Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
ASD services in NJ

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:51 pm
We are moving to NJ from another state and I'm curious what my child with ASD will be eligible for via the state or what insurance companies usually cover there. Also do we need the school district to come out and do an evaluation for an IEP? Or can we just do what we feel is best, etc. With the yeshiva? The yeshiva we are sending to works with an agency that pushes into the classroom with services. Just not sure what we are entitled to, etc.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:59 pm
In general, ASD services in New Jersey are received through health insurance. Unless you live in Lakewood proper, you'll get almost nothing from the board of Ed.

Depending on their insurance, children can qualify for many hours of services being billed as either floor time or ABA. Medicaid is especially helpful for this.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:32 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
In general, ASD services in New Jersey are received through health insurance. Unless you live in Lakewood proper, you'll get almost nothing from the board of Ed.

Depending on their insurance, children can qualify for many hours of services being billed as either floor time or ABA. Medicaid is especially helpful for this.

We don't qualify for Medicaid. Have insurance through my husband's work. Where we live now any child with asd is entitled to state insurance even if already covered through parents so things like prescriptions are free. Anything like this in NJ?

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:56 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:

what services are avail boe in lkwd for asd. once child is in primary?

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
We don't qualify for Medicaid. Have insurance through my husband's work. Where we live now any child with asd is entitled to state insurance even if already covered through parents so things like prescriptions are free. Anything like this in NJ?

unfortunately not, the income bracket is very low for state Medicaid even for a child with a disability.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:01 pm
There have been threads about this in the past year. if you want to search. Was a lot of good information.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:11 pm
I'll just say the best place for you to ask this question is the PRIVATE Lakewood forum (Lakewood NJ area concerns). I don't want to go into detail here.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:18 pm
I found this one https://www.imamother.com/foru.....45391

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:27 pm
I was advised by my ABA agency to get DC on a private insurance. It costs me 370/mo which is nothing considering how many hours of services it covers. The main problem was I had to wait for open enrollment get the insurance and services.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:30 pm
amother OP wrote:

Isn’t that through OPWDD?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
I was advised by my ABA agency to get DC on a private insurance. It costs me 370/mo which is nothing considering how many hours of services it covers. The main problem was I had to wait for open enrollment get the insurance and services.

Which insurance did you take? When I called Cosmo, they gave me a plan that cost close to 600.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:56 pm
We will be on united Healthcare.

So is my best bet to move and then call an agency and ask them to help me set stuff up?

We will be about 45 mins from Lakewood, idk if any agencies service that far

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:00 pm
Just be prepared that New Jersey gives a fraction of what New York City gives.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:01 pm
Yes once you move you will get in touch with an agency that works with your insurance and they will set you up with everything available to your kid.

You can reach out to yaholam for guidance https://www.yahalomunited.org/.....ersey

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:01 pm
If he has an asd official diagnosis they can’t deny you most services. It’s the ticket to services in nj.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Just be prepared that New Jersey gives a fraction of what New York City gives.

Well we were never moving to NYC so...yeah lol

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
Yes once you move you will get in touch with an agency that works with your insurance and they will set you up with everything available to your kid.

You can reach out to yaholam for guidance https://www.yahalomunited.org/.....ersey

Thank you so much!!

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:06 pm
Any agency servicing NJ will take u. Prob have around 100 at least to choose from lol
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics