask a decorator. I am really not sure how big of a deal to close up the holes and make smaller holes is

Why did you choose 6" spots if most are using 4" spots?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:52 pm
BUMP

Im only seeing the 4" integrated recessed spots used now in residential projects.

Lighting people and decorators seem to be using only 4".

Are there exceptions where 6" spots are better than 4"?

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:00 pm
Are you having problems with your 6" spots? Why would you need to change?

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:03 pm
Most people think 4" spots are prettier.
With 6" spots you'll often need less spots for the same space, so that's why people would do it, to save money. Or if someone happens to like the look of the 6" spots better. It's not a major deal either way.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:22 pm
Big deal it’s a trend. Do you update everything in your house as the styles change? I’m confused. This is going now.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:21 pm
From what I hear from a popular electrician and a decorator, putting up a modern chandelier next to 6" spots, is like wearing your up to date clothing with a totally out of date pair of shoes.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:23 pm
Most people don't change light fixtures like they change shoes. It sounds like a strange analogy.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:30 pm
We bought our 2018 built house with 6 inch spots around the house. (Hallway, kitchen, living room) Dining room didn’t have anything so we brought an electrician down and he said 4 inch is more popular but he can do whichever we like. We went with the 4 inch, it’s more elegant. We’re not changing around the house though, keeping the rest as it is. We bought replacement 6 inch spots off Amazon because some of the lights started flickering after we bought.

amother
Aster

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:30 pm
We put in spots about a year ago. Our contractor friend told us 4" is the norm now. But you know what? They looked dinky and small and we liked the look of 6 so we went with 6. I don't really care what "the fashion" is, I care what I like.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
Most people don't change light fixtures like they change shoes. It sounds like a strange analogy.

Correct, but lets say you bought a house that has a few 6" spots, and the room needs way more light, do you add 6" spots that arent used that much these days, or switch them for 4", and have some ceiling patching to do, but have a more trendy look.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:35 pm
We added 6 inch spots In the kitchen and living room since some areas had nothing. Wouldn’t redo everything for 4 inch. Our dining room had nothing there so we choose 4 inch as it’s a totally separate room.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 8:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Correct, but lets say you bought a house that has a few 6" spots, and the room needs way more light, do you add 6" spots that arent used that much these days, or switch them for 4", and have some ceiling patching to do, but have a more trendy look.

This is a question only you can answer for yourself. Is it worth it or not to spend the extra money for the trendier look?

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Depends on my taste and budget
If I like the look much more and have the money sure why not
If I don’t have the money then no
If I have the money but don’t care for the look then no

amother
Red

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:07 pm
Also just saying... a trendy look will soon be a dated look.

Imo 6" in classic. But what do I know?

I really don't pay attention to the size of people's spots.

chanatron1000

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 9:15 pm
amother Chambray wrote:

And you can wear vintage shoes with a new outfit. There's nothing wrong with it.

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 10:07 pm
I just did a new house with 6 inch. I think the smaller ones look like a showroom and you need more of them to get equal light. Not for me but I wouldn’t rip out spots for a trend like that either…
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics