Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How much do you spend a season
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:58 pm
And let me just add, there are definitely people out there who will be looking at what babies are wearing, but I really don’t care to be admired by people THAT shallow.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:18 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Ahhh the sweet young days. I remember when I had only one child and I thought my toddler needed to be bedecked in high fashion. Yes we could afford it then and we still can now. What changed is that my family and my kids grew and I realized with age and wisdom that no one and I mean no one cares what your 2 year old is wearing.

Yes teen girls should look nice, and teen boys should look clean, well laundered and fitted. But babies? Nah.

Except with that age and wisdom comes teens who care way too much what their two year old siblings are wearing. Sigh

Tao

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 10:21 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Except with that age and wisdom comes teens who care way too much what their two year old siblings are wearing. Sigh

The answer to this is to be smart like me and have boys LOL LOL

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:20 pm
OP, I get you. I love nice things. I would never put my kids in hand me downs on a regular basis (once in awhile someone passed on a great find) and I definitely wouldn't do gap or target for shabbos. And I don't save much for the future bc obviously they gotta match Wink

I wear nice clothes, nice shoes and nice jewelry. My kids have nice stuff, coordinate colors and look put together (past the seudah all bets are off!)

That being said some things I've learned over the years
- mix it up- this year I did two kidichic outfits, Lil leggs outfit and I'll probably add a zara/ h and m for backup
- weekday go cheap especially for the summer it gets gross if they go to camp and they outgrow it in 2 seconds
- shoes check out places like Nordstrom and shockingly sometimes amazon- you can get name brands, totally Jewish styles and better prices
- hair stuff- Ali is really the way to go. My daughter loses everything so I don't have to worry about a $5 headband

But seriously OP 8 shabbos outfits or even 6 for a 2 year old is legit crazy and overboard. I would say around 3 to 4 is fine. Kids get stains, they get messy and unless you're greeting Moshiach I wouldn't sweat. I used to stress out so much about the clothes, the stains, etc. And I realized it was killing me. Also, they will one day have their own opinions and for some reason want to wear stuff that makes them look like clowns. I try to stress it but sometimes my son is out in sneakers on shabbos and my daughter insists on wearing her ugliest shoes that were for dress up

Your mom- she can buzz off unless she is paying

Enjoy your daughter but seriously $1600 is way too much lol

Love,

A fellow jap (or whatever the Yiddish words imamothers use)

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:14 am
Gosh I wouldn't even spend that much on myself!
I maybe spend $200/$250 max for an entire wardrobe for a 2 yo.
I cannot even fathom spending that much.
I have a hard time spending $150 on an outfit for myself!

imaima

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:18 am
amother OP wrote:
How much do u spend a season on yourself and ur kids?

Currently have one daughter (2)
I appreciate designer things but know how to find a good deal. I get all her stuff on sale.
I spent a total of abt 1600
Between shab and weekday
I got her 8 shab - probably shld hv done 6

I like variety. And not willing to shop in gap or target or Ali.

I think I did pretty good considering how many things I got. And I know if I had gone to any Jewish stores here in Lakewood, I would hv spent more.

Husband thinks I’m crazy
So curious to hear what u all spend

I think this price is insane

I don’t spend so much on 5 kids.
My 2 y.o. Has 4 shabbos outfits but only likes 2. She doesn’t get them so dirty too.

imaima

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:21 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack
Like I said , 8 is a lot. I agree. I didn’t realize how many I got and shld hv gotten less.
But at same time , my family goes away for yt. And with 6 days yt (2 outfits a day) - I don’t even hv enough.
I would say 6 is a nice number for a toddler.

I don’t hv anyone to get hand me downs from. I’m an oldest

I’m not saying I can’t afford it. But at same time I can’t yes afford it.
Idk if that makes sense at all.
Was the credit card paid, yes. But was it no big deal, no.

I also said I don’t shop on Ali. I grew up shopping Jewish brands or designers and I appreciate tht kind of stuff.
Also they last longer. Iyh for my next daughter I will be able to hand down a lot

Okay going to a program or your In-Laws Community would have me buy more outfits and stuff just to fit in. I understand that.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:26 am
amother OP wrote:
I think the word designer is misleading
I’m talking shab stuff they sell on Jewish stores
New society
Stella McCartney
Bonpoint
Bobo choses

The most expensive shab thing was $150

And again, I know I overdid the shab stuff
Repeating while on a program is nearly impossible bec I don’t have access to washing machine. And my mother wouldn’t be too happy with tht anyway

I had a friend who worked in a shop with kids designer. Presidents and foreign politicians shopped there.
This kind of allows you to gauge who these clothes are priced for and where you stand.

amother
Marigold

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:59 am
Op, I understand you because I love nice things, I have a 3 year old girl, I also go to a hotel.

But I spent $800 on a complete wardrobe. The designer brands I buy all last season. Especially, if you don’t have to match kids it’s much easier to find.

To breakdown
7 Shabbos dresses
1 new season brand name- was the biggest splurge, 4 past season, 2 ha me downs. Total $335

8 weekday sets: 4 designer last season, 1 new season set, 1 Ali, shorts for H&M and tees from Zara
Total
$215

Accessories
Crochet knit Shabbos socks from Ali. The look like condor. I paid $17 for 12 pairs so I don’t have to worry about losing them or getting them dirty
I also got 16 bows for $5 from Ali

2 Shabbos pjs for $43 though I do need more

Shoes Shabbos $85, $15 hm weekday

Spent a lot in underwear- buying tons, shirts because we’re toilet training and plus basic white weekday socks $50

Total around $800

My other kids are boys and older so I barely spend on them. They have lots of things from last season.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:07 am
8 shabbos outfits is wayy too much.
I have also only a 2 year old daughter who I love buying beautiful clothes for.
I find 3 outfits good, she is too young to stay up for friday night and is asleep before shabbos even comes in and generally only needs one outfit for Shabbos day.
3 is more then enough for that! If after a while I feel its not I will buy one more outfit after yom tov.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:30 am
I don't know how much I spend a season, but I have a feeling it's maybe half for 4 kids. I usually do 1-2 Shabbos sets matching and the rest not. My matching is usually Kidichic or similar. I don't care about designer at all. But I don't think I'm your target audience. Weekday I also like to do sets but also not high fashion. I'll do a few and then the rest of the time they don't match. (Which is perfectly fine with me.)

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:57 am
amother OP wrote:
How much do u spend a season on yourself and ur kids?

Currently have one daughter (2)
I appreciate designer things but know how to find a good deal. I get all her stuff on sale.
I spent a total of abt 1600
Between shab and weekday
I got her 8 shab - probably shld hv done 6

I like variety. And not willing to shop in gap or target or Ali.

I think I did pretty good considering how many things I got. And I know if I had gone to any Jewish stores here in Lakewood, I would hv spent more.

Husband thinks I’m crazy
So curious to hear what u all spend

It is crazy.
I spend like 250-300a year with shoes and tights, per kids. Boro park sales at designer spot and kidichic
Per kid

My oldest is turning 6

amother
DarkOrange

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack
Like I said , 8 is a lot. I agree. I didn’t realize how many I got and shld hv gotten less.
But at same time , my family goes away for yt. And with 6 days yt (2 outfits a day) - I don’t even hv enough.

I also said I don’t shop on Ali. I grew up shopping Jewish brands or designers and I appreciate tht kind of stuff.
Also they last longer. Iyh for my next daughter I will be able to hand down a lot

Honey you adjust life....I also grew up with fancy brand name clothing got married like a princess...well I got adjusted to life and im proud to say I buy ali and target stuff...

Also no you don't reuse clothing anymore...the styles change way to often!

DVOM

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:37 am
I don't think 8 Shabbos outfits is too much. I have a 2.5 year old, and I buy her about that amount. Between food messes and toilet training messes we can go through a lot of clothing!

1,600$ on one baby's wardrobe though sounds insane to me. If you can afford it, and you and your husband have similar properties in terms of spending, a be gezunt! Problem is, it sounds like you can't afford it, and your husband does not share your views.

Over time, I believe the stress of living above your means, of fighting with your spouse to spend more than you have against his wishes, will outway the joy of the designer clothes. Just one woman's opinion.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:56 am
Op, you think your going to pass the clothing down to the next child. It won't happen, life is very different then when you were a kid. Ironically to save the environment our fabric is not the same high quality fabric you were once able to where. Designer clothing and shoes make no difference. Years ago you mother might have bought you a thousand dollar Burberry dress to pass to your sister, but today clothing are only meant to be worn 1 season that's why your numbers are to high. BTW to the other posters, Ali clothing is very poor quality for a toddler it's hard to wash out stains, not cheap enough for a toddler to be worth it.

To op start by lowering your standards a bit, it's to hard to go down in everything. If you feel you need 6 outfits buy some high designer and some medium designer etc. Everyone has their standard children's place was the go to store years ago and now its only ok to buy pants from them-dont ask me why. For everyday clothing if it makes you feel good buy 2-3 designer outfits and supplement cheap clothing for the rest of the week. Primark is the cheapest, h and m, zara are good places to shop for fashion. For pajamas maybe you could get designer had-me -downs . You could try for 1-2 main designer pj's that you love. Then supplement for cheaper stores

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:40 am
I spent about $150 total on my 2 year olds summer clothes
Not including shoes and socks

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 4:43 am
I hope your husband has a fantastic job and you as well because $1600 per season for a 2 year old means likely double for a 12 year old… and that’s just 1 kid!!

If your husband was ok with it that’s one thing but if he’s upset, it’s just not right of you. I also appreciate expensive things but I buy from Zara at that age.

We are saving and investing so instead of buying designer things I’m putting away all that money…

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:12 am
I spent 1,300 on my three year old. But I can afford it , he’s not my oldest I own home have a lot of savings. My husband doesn’t even notice that I spent it as we can afford it. Since your young try to save every month. Buy a few on sale in advance, mix and match the designer stuff with hm and Zara - your kid will look cute. At your age my goal was to save for a house.

Lets Talk

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:23 am
Even 6 Shabbos is a lot. I think 3-4 Shabbos outfits is more than enough!

Lets Talk

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 5:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi OP here
Ok so let me backtrack

I'm not even focusing on how much each outfit was. I don't think you need 6 outfits. 4 is enough. 6 days yomtov- There is chol hamoed in between and most Rabbis say washing laundry for children is allowed.
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics