Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Oops forgot to put the key in the challah

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:48 pm
I forgot to put the key in the challah. Do I poke it in the bottom or just not do it? I know its not a halacha, and an unknown minhag or segulah at best. hmmm

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:05 pm
Poke it in at the bottom, or between the sections of the braid. Wrap it in foil or baking paper first.

essie14

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:13 am
Just stick it on top when you serve it.
There are no rules.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:37 am
I don’t really have a regular door key because we have an electronic door and don’t have enough extra copies to put one in. I feel that the. Segulah is mitzvah of taking challah with a bra ha.

amother
Pansy

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:20 am
Don’t do it. The source is actually in idolatry and does not have Torah origins.

patzer

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:22 am
amother OP wrote:
I forgot to put the key in the challah. Do I poke it in the bottom or just not do it? I know its not a halacha, and an unknown minhag or segulah at best. hmmm

It seems that your challah will be missing a key ingredient this week.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:23 am
amother OP wrote:

Google key in loaf this is a Christian practice. We used to do it until we learned from a convert about the origin. We stopped and bh we saw great reward in parnassah.

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:24 am
patzer wrote:
It seems that your challah will be missing a key ingredient this week.

LOL LOL

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:26 am
amother Pansy wrote:
Don’t do it. The source is actually in idolatry and does not have Torah origins.

True! May we all be saved from hidden avoda Zara which Christians brought into pre war Jewish communities. Rachmanah litzlon

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:30 am
amother Watermelon wrote:
Google key in loaf this is a Christian practice. We used to do it until we learned from a convert about the origin. We stopped and bh we saw great reward in parnassah.

Hilarious
reverse segulah

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:40 am
Many don't use any key just a shape

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 6:23 am
[quote="amother Watermelon"]Google key in loaf this is a Christian practice. We used to do it until we learned from a convert about the origin. We stopped and bh we saw great reward in parnassah.[/quote that is interesting. I posted above that I did not put a key in. Just something doesn’t sit 100% with me about it. But now you’re telling me that there’s a legit reason and I made challah after pesach this year, and financially, we are actually in a much better position than we did in the past. I tried to make whenever I can, because of the. Mitzvah. I’m not perfect, but I try as much as possible to make it regularly not just once a year. Someone once told me that it’s better to buy other things and make challah but sometimes it’s just too much

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 6:24 am
Sources
https://gamzouletova.blogspot......l?m=1

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 6:57 am
https://hakirah.org/Vol35RonPreRelease.pdf
Recent scholarly research on the topic. The good news: it’s not avoda zara or sourced in Avoda zara. The bad news: everyone’s doing it wrong. The sources clearly say to make holes or lines in the challah USING A KEY. It’s supposed to look somewhat like a matzah. That’s it. No baking the key in it. No shaping the whole thing like a key.

This just isn’t going to do it Smile

jflower

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 8:06 am
https://kankanjournal.com/a0601/

Read this fascinating account of the Maharal of Prague.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note