Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
HF ASD- what support do you get and where do you live?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:18 am
My son was diagnosed. He’s very high functioning bh but any help he gets paid out of pocket. (Not in US currently.)

He’s almost 7.

Thinking of moving of south jersey near Lakewood area or Florida- Boca area.

Any schools in either location that cater to the high functioning crowd? Now he’s mainstreamed.

How about ABA services? Speech, OT ect.

Tell me snot where you live and what services you receive. Is it from government, through insurance?

I now currently pay upwards of $750 a month for 3x a week speech, 2x a week Kodesh support. No ot or aba or anything he needs sadly. Instead I send him to art groups, sports ect this is what I can afford.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:22 am
You should include age. Is Israel on the radar? If so he'd be elligable for a disability stipend, along with some savings on other things for you like taxes and rent.

In addition there's therapist through insurance as well.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:29 am
LovesHashem wrote:
You should include age. Is Israel on the radar? If so he'd be elligable for a disability stipend, along with some savings on other things for you like taxes and rent.

In addition there's therapist through insurance as well.

Thsnk you. I edited.

I’d love it to be Sad But DH doesn’t want.

Wow, that’s amazing. Even for HF?

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Thsnk you. I edited.

I’d love it to be Sad But DH doesn’t want.

Wow, that’s amazing. Even for HF?

Yes! There is a learning curve on figuring out what tests and paperwork you need to get into all these benefits/systems but once you are approved its great.

After 18 there's a health basket of other services that include a social worker, a Mardicha, support for figuring out a career, paying for a course or a degree, accommodations for higher education, fun activities, a chug, a support group depending on what city you live in, money towards stuff for your apartment, and money off rent to name a few.

There's other benefits that apply at any age like not waiting in lines, cheaper entrance fees, disability parking in more severe cases, etc.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 8:06 am
in israel you get lots of money from the government to give your child all the support he deserves. plus schooling options are amazing. there is so much support here for parent and child of hfasd. free therapies etc....
I dont know about the US. what is your location currently? I do know someone in boca with a hfasd son, and there are really not much options there as far as schooling.

happy7

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:24 am
In many states, an ASD diagnosis is a door opener.
Many states have the child carry their own insurance.
Meaning, even if the family doesn’t qualify for Medicaid, the child with ASD will get his OWN Medicaid and many services will be paid for by the state. I am not in NJ, I am on the east coast now. My child, also almost 7, is very very high functioning right now and in a regular school. He has some learning challenges, dyslexia etc, and he has services through the state for speech, OT. He will eventually need a one-to-one bec he as ADHD and that is a classroom challenge. I don’t want to put him in public school, but if it comes to that one day, I might have to. In public school, he would be eligible for many many services

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:28 am
I am on the east coast with HF ASD child. We get free OT, speech, behavior therapy in class room twice a week in class roam free from government. We get ABA full time in school from insurance (Medicaid).

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:31 am
I live in Lakewood and there’s an abundance of resources with children with that profile. If you have an ASD diagnosis, and your insurance covers ABA therapy, there’s literally a hundred agencies that can help and insurance will cover the cost. Many yeshivas have special programs for children with HF ASD as well as private ASD centers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:55 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Yes! There is a learning curve on figuring out what tests and paperwork you need to get into all these benefits/systems but once you are approved its great.

After 18 there's a health basket of other services that include a social worker, a Mardicha, support for figuring out a career, paying for a course or a degree, accommodations for higher education, fun activities, a chug, a support group depending on what city you live in, money towards stuff for your apartment, and money off rent to name a few.

There's other benefits that apply at any age like not waiting in lines, cheaper entrance fees, disability parking in more severe cases, etc.

That’s really incredible!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:56 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
in israel you get lots of money from the government to give your child all the support he deserves. plus schooling options are amazing. there is so much support here for parent and child of hfasd. free therapies etc....
I dont know about the US. what is your location currently? I do know someone in boca with a hfasd son, and there are really not much options there as far as schooling.

