Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Hep Shot in the hospital
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:05 pm
I've heard that the hepatitis shot in the hospital is only necessary for people who are around drugs. And maybe pr-stitutes? I don't remember... something about it not being necessary for a frum woman's baby. Is that true? I do give vaccines in general. Should I skip that one? It's just about yom tov here in Israel, but baby should be coming any day now and MIL just mentioned it...

happy chick

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:07 pm
no to hep b, but the k shot is very important

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:11 pm
According to the history of this specific shot I read that the Hep b was originally intended for a specific population.
They were unable to reach that population so they decided the easiest way was to give to everyone. How? Newborn in hospital.

It is absolutely not necessary for newborns who are no s3xually active and whose moms arent fooling around.

fig

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:26 pm
Completely not necessary. Doctors stopped giving hepatitis B because it wasn’t necessary so they forced mothers to give it in the hospital instead…

best

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:30 pm
Most people get long-term immunity from the shot. https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/h.....life.

99 % of kids who get only 1 dose at 6 months can prove immunity via blood test, legally acceptable in all USA school instead of 3 doses

Download the FDA Insert and read section 6.1 ,safety study. How many kids ,which age , for how many days.

Read https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8 6

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 12:48 pm
happy chick wrote:
no to hep b, but the k shot is very important

Why

happy chick

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Why

Especially for boys. It's for blood clotting.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 2:10 pm
happy chick wrote:
Especially for boys. It's for blood clotting.

There are differences of opinion on that, tbh. The statistical chance of needing the vitamin k shot are very slim. Natural vitamin k levels rise about a week after birth. There is also an oral vitamin k option that is generally not offered in hospital in the US, but parents can order it and administer the drops themselves if they prefer.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 2:50 pm
My pediatrician sister told me it’s totally unnecessary to give in hospital
She is super pro vaccine but she told me this one in extra, especially because our practice gives it again at the 2 month well

Not sure what she would say if they didn’t give it again though

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2024, 2:06 pm
Thanks all, I really appreciate it. Now I'm confused though because I got to take a look at a pregnancy/birth book over yom tov and they said the Hep B vaccine is given in the hospital and a couple more times after birth (3 total?) and they said that Hep C is actually the one mostly caused by drug use. So what is Hep B vs. Hep C and which is caused by drugs and how is the other caused? Do most people who don't give in the hospital still give at the later times? I'm going to do some googling now, but hearing real people share real views is always helpful. (You guys who responded before yom tov probably still have yom tov now, but maybe fellow Israeli imas can answer now. Thanks again, everyone!)

zebra111

Post Mon, Apr 29 2024, 2:27 pm
Hep b is given at birth because it is passed on through bodily fluids. That includes blood. It isnt killed off by a wipe of alcohol solution. Newborns have an open 'wound' - the belly button. All it takes is the woman who gave birth before u to be a hep carrier (and yes there are many in israel) to be putting ur baby at risk of being infected with a non curable disease. All this for one of the 'safest' vaccines given to babies. I say all this as a registered nurse

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 29 2024, 3:39 pm
zebra111 wrote:
Hep b is given at birth because it is passed on through bodily fluids. That includes blood. It isnt killed off by a wipe of alcohol solution. Newborns have an open 'wound' - the belly button. All it takes is the woman who gave birth before u to be a hep carrier (and yes there are many in israel) to be putting ur baby at risk of being infected with a non curable disease. All this for one of the 'safest' vaccines given to babies. I say all this as a registered nurse

Thank you so much for responding! I always feel better hearing both sides of the story. Is Hep B really spread so commonly in hospitals (and elsewhere)?

My MIL said she saw a baby in the hospital with foam coming out of its mouth caused by this shot, and that she heard a different baby was foaming at the mouth from this shot not in the hospital and died the next day. I don't know what made her connect the shot to the foam or the death... is there any true connection here?

zebra111

Post Mon, Apr 29 2024, 5:45 pm
Listen every vaccine has a chance of a bad reaction. Personally ive never heard of anyone reacting to hep b..
And is it common here? Well put it this way, any person who works in a hospital, even say tech people who work on the computers and dont come into any contact with patients all have to be vaccinated for this before being accepted to work.
Its not as common in our communites as maybe in others, but it only takes one person being infected to cause damage (my friend tells of when she worked in icu and a man with diabetic foot, aka many open wounds, had hep b..his friends 'kindly' took him to the busiest mikveh in town on erev yom kippur..I sure hope everyone else who was there was vaccinated)

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Apr 29 2024, 7:46 pm
If you are in Israel and don't give it at the hospital, they will give it at tipat chalav in a few weeks. After that, all the boosters are at the same times (it is a series of shots).

I am not a doctor, but I am a biologist, so I have some knowledge, but am not at all qualified to give you medical advice (any advice here is my own opinion based on my own knowledge). This vaccine is given very frequently in Israel and other places and is generally not related to foaming at the mouth or death. Most babies get it with no significant side effects. One of my kids got it at the hospital and one only got it later at tipat chalav (she was preemie, although I think preemies can get it, but I guess it depends on other health stuff too). Neither of them had any side effects that I noticed.

Hepatitis B is not related only to drug use or from sleeping around, it is an infectious disease that is more common than people think and can be transferred through body fluids. It is more common in some countries than others, and I recall that it is more common in Israel than in America (or at least it used to be that way). Hepatitis B as a disease is definitely more devastating as a disease than the vaccine is - the chances of a significantly bad effect from the vaccine are lower than from a significantly bad effect from the disease itself.

My advice is to give it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 3:27 am
Thank you both, this is very helpful.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 10:42 pm
zebra111 wrote:

Safest vaccines? https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21058170/

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:07 pm
Delete

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:33 pm

English3

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:52 pm
They dont give this vaccine in uk so I guess your baby is safe as are all the million others.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:43 pm
Are you interested in contacting 2 attorneys who have won compensation from the Federal government for a few kids who where harmed from hep b at birth ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics