Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Support for moms of children w Down Syndrome

sped

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:10 am
Is there on-line support for frum mothers with children with Down Syndrome?
I have a young neighbor who has a baby with Down's and she feels very isolated.
I really feel that she needs a connection with other mothers who can guide her and support from experience.

way2go

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:23 am
You can pm me. There is lucky moms, a large group me chat. There may also be something more local to her depending on location. Yahalom, agudah division for families with children with special needs may also have some resources.
Did she receive a packet from touch of care? They put together a beautiful one for new moms

Last edited by way2go on Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

way2go

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:24 am
And thank you for recognizing that she has a baby WITH down syndrome and not defining the baby by diagnosis

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:06 am
Hamaspik has lots of stuff
Nishmoseini hotline and online coffee room in Yiddish or English
718-759-1111
Pillars support for information and guidance
+1 (347) 693-8080
Stardust in person support groups
Great people to help her apply for all types of services, grants, ssi, Medicaid, food stamps or anything she may be eligible for
7183878400 and they will connect her to the right extension
Also a chol hamoed trips for the family coming up

sped

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:35 am
Thank you so much for responding!
Are all these specific to the US? She lives in Israel.

sped

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:37 am
way2go wrote:
And thank you for recognizing that she has a baby WITH down syndrome and not defining the baby by diagnosis

This is one of my pet peeves. (I work in the field and yes, children are first children always.)

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:44 pm
sped wrote:
Thank you so much for responding!
Are all these specific to the US? She lives in Israel.

Anyone able to call a 718 area code can listen to nishmoseini. Nice shiurim and interviews. The coffee room part you have to sign up for. They Yiddish coffee room is very active, I think the English one is pretty quiet.

Re pillar support- may be more on localish support/services avail, but always worth a call!

Sarah sander that publishes dsau used to be a member here- don’t know if she’s still around but can get you her email address if needed- she speaks to many parents who need support

Stardust I believe is only in Brooklyn and the chol hamoed trips amother mentioned is also a NY based thing for those with services thru specific agencies.

There are orgs in E’Y too for children with sn. I remember reading an article about an organization called nosni or something like that. Hopefully the Israeli imas can help you!

Mazel tov and lots of nachas!

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:45 pm
way2go wrote:

So true!

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:46 pm
Also, if your neighbor is English speaking she can sign up for the neshamala magazine. It’s really beautiful!

way2go

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:05 pm
way2go wrote:
You can pm me. There is lucky moms, a large group me chat. There may also be something more local to her depending on location. Yahalom, agudah division for families with children with special needs may also have some resources.
Did she receive a packet from touch of care? They put together a beautiful one for new moms

The lucky moms chat has people from all over the world. A strong ny/NJ presence but there are people from EY and many other places

happymommy12

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 3:32 am
Shalva
https://shalva.org.il/

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:33 am
My child has a syndrome but not Down’s syndrome. I’m allergic to chizuk. What I need is validation. I don’t want to hear how lucky I am…
When being there for her make sure you serve her the meal she wants

sped

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:24 pm
Thank you all!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics