Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Asd daughter



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 8:11 pm
My daughter was recently diagnosed with asd. She is so so cute but also the hardest child everrrrrr. She tests my every word. Makes me feel like a complete loser because I have no way of controlling her most of the time. Sometimes I get really angry and yell and I feel so guilty. She told me the ither day you have to talk nocely you yell alot and that brought tears to my eyes. When when I yell its usually something dangerous and I need her to stop. Sometimes I have to take something away and instead of taking I grab it. Sometimes I have to carry her because she's throwing a tantrum and I'm not so gentle. Sometimes I cry because I feel like a monster because I want to celebrate when she isn't home. I have such anxiety when I'm home with her. It's like I can't do anything else because I need to watch her. I have other kids and she requires most of my attention. She has all therapies and everything possible.... nothing seems to really help unfortunately. Just venting here......
Back to top

amother
Navyblue


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 8:15 pm
Vent away. Just know I get it and you’re not alone. It’s hard having a hard child. I lose my cool also but I always try to calm myself quickly and explain what happened and why I reacted that way.. easier said then done.
Back to top

amother
Lightcoral


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 8:20 pm
You are a wonderful mom who is doing everything for your child! It's okay not to be perfect 24/7! You are amazing!
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
    
 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 8:50 pm
I'm so sorry. It sounds so hard. I'm a teacher for kids with autism. They're in kindergarten. I've taught special education kids for 12 years but this year all my students are autistic. It's a specialized class. I love them so much, these kids are so pure. Nothing they do is with malice. I truly believe that all behavior is a forn of communication when it comes to them.
That said, it is hard work! I learned a lot from the kids. I ask why they do certain things etc and try to put myself in their shoes. I definitely scream sometimes and get frustrated with them but I try so hard not to. I'm not sure how old your daughter is. Bh she can verbally communicate.
I also learned to tell them what you want them to do as opposed to "don't run" say "walking feet"
How old is your daughter?
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:28 pm
CPenzias wrote:
I'm so sorry. It sounds so hard. I'm a teacher for kids with autism. They're in kindergarten. I've taught special education kids for 12 years but this year all my students are autistic. It's a specialized class. I love them so much, these kids are so pure. Nothing they do is with malice. I truly believe that all behavior is a forn of communication when it comes to them.
That said, it is hard work! I learned a lot from the kids. I ask why they do certain things etc and try to put myself in their shoes. I definitely scream sometimes and get frustrated with them but I try so hard not to. I'm not sure how old your daughter is. Bh she can verbally communicate.
I also learned to tell them what you want them to do as opposed to "don't run" say "walking feet"
How old is your daughter?
4, she communicates very well bh. I hate that I get frustrated at her alot.
Back to top

CPenzias




 
 
    
 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
4, she communicates very well bh. I hate that I get frustrated at her alot.

I don't blame you one bit! It's hard! Give yourself grace and kudos to you for coming here to seek help. There are groups on Facebook and Instagram also that can help. My friend wrote some cute books on neurodivergence as well. (Nicole Filippone)
Ask her why she does whatever it is and see what she says. Also, once you calm down explain why you reacted the way you did. "Mommy screamed at you because I was afraid you would get hurt from doing that. It's dangerous. I'm sorry I screamed, I love you so much" and tell her what you want her to do as opposed to "don't climb" you can say "feet on the floor" ❤️
Back to top

amother
Amber


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:58 pm
We've had a lot of success taking the biomedical route -- addressing the biological and medical root causes of asd. I can recommend some books if you're interested
Back to top

amother
OP


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 11:01 pm
amother Amber wrote:
We've had a lot of success taking the biomedical route -- addressing the biological and medical root causes of asd. I can recommend some books if you're interested
sure
Back to top

amother
Rainbow


 

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Amber wrote:
We've had a lot of success taking the biomedical route -- addressing the biological and medical root causes of asd. I can recommend some books if you're interested


This. My kid was diagnosed adhd, taurettes , gad, unspecified mood disorder and possibly asd.
The book finally focused was an eye opener.
We did lots of neuropathic stuff and body work.
She's currently on medication for adhd and tics but the other diagnosis fell away.
Back to top

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children

Related Topics Replies Last Post
My ASD son is going to kill me
by amother
43 Sat, May 25 2024, 7:47 pm View last post
Trazodone for sleep for ASD/ADHD son
by amother
0 Fri, May 24 2024, 8:25 am View last post
Going out in public with Asd child
by amother
6 Thu, May 23 2024, 5:55 pm View last post
Daughter’s assignment 2 Thu, May 23 2024, 7:49 am View last post
So many posts about ASD recently
by amother
9 Wed, May 22 2024, 9:48 pm View last post