Thanks. My location is irrelevant as all support I get now is from my pocket.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:57 am
happy7 wrote:
In many states, an ASD diagnosis is a door opener.
Many states have the child carry their own insurance.
Meaning, even if the family doesn’t qualify for Medicaid, the child with ASD will get his OWN Medicaid and many services will be paid for by the state. I am not in NJ, I am on the east coast now. My child, also almost 7, is very very high functioning right now and in a regular school. He has some learning challenges, dyslexia etc, and he has services through the state for speech, OT. He will eventually need a one-to-one bec he as ADHD and that is a classroom challenge. I don’t want to put him in public school, but if it comes to that one day, I might have to. In public school, he would be eligible for many many services

That’s good to know because I probably can’t qualify for Medicaid.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:57 am
amother Oleander wrote:
I am on the east coast with HF ASD child. We get free OT, speech, behavior therapy in class room twice a week in class roam free from government. We get ABA full time in school from insurance (Medicaid).

Wow. Is this just your school or every school? Are you in NJ?

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:58 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
I live in Lakewood and there’s an abundance of resources with children with that profile. If you have an ASD diagnosis, and your insurance covers ABA therapy, there’s literally a hundred agencies that can help and insurance will cover the cost. Many yeshivas have special programs for children with HF ASD as well as private ASD centers.

Whether this helps or not depends on how highfunctioning the child is. ABA therapy is not the recommended model for high functioning ASD.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 11:59 am
amother Hotpink wrote:

Thank you. I’m looking near Lakewood but would bus into if I need to (and can get into a Lakewood school)….

ASD center is after school? Are they generally covered through insurance?

I wonder if his diagnosis will carry over or if I’ll need to redo the whole thing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:00 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Whether this helps or not depends on how highfunctioning the child is. ABA therapy is not the recommended model for high functioning ASD.

Can you tell me more please? I’m not familiar.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:

OP, please beware. This is very misleading and not my experience at all.

Most of these services are geared for kids up until school age, which is about 6. You said your child is already 7.

Once they are in school, there are very few services available at school. You need to either private pay, or your insurance may cover some therapy, but the services are scattered and uncoordinated. Sometimes you need to pick up your kid and take them to the appoinments and sometimes there are some agencies who have therapists available at the school (you pay). You need to work very hard to coordinate with everyone (principals, teachers, therapists) and to be on top of what they should be focusing on - though there are ppl who do case management for a private fee. There are yeshivas that have a self-contained class for some grades, but it is dependent on the grade and on the government funding. These classes are mainly for kids who are behind academically for English only and they do not specifically cater to ASD. There is a school for ASD kids called Kochvei Ohr, I wouldn't call those kids high-functioning, though the eventual goal is to mainstream the kids. I actually went down and observed and had lengthy meetings with the staff. The people who run it are wonderful and caring, it may be worth while to reach out to them.

My take is that there is not much here in Lakewood for an older school-age child. The resources are for kids up until age 6 and even then, the ABA is not very skilled its more like babysitting. Everyone and their little sister is suddenly an ABA therapist because there is government funding for these agencies. Not for an older child at all.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:38 pm
I'm in Israel. My son is 7 with HFA.

He gets a lot bH. We get a monthly stipend. Autistic kids even HF get 4k a month unless they have a sibling with disability. Then it's more. We pay just a co-pay for OT. He gets it at home because our insurance didn't have appointments.

He gets speech in school. Also resource room (which he mostly doesn't need BH. He's a genius but has fine motor issues.) He also gets art therapy at school but he doesn't like it so he plays games instead. He has a shadow that takes him out of class to work on things.
He also started hydrotherapy but that most kids qualify for. We pay a co-pay.

There's an amazing school for HFA charedi boys but it's 45 mins to an hour on a bus (covered by government). I preferred to keep him mainstreamed because he had already started first in a reg school before dx. He takes Adderall and bH he's thriving.

I feel very blessed. He was diagnosed last year.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:43 pm
I am in Chicago and have 3 boys with a bunch of different issues. They get speech, OT, academic support without having to shlep them around. Class sizes are a lot smaller then Lakewood but not too small that a kid with social issues has no friends.

We have an amazing program called Reach https://www.att.org/reach/

If your willing to consider the midwest, its worth reaching out to them.

Also the menahel for grades pre1a-2nd is the best.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:46 pm
Autistic kids usually receive 3,479 not 4k. 4k is usually for severe special needs

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 12:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow. Is this just your school or every school? Are you in NJ?

No it would be in any school. I live in PA.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)