Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
RWMO/JPF in Florida?
Previous  1  2

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:44 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Jpf is not wearing short sleeves and pants, or eating vegan or going to a shul with no mechitza. . Mo pasken you can wear short sleeves and pants. Mo pasken you can eat vegan with no hechsher. Mo pasken you can have a shul with no mechitza. These are facts not opinions. Secular learning and working and all that exists across every community.

I don't think you know what mo is at all.

Hope no one believes this nonsense!

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 8:58 am
And to get back to the point, the OP said RWMO. If the JPF community follows the 3 things I pointed out re education, kovea itim, and Israel, then yes they're pretty much the same. So I hope people won't be deterred from listing and JPF communities they know in Florida because of some warped conception of MO. I would if I knew Florida demographics.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:03 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
And to get back to the point, the OP said RWMO. If the JPF community follows the 3 things I pointed out re education, kovea itim, and Israel, then yes they're pretty much the same. So I hope people won't be deterred from listing and JPF communities they know in Florida because of some warped conception of MO. I would if I knew Florida demographics.

I already posted that every community in Florida has a shul that can be considered jpf and/or rwmo.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:17 am
Im raising a chasidush clan in right wing community. Defending mo to my children (and hubby ) is a big pet peeve of mine. Mo is a derech. With a shita. Talmudichachamim that poskin according to. Modern chasidem or litvaks are not Modern orthodox!!!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:17 am
RWMO and JPF do overlap in terms in practical Halacha and everyday life. The differences are more in terms of hashkafa for things like secular media and there are slight nuances in dress. For example RWMO women cover hair, elbows, knees colorbone, but some might wear sandals and a fall which shows an inch of hair. For schools, RWMO is more likely to send to a MO school with similar RWMO students and JPF is more likely to send to mainstream bais yaakovs/yehsivas. In OOT it definitely overlaps more since the communities are smaller with less school options than NY/NJ. From what I’ve heard about Boca, it sounds like it could be a good fit.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:41 am
People's practical life does not necessarily reflect their ideals.

For example, two women may both read non-Jewish fiction. But they may have totally different beliefs and ideals around that activity.

One may view it as a bedieved form of entertainment or relaxation that would be ideal to give up, even if it is technically not assur lehalacha. She doesn't feel strong enough to do so, but she admires women who never read any non-Jewish fiction and considers them on a higher spiritual level than herself. She doesn't stop her kids from reading non-Jewish fiction, but she also doesn't advocate for it and would be perfectly happy if they had no interest in it.

The other may feel that her reading of non-Jewish fiction is lehatchila, that it enriches her intellectual and spiritual life. She encourages her children to also read and feels they are missing something important if they choose not to do so.

The fact that these two women may bump into each other in the public library doesn't mean they are the same.

Rabbi Manning has a source sheet of some excerpts sharing Rav Aharon Lichtenstein's views on the intrinsic value of non-Jewish "chochma," including the humanities.
https://rabbimanning.com/wp-co.....n.pdf

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:22 am
Hilarious how ppl on Ima have literally no idea what MO means and stands for.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:18 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Hilarious how ppl on Ima have literally no idea what MO means and stands for.

Can we hear your words of wisdom??
What does it stand for?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
RWMO and JPF do overlap in terms in practical Halacha and everyday life. The differences are more in terms of hashkafa for things like secular media and there are slight nuances in dress. For example RWMO women cover hair, elbows, knees colorbone, but some might wear sandals and a fall which shows an inch of hair. For schools, RWMO is more likely to send to a MO school with similar RWMO students and JPF is more likely to send to mainstream bais yaakovs/yehsivas. In OOT it definitely overlaps more since the communities are smaller with less school options than NY/NJ. From what I’ve heard about Boca, it sounds like it could be a good fit.

My impression of boca was that it is for older people. not that DH and I are such spring chickens, our kids are older teenagers which is why we're looking into Florida in the first place, but we don't wanna only live around people our parents age either.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
My impression of boca was that it is for older people. not that DH and I are such spring chickens, our kids are older teenagers which is why we're looking into Florida in the first place, but we don't wanna live around people our parents age either.

Boca has a very large community of families, including your demographic.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:15 pm
Boca is not just for old people. I think it has all ages.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 9:41 pm
One of them main differences between rwmo and lw yeshivish is background and education. And that also feeds into a cultural difference too. So basically, it’s just different and spend some time talking to people and you’ll probably pick up on it right away. I did not mean to get everyone all riled up when I made that statement; there’s nothing wrong with either. It’s just different.
(If anything, my personal view is that rwmo is generally more serious and hashkafically solid than lw yeshivish. And dh and I are probably lw yeshivish according to some who judge. Went to yeshivish-ish schools and we definitely don’t keep everything the way we were taught. We follow how we were raised, which is a more “lite” version, torah im derech eretz style.)

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 10:15 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
One of them main differences between rwmo and lw yeshivish is background and education. And that also feeds into a cultural difference too. So basically, it’s just different and spend some time talking to people and you’ll probably pick up on it right away. I did not mean to get everyone all riled up when I made that statement; there’s nothing wrong with either. It’s just different.
(If anything, my personal view is that rwmo is generally more serious and hashkafically solid than lw yeshivish. And dh and I are probably lw yeshivish according to some who judge. Went to yeshivish-ish schools and we definitely don’t keep everything the way we were taught. We follow how we were raised, which is a more “lite” version, torah im derech eretz style.)

I can relate to this. I'm a shadchan on SYAS, and I've learned from experience that while there are of course exceptions, many times a single who identifies as Modern Yeshivish will not be compatible with one who labels him/herself MO Machmir.

Even though on paper they may look similar in practice, someone who grew up in Brooklyn, Lakewood, or Monsey and then veered to the left has a completely different background and worldview from someone who grew up in Teaneck and then moved to the right.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating