Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Find me a school!! Urgent!
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 6:59 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
I would look at both schools in Baltimore-Bais Yaakov and Bnos Yisroel. They both have different flavors and sizes and resources. I have friends in both schools who have been very happy with how these types of situations have been handled. (obviously, it's not perfect and I also have friends that haven't been thrilled).
Baltimore itself is a very open and accepting community in many ways and I find it filters down to the kids also.

Can you please tell me more about Beis Yaakov and Bnos Yisroel? How big are the classes? What resources do they have? How do they handle kids who are different?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 7:01 pm
amother Canary wrote:
I was also thinking to suggest TSGW. They aren't special ed. But they do have a very big emphasis on middos and its a school with an overall positive, warm feel. Depending if there are one or two (girls) classes in your daughter's grade, her class might be as small as 12-13 girls (though some classes have closer to twenty if it's just one combined class). There's another trending thread on Imamother about TSGW/Silver Spring so maybe check that out...

Will add it to my list to look into! Thanks!

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:30 pm
First of all, hugs to you. OP. 2E kids are hard, and in the Jewish world doubly or triply so, for a girl even worse. We have our own and it's really difficult.

It's amazing that you're willing to move for your daughter. But before you move, especially to a small town with only one school, be aware of this. Bullying can be much much worse in a small town than a large one. In a large town, you can switch your kids school. You can switch their class to get away from a particularly bad offender. Out of town, in a small class with only one class per grade, there's no escape. Also, in a large class, she might be able to find another brilliant kid who can have a conversation with her. If she's one of eight kids in a class, she's even more isolated in some ways. In a large Jewish community, there's a chance she can meet other Jewish kids on her wavelength outside of school. In a small community, there are just fewer options.

I'm not telling you what to do. If I had solutions for myself. Maybe I'd have something to say to you! But just be aware of this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:36 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
First of all, hugs to you. OP. 2E kids are hard, and in the Jewish world doubly or triply so, for a girl even worse. We have our own and it's really difficult.

It's amazing that you're willing to move for your daughter. But before you move, especially to a small town with only one school, be aware of this. Bullying can be much much worse in a small town than a large one. In a large town, you can switch your kids school. You can switch their class to get away from a particularly bad offender. Out of town, in a small class with only one class per grade, there's no escape. Also, in a large class, she might be able to find another brilliant kid who can have a conversation with her. If she's one of eight kids in a class, she's even more isolated in some ways. In a large Jewish community, there's a chance she can meet other Jewish kids on her wavelength outside of school. In a small community, there are just fewer options.

I'm not telling you what to do. If I had solutions for myself. Maybe I'd have something to say to you! But just be aware of this.

That is a good point. But we are stuck where we live in terms of schools...the other schools are completely inappropriate, have worse bullying situations, are worse about helping kids with different needs (their answer is hold back but definitely won't help!!), or would just refuse to accept a kid with a "known issue".
So if we aren't sticking with the current school we have to move.
We are just exploring options now. Seeing if we know anyone in recommended cities and maybe making a pilot trip to the best option or two. But first have to make our lists...

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:56 pm
Ilan high school in Deal NJ is superb. Small school with excellent staff and education. All girls school, teachers mostly from Lakewood and frum hashkafa, but not a beis yaakov per say( no uniforms etc). It is a regular mainstream school that has a no bullying policy and really strives to give girls confidence and bring out the strengths of every student.
It is a Sephardic high school, but has about 5 Ashkenaz girls girls in every grade of about 30 girls. So this can set her up apart if that’s the case but the school tries to be as inclusive as possible and may be open to giving support in this area… also look into the grade of girls as there are some more dramatic than others (as always).

Also many girls bus in daily from Brooklyn, and Marbolo, Highland Park..

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 10:15 pm
I think the Silver Spring and Baltimore (Bnos is smaller BY is huge) suggestions are a good one. I know that kids travel to/from both for high school. I wonder if any travel for elementary as well- this way you could possibly send your other kids to a different school if you felt it was better for them, Silver Spring more out if the box than Baltimore

tidepool

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:01 pm
http://maayanpdx.org in Portland.
Sensitive staff, warm and positive school, aides in the classrooms, and zero bullying ever. Amazing school and community.

autism mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:01 am
OP, what did you decide on? I just came across this thread and my daughter also goes to by of bay parkway, although I'm happy there, I'm also looking into other options. I think my child can do well in a reg mainstream. Academic environment, but in a small sz class option.
I also dislike this whole DOE process thing they have going, with the fair hearings and all, it really overwhelms me.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:09 pm
Gan yisroel of Boro park have 3 sections to their school
Regular mainstream kids
Special ed section
And then transition classes where the kids are sometimes in a small class of about 7-10 kids and then some time in the mainstream classes.
They're very much into focusing on the individual child, and giving each kid love

They accept everyone I think...
Think it's a mix of chassidish kids and maybe a few litvish, I don't know exactly though...

autism mom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:24 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Gan yisroel of Boro park have 3 sections to their school
Regular mainstream kids
Special ed section
And then transition classes where the kids are sometimes in a small class of about 7-10 kids and then some time in the mainstream classes.
They're very much into focusing on the individual child, and giving each kid love

They accept everyone I think...
Think it's a mix of chassidish kids and maybe a few litvish, I don't know exactly though...

I never heard about the transition class sounds interesting.. how is it funded? How would I be able to find out more information?

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:26 pm
I had my son in a class of 7 for a year so he could learn certain skills he wasn't getting in his class of 20 but honestly, I would not do it longer then a year or two. It gets very stifling and I think it makes for a lot of pressure because you need to get along with everyone or your on the outs in such a small class.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:51 pm
autism mom wrote:
I never heard about the transition class sounds interesting.. how is it funded? How would I be able to find out more information?

Google
Gan yisroel church avenue and call them and ask to speak to Mrs gancfried.. I worked there in the past, I was really impressed with her, she's in charge of the special ed (and transition I think)
Bichlal it's a really warm and living place

Hatzlocha!!!

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:13 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
It might be worth it to check into Tiferet of Teaneck, a pod school program for elementary girls. Very small class size, individualized learning paths, lots of social/emotional skills teaching.
You can email tiferetofteaneck@gmail.com for more information.

I live in Teaneck and have never heard of this school. Who runs it?

OP, I have a similar dd and it’s hard. Bergen County schools have enrichment and supportive services, but most are coed except RYNJ and Noam. What outside help have you already gotten, maybe it can help me.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:57 pm
I think she could go to any mainstream school preferably one that has a challenging academic program and then on the side, work with her on the social aspect by learning skills on how to stand up to bullies and some continuous social skills practice, support, and education.

Frumomsi

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:14 pm
I know im reiterating what has been posted earlier but moving for a school is tricky. There are many aspects of family life that can impact your child and putting all your eggs in one basket is a risk. Also, since high functioning kids with challenges tend to be more unique, finding the right match is very difficult. I would rather work with a professional you trust than ask anonymous women on a website for ideas. They don’t know you, your family or what your child’s actual strengths and weaknesses are.

Story

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:58 pm
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you have in mind, but there is a school that specializes in ADHD in Philly (I think it might be in the subarb of Elkins Park)

Wish I could move there for my son, heard about it on this podcast:
https://thefranciskashow.libsy.....stein

https://torahtide.org/
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics