Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Solar Eclipse 2024
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:23 am
It's going to be 89% in Lakewood and I'm happy with that. I'm not traveling 4 hours to upstate New York.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:30 am
Can anyone who’s familiar with human psychology explain the fascination with this? Don’t get me wrong I’m fascinated too, but why?

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:33 am
Totally random but if I have an event that I’m traveling from Brooklyn to Lakewood that day will this increase traffic? Where exactly are people going and when?

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:38 am
amother Jade wrote:
That’s do sunny because I live in Dallas and barely know about it. Tell me why it’s worth leaving work for a few min 🙈

It gets DARK in the middle of the day, the animals--crickets chirp/birds/zoo animals laydown as if it is night time, it gets cool temps like night, and then within an hour of the eclipse (or so depending on the time, I think last time it was much shorter) it goes back to day. It is REALLY cool.

In 2017 there was a LOT of hype about it in the NY area--which was NOWHERE near totality and yea it was a no-biggie, but if you are RIGHT THERE it is an amazing experience. You can see the corona--or the covering of the sun by the moon.

miami85

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:42 am
amother Opal wrote:
Can anyone who’s familiar with human psychology explain the fascination with this? Don’t get me wrong I’m fascinated too, but why?

Because it is a complete break from normalcy. Imagine it getting dark in the middle of the day--where I live its going to be DARK at 1:30pm and then by 3pm it will be back to normal. We were in a 99% zone during the 2017 eclipse and it was dusky and hazy and the streetlamps went on, crickets were chirping, we were in South Carolina in August so it was HOT during the day, but it got cool during the eclipse, but we couldn't get any closer without missing it completely.

We're thinking it would be really cool to be at the zoo during the eclipse to see how the animals handle it, but we think we're not the only ones who will have that idea.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:45 am
Check out NASAs website. There is a map that shows where and when the eclipse will be visible.

Solar Eclipse 2024

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:33 pm
We're going to be close to totality, only need to drive 20 minutes for it, but I have an appointment for my daughter from 1:30-2:30 so not sure how that will play out with the timing and traffic.

Same daughter was 5 days old by the one in 2017! I remember having all my kids home as it was between camp and school, my husband was at his first day back of school, I had mastitis, and my newly engaged sister was visiting. Feels like a lifetime ago....

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:35 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Haven't decided yet, but we might. Is there anywhere else in upstate NY other than Buffalo or it has the be that area?

Rochester

patzer

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 6:41 pm
I'm totally excited! I travelled to South Carolina for the 2017 eclipse and it was definitely worth the trip.
I'm planning to travel to Niagara for this one. I already booked my hotel room back in May! Unfortunately, the weather predictions don't look too promising....anyone else in the same predicament? Nerd

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:23 pm
I live in Hamilton, Ontario and am in the path of totality. Probably just going to go outside and check it out.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:32 pm
I live in Cleveland so I am all set for this. I am excited to see it.

amother
Yolk

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:36 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I live in Cleveland so I am all set for this. I am excited to see it.

I'm here too.

For all the seasoned eclipsers, I'm confused.
I got eclipse glasses from the public library, and they are completely opaque. What are they for?? You can't see through them.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:44 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I'm here too.

I got eclipse glasses from the public library, and they are completely opaque. What are they for?? You can't see through them.

I imagine that when you look straight at the sun you can see the eclipse happening. They are meant to protect your eyes... have you ever tried to look directly at the sun? It's SO bright I can barely open my eyes.

patzer

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:57 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I imagine that when you look straight at the sun you can see the eclipse happening. They are meant to protect your eyes... have you ever tried to look directly at the sun? It's SO bright I can barely open my eyes.

During an eclipse, part of the sun will be blocked. You will be physically capable of opening your eyes. However, the sun's rays will be as strong and dangerous as ever. That's why looking at an eclipse can do so much damage.

patzer

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:59 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
I'm here too.

True. The only thing that you can see out of eclipse glasses is the sun. Go outdoors on a sunny day and look up at the sun using your eclipse glasses, just to get the feel of them prior to the eclipse.

A_Mother_First

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:48 pm
patzer wrote:
During an eclipse, part of the sun will be blocked. You will be physically capable of opening your eyes. However, the sun's rays will be as strong and dangerous as ever. That's why looking at an eclipse can do so much damage.

This! Please be careful!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:40 am
We're traveling from NY to VT, to Burlington. Heard it's less likely to be cloudy near water.

For those saying "we're only getting x% coverage but that's enough for me", you're totally missing the point. Ask anyone who's seen 100% totality and they'll tell you even 99% doesn't compare. People literally fly across the world to chase total eclipses. We're very excited that we'll get to see this one, only annoying thing is we'll need to shlep our little kids with us. Ah well.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:49 am
patzer wrote:

Says who?

redrose

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:45 pm
Tried to look on the map, is Syracuse the closest place to nyc that will have total eclipse? I liked what poster mentioned to visit zoo that time....any zoos in the area?

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 10:20 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
We're traveling from NY to VT, to Burlington. Heard it's less likely to be cloudy near water.

For those saying "we're only getting x% coverage but that's enough for me", you're totally missing the point. Ask anyone who's seen 100% totality and they'll tell you even 99% doesn't compare. People literally fly across the world to chase total eclipses. We're very excited that we'll get to see this one, only annoying thing is we'll need to shlep our little kids with us. Ah well.

Also traveling to Burlington VT! I have a hotel room booked, but not sure if I will use it, or just drive in the day of...
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics