Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
ISO Great recipe for Seder meal chicken with minimal liquid?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:11 am
edited: Can anyine suggest a great recipe for Seder meal chicken with minimal liquid?

Anyone have an amazing recipe for (10) chicken bottoms that I can make on the stovetop, in a parchment lined tin, with minimal liquid, thats not goulashy/soupy for the Seder meals?

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:25 am
Can you cook with foil pans on the stove? I'd be so nervous!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:25 am
how do you cook in tin foil on a stove top?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:30 am
sounds so unhealthy

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:33 am
I never used foil on stovetop
If you feel you must, try it first today with something small, see if it’s possible. I think not.
You can cook in a pot or bake in the oven and then transfer to a foil pan to heat on a plata or a blech. (The blech is not for religious reasons. I know you don’t need a blech on Yom Tov. I use a blech because I don’t think you can put a foil pan on a flame.)

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:34 am
Pretty sure foil will disintegrate on direct flame hot enough to cook chicken. Have you actually tried this before?

teachkids

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:45 am
So many questions- first of all, using tinfoil and parchment on the stove is very unlikely to work.

Second, unless your minhag is otherwise, most people hold Seder meat/chicken needs a good bit of liquid.

Is there a reason you can't cook in your oven and rewarm on a hot plate/ bleach?

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:59 am
I've heard of people doing this, but I also understand that re the temp that aluminum can melt, one is literally "playing with fire" & can maybe be at best messy if it burns a hole, or c'v a fire hazard? Directly on a flame temp can get much hotter than inside a more precisely controllable oven.

Maybe if one needs easy cleaning up "hacks", can one cook by lining a non-disposable pot or pan with Parchment paper? Maybe add a little water under the parchment?
Maybe invest in a counter-top Betty that uses pre-cut Parchment paper sheets for easier clean-up?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 9:59 am
amother Periwinkle wrote:
sounds so unhealthy

If its lined w parchment why would it be unhealthy?

And yes Id use a blech. I want my oven free for other foods. But Im thinking I can fry the chicken w onions first in a pan until it gets a color, and then continue in a crockpot.

Liquid-wise, how much liquid has to be in the frying pan when I start? Is the liquid I get from the onions, and a little wine enough?

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:04 am
amother OP wrote:
If its lined w parchment why would it be unhealthy?

And yes Id use a blech. I want my oven free for other foods. But Im thinking I can fry the chicken w onions first in a pan until it gets a color, and then continue in a crockpot.

Liquid-wise, how much liquid has to be in the frying pan when I start? Is the liquid I get from the onions, and a little wine enough?

Would you consider getting an instant pot? I use mine all day long for two days before pesach.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:18 am
watergirl wrote:
Would you consider getting an instant pot? I use mine all day long for two days before pesach.

Im not looking to toivel something before Pesach.

How are the resyults of a instant pot different than a crock pot?

Can anyone suggest a great recipe for Seder meal chicken with minimal liquid?

teachkids

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:23 am
Really you need to find out how much liquid you need according to your minhag

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:27 am
teachkids wrote:
Really you need to find out how much liquid you need according to your minhag

We abide by OU and CRC, what does the OU or CRC say about amount of liquid?

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:27 am
Why minimal liquid?

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:29 am
For others, why does it need a certain amount of liquid? My MiL fries everything.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:33 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Why minimal liquid?

Because I dont want anything soupy looking or tasting.

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:40 am
I’ve kashered silverware by putting a 9x13 filled with water on the stove and boiling the water. I wouldn’t do a terribly high flame but nothing happened. You do need a decent amount of liquid though because if the pan begins to burn, that can be very dangerous.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:52 am
When an aluminum pan burns it creates vapor. (I read that this vapor will actually take solid form again once it reaches a certain temperature. Breathing in these vapors can actually get these tiny aluminum particles into the lungs.)

You know how to aluminum foil looks rubbed out- like the surface layer is missing on the bottom pan layer of a sterno that gets almost direct heat from the sterno fuel can fires? You don't want that to rub off into the food.

You can use a foil pan on a blech that's not on top of direct heat- to warm the food. Not directly on top or on a temp that can actually cook the food.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 12:09 pm
There is a strong minhag to avoid roasted meat and chicken Seder night. So many have a soupy chicken or pot roast.
Fried is considered roasted.
Can you cook it in a sauce?

Imabubby60

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 5:29 pm
Chicken with onions, pineapple and apricot preserves or duck sauce. Ketchup optional.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics